What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 Cases ???

Abbas82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend the Belkin Snap shield, that's what I'm using. It's very thin, soft touch acrylic snap case. It adds a lot of grip and is smart-cover compatible. Here's some pic's:

I do like Belkin, I usually get their cases for my iPod, but this looks alot like the CIMO smart cover compatible case...but 3x the price

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Similar but the belkin is a hard plastic and the cimo is TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) TPU isn't soft like gel but it is hard where it doesn't lose its shape; but not as hard as plastic. So sort of in-between. If you don't like gel cases but don't want a hard plastic shell, TPU is it.

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Abbas82 said:
It seems like alot of these cases have issues, I want something lightweight, does protect front and back, and does have a typing and viewing position....does anyone have any recommendations? I'm starting to get tempted to get a back and a smart cover, as expensive as that seems...

When you refer to front protection, do you mean the screen is protected by a clear shield, or that it has a cover to close over it when not in use? If its the latter, you should look into the Targus Vuscape referenced in a few posts back.

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPhoNettie said:
I just bought the OBD for iPad 3 and it's the best of all their previous iPad defender cases, it's actually a little slimmer. Feels a lot nicer too. I like that the rubber grip layer stays on nice and tight, the entire case fits perfectly. Yes it's pricey at $100 a pop, but it protects the iPad extremely well.

Glad to see positive reviews on this case. Some really good reviews on different sites as well. Looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on this case. As a personal trainer, I need something heavy duty for in-gym and outdoor use during fitness bootcamps sessions.

iPhoNettie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
6mildollarman said:
Glad to see positive reviews on this case. Some really good reviews on different sites as well. Looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on this case. As a personal trainer, I need something heavy duty for in-gym and outdoor use during fitness bootcamps sessions.

And as I mentioned to someone else on this thread the sleep/wake function of the snap on piece DOES work. In portrait mode, snap it on with the "Otterbox" at the top (looks upside down). Works every time.

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone with experience on the new Otterbox Defender for the iPad 3? Seems they've really improved on the design, but still pretty pricey.

Yes I purchased one the day before the new iPad arrived which was on launch day. I had the defender case for the original iPad and had been very happy with it so was looking specifically for the new iPad defender case. One improvement from iPad 1 design is the new iPad case has an integral screen protector. All covered ports and switches work 100% okay. The front and rear camera ports are open but still protected with overall case design. The front cover which acts to protect the screen in transit but also doubles as a stand and can be used in 3 orientations:- landscape viewing (e.g. for movies), landscape typing and also portrait mode. They have slimmed the overall design down from original iPad defender case. I found fitting no issues (separation of core case is not immediately obvoous but once the outer casing is removed it separates easily. Easy fitting after that and is a perfect fit. To date I have been more than happy with this case for the new iPad - for perfect protection and useful 'use anywhere' viewing stand its perfect.

Squider Dragon

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
6mildollarman said:
When you refer to front protection, do you mean the screen is protected by a clear shield, or that it has a cover to close over it when not in use? If its the latter, you should look into the Targus Vuscape referenced in a few posts back.

Sorry, after double checking, the case in the pic in that post a few days back is the Targus Versavu 360, not the Vuscape. The 360 adds a few centimeters in thickness to accommodate the swivel function. I personally have the Vuscape, which is perfect for when I want a really slim case that offers some protection yet not so obtrusive that it conceals the iPad's aesthetics. It doesn't offer a portrait mode though, but has 3 viewing angles in horizontal mode. The 360 does portrait mode. The Vuscape is a pretty good deal at $39.95. The Versavu 360 goes for $59.95 (Best Buy prices).

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SquiderDragon said:
Yes I purchased one the day before the new iPad arrived which was on launch day. I had the defender case for the original iPad and had been very happy with it so was looking specifically for the new iPad defender case. One improvement from iPad 1 design is the new iPad case has an integral screen protector. All covered ports and switches work 100% okay. The front and rear camera ports are open but still protected with overall case design. The front cover which acts to protect the screen in transit but also doubles as a stand and can be used in 3 orientations:- landscape viewing (e.g. for movies), landscape typing and also portrait mode. They have slimmed the overall design down from original iPad defender case. I found fitting no issues (separation of core case is not immediately obvoous but once the outer casing is removed it separates easily. Easy fitting after that and is a perfect fit. To date I have been more than happy with this case for the new iPad - for perfect protection and useful 'use anywhere' viewing stand its perfect.

Squider Dragon

Thanks for the info. I was at Best Buy today and looked at the Defender. It felt really solid and sturdy and seems to fit the bill for what I need. Then I saw the Griffin Survivor case for $20 less. It was a sealed package so I wasn't able to examine it thoroughly. It looked just as sturdy as the Defender and has multiple layer for protection. The design looked very "military", as in heavy duty (it actually reminded me of Master Chief's armor in Halo, LOL). It felt heavier and seemed like it would be chore to remove if I wanted to switch cases.

I'm still leaning toward the Defender because of the positive reviews and the tad bit slimmer feel. But anyone with feedback on the Survivor?

iPhoNettie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
6mildollarman said:
Thanks for the info. I was at Best Buy today and looked at the Defender. It felt really solid and sturdy and seems to fit the bill for what I need. Then I saw the Griffin Survivor case for $20 less. It was a sealed package so I wasn't able to examine it thoroughly. It looked just as sturdy as the Defender and has multiple layer for protection. The design looked very "military", as in heavy duty (it actually reminded me of Master Chief's armor in Halo, LOL). It felt heavier and seemed like it would be chore to remove if I wanted to switch cases.

I'm still leaning toward the Defender because of the positive reviews and the tad bit slimmer feel. But anyone with feedback on the Survivor?

I had the Griffin Survivor for my iPad 2 and it was a PITA removing the case once it was on, and it is a lot bulkier than the current Defender case. Plus the Defender has the snap on case with the sleep/wake function, plus that is easier to use too. The Survivor case will undoubtedly protect the iPad very well, but I'm sticking with the Defender.

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My OBD's magnetic feature actually does work. I found the it has to be put on a certain way. It works when the snap on case is snapped on with the "Otterbox" on top end -in portrait mode, (looks upside down), where the front facing camera is. If you snap it on with the "Otterbox" on the bottom end - where the home button is, it doesn't shut it off. I tested it several times and it always shut the screen off when the "Otterbox" was on the top end of the screen.

Actually found for me with new Ipad OBD case it works the opposite way - i.e. as expected so with the iPad in portrait mode and with the home button at bottom / facetime camera at top - the sleep / wake functions when the OBD front shield is applied with the OtterBox logo at the bottom and thus reading the right way up. I guess it may be down to a 50:50 of which may the magnets are placed - but either one of the two orientations work - just have to test which one for your particular case and remember it :). But yes it is 100% working to sleep / wake when applied.

Abbas82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ended up buying the Targus Versavu and am very happy with it! It is light, compact and the magnet is now a non-issue. I may purchase an Otterbox in the future if I intend to use it outdoors. But for indoor use, I don't need that kind of bulk....the Versavu is just right with a great price (although after spending $800+ on an iPad with Apple Care, the cost wasn't the motivating factor)!

Grove86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got two cases, Dodocase and Switcheasy Canvas. I like them both for different reasons, Dodocase for its aesthetic and Switcheasy for its function. Let me go through in detail for both :)

Dodocase:
Pros - It is wellmade and has a look of a real book when it's closed; it looks real professional and clean. The rubber tabs seems to hold the ipad in place securely. On/off function works really well.
Cons - Durability could be an issue as the case is made out of cardboard(i believe) and bamboo woods glued together. so if you drop it or use it for a long time, the edges of the binding will get dings like your textbooks. I guess this really depends on how well you take care of it. Also the cutouts for the headphones/charger connector/volume could be little bigger, it is a bit hard for me to reach those buttons. The case has no function as a stand in any way. You will only get a typing angle out of it if you have the flap completely behind the case, causing the binding to raise the angle by 10 degrees or so. But if you want to watch videos/hulus on it by having it proped up, this isn't really a good case. I guess one modification dodocase can do would be to line the edges in contact with the floor to have a rubbery texture to better hold it's position. As of now, it'll just slip and end up lying flat on your desk. It'll protect your ipad well for daily use, but I don't know about accidental drops though.

Switcheasy Canvas:
Pros - Seems more durable than dodocase, has this slight padded feeling to it (for both front and back) Cutouts for buttons/connectors are definitely better. They even included earphone/charger connector protectors so that dusts don't get inside (i've had phones in the past where dusts would end up getting under the screens through these connectors) It can function as stand, although only horizontally. It is SLIGHTLY thinner than Dodocase (almost not noticable) But overall smaller dimension than Dodocase (about half an inch smaller in height and quarter of an inch in width)
Cons - Magnet that keeps the front flap closed could be stronger. It doesn't give me any trouble of it opening by itself but the strength of the magnet seem really weak. The on/off function can be finicky. The edges of the front flap needs to line up perfectly in order for on/off function to work properly. Read some reviews saying that some cases are having this issue. But if you contact switcheasy, they'll exchange it and most people have no problem afterwards.

All in all, if I could only choose one case, I'd probably go with Switcheasy for it's function and better protection. Plus, Switcheasy looks pretty damn fancy too. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Most reactions