What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 Delayed Until 2012 by Retina Display Problems?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_display.JPG

MacRumors today published a report that seems to add further credence to the latest rumours from sources in Apple’s supply chain that have all been pointing to the fact that there will be no iPad 3 before next year. I know that many of you never believed for a minute that Apple would release another iPad before the end of 2011, but the rumours have been quite strong for several months that that was exactly what Apple intended to do. However, most of the current rumours and supply chain leaks are all about delays pushing the iPad 3’s launch date back to 2012. Today’s story on MacRumors comes from a report on Digitimes, which says that Apple has put a halt on its iPad 3 supply schedule, because, sources say, the new 9.7†2,048 x 1,536 display is producing such bad yields. According to the report, this new, high-res panel needs a much bigger backlight source, which is giving the current iPad 3 design all sorts of problems. It would seem that having a thinner and tougher iPad 3 that is still able to support the demands of a state-of-the-art Retina display might be proving to be more than a little problematic.

Source: Apple Pushes iPad 3 to 2012 Due to Retina Display - Mac Rumors

cjoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
carlosarias1 said:
i'm actually glad its delayed, i just bought the ipad 2 and would hurt to sell it so soon in order to get the ipad 3 (i'm poor)

I second that! I just paid off my iPad 2 in July so my finances need a rest.

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyway you know we can all sell our ipad2 (in good condition) and with a 20% more get an ipad3, apple products hold their resale value very well, at least this is what I have been doing since iPhone 2g!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The problem with these rumors is they all assume that a production ramp in October means an October release.

The supply chain has to be up and running many months before the release of a product like the iPad 3.

Keep in mind that in order to meet the last two year sales numbers, Apple had to build 40,000 iPads A DAY. Yes, that's A DAY, 7 days a week.

If you expect to ship 2-3 million units the first month, you need to start building these early...

Suppliers are expected to be able to supply parts in volume MONTHS before any product announcement...

There was never a plan to ship the iPad 3 in October. They would have to be in full production 150+ days proir to the announcement in order to have 3M units ready - IF they took only 50% of the current manufacturing capacity of 40k units per day.

It's never been 2011. It's always been 2012. The only question is when in 2012, since there are rumored problems with the larger retina display.

Someone has to be able to build 40,000 displays a day with no defects...

-t

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never believed that the iPad 3 will be released in the same year as the iPad 2. Its only recently that supplies for the iPad 2 caught up with the demand. Next year would be the best time for them to release the new model.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Supply has still not met demand internationally. In Malaysia, the waiting time is still 3-4 weeks unless you order from the Apple store and have it shipped directly - then it's only 2 weeks...

-t

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh... I see. The it's really more likely that the next iPad will be released next year. Lots of people are still lining up for the current model which was released no too long ago. Releasing the new one now would not be wise.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some years ago I worked for a semiconductor company. Their new microprocessor chip had about a 15% yield - i.e. 85% of the chips were faulty. This is far from unusual when a new process technology is introduced. They encapsulated these faulty chips in clear acrylic plastic as key fobs and sold them in their in-company store. The joke in the factory was they made more money selling the key fobs than the microprocessors...

Tim

Most reactions