What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 and new(ish) games that slightly lagg

Ry2mkk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Morning guys...

Just a quick post to see if anyone has noticed tht the iPad 3 is slightly laggy with a lot of games :(
The games I have noticed such lagg are:

Order and chaos ( my phone runs this smoother )
Real racing 2 ( known issues at the start menu and photo taking....firemint have said they looking into it on twitter )
Six guns

This might see trivial to some but I expected to see a better gaming performance than that of iPad 2 ...as gaming was one of the core reasons I wanted an iPad 3.

Could anyone shed some light on my tunnel please I don't want to get used to this lag as older devices don't lag on these games ...why should the new hardware feel more like old hardware ! Is it simply an issue of game devs messing up an optimisation ? Does the iPad 2 have 2 graphical cores ? Maybe games are thinking its an iPad 1running ( on non optimised iPad 3 games ) .....

Its really annoying me as everything else on this high tec bit of kit is just awesome , and with apple saying its new Gpu is 4x faster.....kind of concerns me and hopes its simply some software issue.

The maybe it's just not a great gaming device ? It has to push out retina display graphics so maybe the trade off in comparison to the iPad 2 with games is this..... If this is the case I'd rather trade screen res for playable games lol.

Rant over x but if anyone could assure me to keep my new baby as things hopefully will get death with ? Or should I simply grab myself an iPad 2 lol

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I have not played any games yet...and I'm not much of a gamer though I have several games, including real racing 2 and the new Air supremecy. In your post you said "slightly lagging" and then you go on to imply that the iPad 3 game is not playable. So, I'm a bit confused by what you noticed. A slight lag doesn't have to mean the game is unplayable. Also, it is reasonable to believe that further optimizations could come once developers get more time and experience working with the new hardware. I cannot say for sure...you might want to write to some of them to ask. Personally, I think the higher res is important for the game to look real, but you may get a kick out of having way higher frame rates than are required to actually play the game. To each his/her own. Also, I don't think the touch screen is an optimal way to play a game, so that is one reason why it is not so important to me....what is important to me is what i see every single time I view a webpage on an ipad. Ease of reading is vastly more important....to me. YMMV. I think I will go check out some games now, however.

OP
R

Ry2mkk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello , thanks for the reply :) ....I didn't mean to imply they are not playable, but what I meant was surely with the newer hardware over the IPad 2 we should at least be having similar fps if not an increase . I fully agree with you in terms on screen clarity and web surfing is an awesome experience , I just want on par fps with what I've seen of the iPad 2 .... At the moment I feel apple have made a dumb mistake by saying 4x the graphics power ..yet it's not utilised in such a way we see any performance increase ( apart from the retina display) should that be taken on the chin tho ? Should I not expect games to run as well as iPad 2 partly due to the screen being retina and the iPad 2's isn't ....like you said in reference to the devs optimising it ...I can only hope they do.

My manager will rub this in my face in monday lol , yeah I have the better screen but his performs better with games.

Maybe I'm just being picky :'( .

I appreciate your reply though dude , thank you

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that it is important that games be playable at the resolution that the game is using (not faster)...and IMO, that is the developers job to ensure, not Apple's. They (developers) should either use different graphical elements in the game to ensure a playable experience or use the lower resolution. In fact, game developers aren't required to use all the pixels on the higher resolution screen, and what features they use is something they have control over. So they have to learn how to ensure the user has a satisfying experience while playing their game. And at the same resolution, your boss will have nothing to say over your iPad 3, but the iPad 3 has possibilties for games that they iPad 2 is guaranteed never to reach!!

I don't think you're being picky at all, I think it is more a question of what expectations to have and who to expect to deliver performance. And remember, the iPad is not being sold as a gaming device per se...it's a multi-function device...and any developer who wants to host a game on it has the responsiblity to ensure a good user experience...otherwise, why did they release it and take our money? Apple didn't do that! :)

I think developers need time to learn what's what on the new hardware.

I said I was going to play some games, but I have been delayed...I'll get back to you...

Oh...let us not forget that NOTHING else is playing games at this resolution!

Last edited:

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep. give the game developer some time to optimize their games for the new Hardware.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep. give the game developer some time to optimize their games for the new Hardware.

According to Istapaper developer, Apple didn't release the developer kit before Tim Cook's presentation for whatever reason. Based on the lack of major upgrades movement in Apple App Store, I would imagine developers who plan to take advantage of the 2X features are still working on it.

Instapaper itself had a 2X upgrade but I couldn't really tell if the result was caused by the upgrade or simply the brilliant performance of the new iPad itself.

OP
R

Ry2mkk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can only hope devs see playable fps (30+) better than iPads crazy new resolution , regarding your comment on ipad 3's ability to outreach the ipad2 ...well time will tell ...devs can do some amazing things with iOS these days.

I look forward to the day my boss wants a shiny new iPad 3 but for the time being I'm still dead chuffed with mine (par from a few games) and the battery life....bloody heck I've played on it all day today and it's still up and kicking I have even managed to turn my mrs's head with a few nifty features lol.

pyoule

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes Order & Chaos Lags

I am a long time player or O&C since using ipad3 I have major Lag issues, so BAD that I have had to go back to using my ipad2 to play the Game :-( such a shame as the graphics are Awsome on ipad3

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try reaching out to Firemint through Twitter or their forums as they will be able to provide a better answer than the majority of people on here.

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Give it time. The screen upgrade is such a big one that developers likely need more time to update their apps and optimize them for the iPad 3. Surely, a few months from now we'll see some awesome games that run very well on this new iPad. I have high hopes for infinity blade dungeons!

Most reactions