1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad 3 Charging on USB 3 Windows 7

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by stuartrozier, Jun 28, 2013.

1. stuartrozier

stuartrozier iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello, I have recently brought a USB 3 PCI Card for my pc, as I was told it would charge my iPad 3 via PC. This is the link to the product ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LV3Z0A/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00? ie=UTF8&psc=1 . The ipad doesn't charge after installing drivers that came supplied. I have tried to see what power is being sent when its plugged in via device manager. But this is all I can see ... Capture.GIF ... I am stuck from here ...many thanks, Stuart P.S. this PCI card DOES have a power source going to it, attached from the PC's power unit.
  2. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0
    I suggest you charge it via the wall with the charger supplied as it is the correct wattage. Charging any tablet from a PC is hit and miss however most Mac's have no issues. I charge my iPads at night as I use them during the day. I also have a charger in the car if I run low.

Colin
    iPad forums Administrator
  3. stuartrozier

stuartrozier iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello, thankyou for your quick reply. This is indeed an option for me, but I sit my ipad and my partners ipad in the docks at our pc to charge and sync, and charging was something we would benefit from, many thanks, Stuart
  4. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +764 / 0
    Hi Stuart - as you likely know, the stock chargers that come w/ an iPad output 10W of power (basically 5V x 2Amps; the chargers for the newer iPads have slightly more amperage). The USB 3.0 power output standards have been changing - the early ones offered less than 10W but newer standards provide more power; now, I looked @ the specs of the PCI card you purchased on Amazon and could not find the power output from those USB 3.0 ports - if the amount is less that 10W, then you will have a prolonged charging time - just a consideration.

You might want to tell us about '...ipad in the docks...' - how are you 'docking' your iPads? Might help to better understand your needs? Dave :)
  5. The OB

The OB Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +818 / 1
    Charging off your PC will take what will seem to be forever. Because the wattage is simply not enough and all you'll get is that very slow trickle charge. As indicated above, the charger supplied with your iPad seems the obvious solution.
    Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk