1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ipad 3 and 4G signal

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Smooth65, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Smooth65

Smooth65 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi. I've owned my iPad 3 for several months now. Does it have the capability of picking up a 3G signal? No matter where I go, I see either 4G or edge signal on my iPad. I live in the country where there is no 4G but it says 4G. Could this be a defect? Thanks in advance!
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 1
    You must have an AT&T iPad.

AT&T rebranded its HSPA+ service as 4G. Other providers started calling HSPA+ a 4G service long before AT&T changed it's marketing. I guess they got tired of sound slower than they were. HSPA+ really is (potentially) faster than older 3G networks (CDMA and HSPA), but nowhere near as fast as the newer 4G/LTE services.

When you have the newer faster 4G/LTE connection the iPad will say LTE instead of 4G.
  3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Twerppoet is right. I have an AT&T iPhone 4S, which is a 3G phone, and it started saying 4G months ago, even though the phone isn't really 4G capable, lol. It was because AT&T got Apple to agree to relabeling what's HSPA+ as 4G.