What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD 3 Convert Videos

wozapw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Peeps
I am trying to load movies onto my IPAD 3 trying to get the best image so blu ray films and high res, I can find converters that convert the movie files into IPAD 2 format but NOT 3 format? I have tried to convert into IPAD 2 format but when viewing it plays with a black strip top and bottom above the movie.

I am on a mac and would be grateful if you could help directing me to free software?

Thanks in advance.

Wozapw.:rolleyes:

finallap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wozapw said:
Hi Peeps
I am trying to load movies onto my IPAD 3 trying to get the best image so blu ray films and high res, I can find converters that convert the movie files into IPAD 2 format but NOT 3 format? I have tried to convert into IPAD 2 format but when viewing it plays with a black strip top and bottom above the movie.

I am on a mac and would be grateful if you could help directing me to free software?

Thanks in advance.

Hello there!
I,ve bought a new player to my IPod 3(HDPLAYER) on Apple store.Its fantastic.I saw anime short movies to analise 720 and 1080p.
The colors are fantastic and the 720p movie is fantastic too.
In 1080p, sometimes in some speed movements we see that the IPad isn,t so good to play these high resolution movies.
Well, I,ve tried one player only.I,ve read on the Internet that the software "new iPad hd converter" is really good and was made to new iPod 3.
try it.Sorry for my poor English .
Best regards

finallap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wozapw said:
Hi Peeps

Thanks in advance.

My player is AvplayerHD.
Sorry for this mistake...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would spend money on software to butcher a movie for their iPad. If there are black bars at the top and bottom they are needed because of the width of the film. If you crop the movie to fit the screen, you are throwing away part of the movie on the right and left, or scretching it is some weird way to get it to fit the screen. Ignore the bars and use handbrake to rip, as it is free. Or watch the movie on a bigger screen so the bars on top/bottom don't matter.

finallap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I don't understand why anyone would spend money on software to butcher a movie for their iPad. If there are black bars at the top and bottom they are needed because of the width of the film. If you crop the movie to fit the screen, you are throwing away part of the movie on the right and left, or scretching it is some weird way to get it to fit the screen. Ignore the bars and use handbrake to rip, as it is free. Or watch the movie on a bigger screen so the bars on top/bottom don't matter.

Did I Wrote black bars?I don,t see this word in my message...
Yes I,ve bought this software to use it with also FTP services.I,ve try some other applications but this is the best one for me.
Spend money?Of course...quality isn,t always free.If I want a free or a simply tablet I don't buy an IPAD.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, you didn't say that, the op did. But you don't need to spend money to remove blackjack strips at top or bottom. And hankbrake does a wonderful job and is free, and you don't need to remove black strips.

And it was the other guy who suggested strip out the black strips, not you. I use av player hd too, as it makes it easy to transfer movies to iPad.

Last edited:

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Wondershare ripper for this. Not free but works great!
Btw I use an iMac so if you have a Windows pc, the program I used to use and worked great was Magic DVD Ripper.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mini_mi said:
I use Wondershare ripper for this. Not free but works great!
Btw I use an iMac so if you have a Windows pc, the program I used to use and worked great was Magic DVD Ripper.

I use Magic DVD Ripper too. The setting for Apple TV gives a high quality rip for the new iPad. It's fast and can cope with DVDs from most sources Including TV episodes.

L

Lunar

I use WinX and that supports the new iPad 3, another decent one is Aiseesoft which handles blu-rays.. but not free, however their prices are very low, I use their converters too, for handling HD m2ts files from my Panasonic 3mos SD600 camcorder. (look superb on iPad)

On the subject of the black bars top and bottom, WinX automatically crops them out...(You have manual options too of course) it does'nt affect the aspect size of the end picture you will see, it appears exactly the same as one that has not had the bars cropped out, but you do end up with a smaller file size.

Why would you want to keep the bars, as part of the picture when you convert.. doesn't make sense... bit like having a sheet of A4 paper where the top and bottom 2" are blank, if you cut off those 2" blank strips from your sheet of paper the picture is still the same size... but your piece of paper is smaller.

There is another more important reason for cropping the blank area, and that is... have you ever wondered why some films you have ripped don't always have the expand/zoom option showing on top right of your iPads screen when playing back a movie ?, where the iPad opens up the picture to fill the iPads screen more.

The answer is simple... when there is excess bars top and bottom the iPad cannot handle them properly, and instead removes the expand icon... I have proven this by ripping with the bars, and also ripping without the bars. If you do a google search on this, you will find evidence that supports this. The black bars do not affect the end picture on the iPad, but they can affect final file size, and also whether you get the playback expand/zoom screen option.

The iPad as you all know is 4x3 ratio, which means for all films except some older ones you are going to have bars top and bottom to some extent, the standard widescreen is 16/9 or 1.78:1 or 1.85:1, which play back well on the iPads screen, and will generally come close to filling the iPads screen if one chooses to use the iPads zoom option albeit with losing part of the picture from the sides.. as mentioned in posts above...nothing comes without cost in this world..lol

When buying DVD films, which I think I may put on the iPad, I try and avoid the films with 2.40:1 or 2.45:1 aspect ratio, which are the widescreen cinema versions, and as you know look very narrow indeed across TV's and even worse of course on Ipads. Unfortunately a lot of the later modern films are released with this aspect ratio, but sometimes they release two aspect ratio versions of the same film. The old classic Ben Hur film for example is avaiable on DVD with it's original 4/3 ratio, but is also available on widescreen format... so always worth checking the aspect ratio if your putting it onto your iPad.
(We know the ripping software can output to specific sizes, but it helps enormously if the source material is nearer the aspect ratio we want to start with)

I would say, this is one area where the wider screens of some of the better Adroid Tablets score over the iPad, shame their quality is not so good. Personally it doesn't bother me too much, maybe in future models a more rectangular shape is on the cards.

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When people complain about bars on the top/bottom, they are in fact complaining about they fact that there is black space above and below the film, thus making the image smaller. They are not talking about whether those bars have been encoded into the movie as black space or not. I have well over 100 movies ripped, to play on both iPad and Android, all done with Handbrake, and not one of them has hardcoded bars above and below and they call can be zoomed up using that button. The issue of black bars has been around for ages.....mainly for people using 4:3 screens...they hate seeing those bars because with them they image is smaller and they can't see it as well. But if you are going to live with a friggin 10-inch screen, why are you complaining about bars? They don't even bother me on an Ipad...I just get a bit closer...but I don't do any serious watching on tiny screens...I have a glorious 67-inch monster downstairs for that very reason. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would say, this is one area where the wider screens of some of the better Adroid Tablets score over the iPad, shame their quality is not so good. Personally it doesn't bother me too much, maybe in future models a more rectangular shape is on the cards.

Yes, that format is better for movie watching, but worse for every friggin other thing you do on a tablet. Same with most monitors these days. The widescreen format is just a bad friggin idea except on a device whose primary purpose is to view cinema, and there it is an excellent idea!

It's a very good thing that I don't have god-like powers...or I'd be fixin stuff left and right around here. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts