What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 3 constantly crashes

garyburnett44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this issue with a brand new ipad3. Took it back to store and they exchanged it for a new one. Out of the box the new has the same issue. It was not caused by any downloaded app because I set the new machine up from scratch without downloading any apps. After much research got a workaround by not adding any email accounts or using icloud. The ipad has been OK since I took these steps. I can access email using hotmail on safari. Not ideal but works. Maybe a future OS upgrade may resolve or any suggestions welcome.;)
Ps did hard/soft resets reinstalled from backups via icloud/itunes -nothing worked
Gary

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So what email accounts are you using? I have several set up on mine (charter, hotmail, gmail, icloud) and iCloud and have zero problems. At this point, I have to beleive the issue is somehow connected to either you or the specific accounts you are using, or perhaps the way in which you are using them. Zillions of folks are using iPad for email, so thinking a future OS upgrade is going to fix things is unrealistic.

I suggest you set up accounts one at a time and ensure the iPad works (no crash) with each before going to the next. This way, you have a chance to pinpoint where the issue is. Report back on your results. Oh, and where in the world are you? Perhaps this makes some difference.

OP
G

garyburnett44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set up initially (on the second ipad) hotmail and icloud. I am living in Scotland. Unsure of difference this may make. Have now reenabled icloud. Will wait and see.

Svenster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the same issue today, trouble was my hotmail account. Deleted it and have not had any issues. My other emails still work. I then added the hotmail account back on my iPad 2, and the previous issues came back. So it's related but not sure why. It also caused my settings to freeze when I tapped the mail settings. Removing the hotmail account also cleared that up. A couple days ago I got an email from hotmail that my account will be converted to a outlook cloud based platform. Wonder if this cloud platform is causing these issues.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I forgot about Microsoft upgrading it's email services. It's probably better to be proactive and update this yourself than wait for the mass conversions to catch up with you. At least if it does not work you'll know why.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very interesting. The plot thickens. I knew MS was doing this...but I will become super pissed if my iPad starts crashing because of it....I agree about being proactive...but it helps to have some notice.

Last edited:
OP
G

garyburnett44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having enabled iCloud there have no problems. I think it may well have been a problem with an hotmail account. This particular account could not be accessed from my windows desktop. When logging in the initial screen appeared, on clicking log in the page just hung leaving a blank page. I have a different hotmail account which does work properly on desk top. I will add this account to the iPad and see if this makes a difference. Microsoft are changing hotmail services and trying to persuade users to change to outlook .com. From users comments there appear to have been problems. Maybe the iPad problems are something to do with Microsoft?
I will update after adding my functioning hotmail account
Gary

OP
G

garyburnett44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far no more crashes although Polkast app did terminate onc eduring use, but now is OK.

Most reactions

Latest posts