1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

ipad 3,4,5,etc etc

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by sjleworthy, Mar 30, 2011.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    just a bit curious.

what direction is there the future of the ipad will probably go in? i ask because it took several releases of the ipod Touch until the 'wow factor' of new hardware finally kicked in and stopped.
    The ipad is more or less a big Touch on speed. but, we're at version 2 and already the elements are all attached. ie, cameras, dual chip, etc etc

so other than the obvious retina display, what future options are left out there for the ipad to evolve into over the years? ok, the chip will get faster, the screen might get finer, the ram will increase, cameras get better, more flash memory and othere bits and bobs. this is expected and much wanted, but it's not, in my opinion, ground breaking wow stuff like the jumps in the Touch were.

Apple claim this is the beginning, but im really interested to hear what possible future exciting things we might or can expect on future ipad releases.

what do you think? will be just see 'updates' or something more 'exciting' ?
  2. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    -Easier photo synchronization and organization
    -Wireless sync
    -No need to activate via iTunes, MobileMe will become the backbone of all iOS devices
    -Improved Airplay and updated AirPort Express which supports Dolby Digital 5.1
    -Filemanager for iOS devices, or a Mac OS version on touch tablets.

There are probably a lot more things to improve upon
  3. sjleworthy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    thinking about it a HUGE thing for me in the software would be the ability, as you say, to either wirelessly sync AND /or the ability to upgrade firmware and whatever without itunes.

i cant stand itunes, and would love to stay mobile with my ipad without the need, and it is a need, to go back to itunes it every now and then. i cant understand now why we cant upgrade firmware directly to our devices.
  4. D_LA_ROC

D_LA_ROC iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I bet there will be some kind of 3D tech in the next couple of iPads. Just like the 3DS and you will be able to turn it on and off. I just don't see how they can make it any thinner! Imagine it being nearly as thin as paper and being able to hold it straight horizontal with your thumb and one finger!
  5. DontUnderstandMyIpad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Imagine a foldable/rollable see-through iPad
  6. Gunny008

Gunny008 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    In terms of software yeah, iOS 5 should solve most of these

I wonder if apple will eventually turn iPad into a mac tablet with multi-touch.

They will probably keep them separate though.
  7. sjleworthy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    anyone got any idea on this concept? this is probably the biggest 'want' for me personally :)

besides, my old pc at home is crappy and about 10-15 years old and just on the way out. i dont want another one (cant really afford one) yet, if i want an idevice i must have a computer with itunes on it. not very portable in my opinion.
  8. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The iPad will be that, an apartment filled with Apple wood furniture and integrated electronics built by Apple. The whole surface of the walls will be a giant display that you'll be able to control by your thoughts.

That will be the coolest iPad!:D
  9. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438 / 0
    First a statement by Dell today by "Apple insider" from Dell

"Dell is hedging its bets when it comes to tablet operating systems. “…Our strategy is multi-OS," Lark said. "We will do Windows 7 coupled with Android Honeycomb, and we’re really excited. We think that giving people that choice is very important.”

The current ios will continue to grow making it faster better and using cloud services to sync and back on an Ipad however I would not be surprised at all if Apple releases a larger touch tablet like the Macbook Air with both iOS installed plus OSX and the ability to operate Windows OS The latter making it the ultimate tablet for corporations and business alike.

Any thing Dell can do Apple will do better

More and more uses will not purchase low end PC's instead buy Ipad type devices and for more advance uses the ultimate tablet will be there first choice ..

There will always be a need for a computer for so called Power users and techies, just so in case yu think I missed it

Just a thought..........open for discussion
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  10. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438 / 0
    To answer your question this is almost ready to Rock and Roll

Apple's new data-center located on 225 acres of land in Maiden, North Carolina. The enormous building is said to cover 500,000 square feet of floor space, over four times the area available in the company's server farm in Newark, California. The project is said to have cost over $1 billion.

The sheer size of Apple's data center has ignited speculation that the company is planning a large expansion of its cloud computing endeavors. Apple's recent acquisition of Lala is believed to involve a web-based version of iTunes, potentially allowing users to manage content directly from an Internet browser rather than relying on the current software
  11. Nick Burns

Nick Burns iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How about complete home automation from Savant?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT406gvW2-Q"]Savant[/ame]

You know, except for the thought control. :p
  12. Twism86

Twism86 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just an off topic comment about cloud computing: NO! I dont see this as a good direction at all. I want all of MY data and info on MY computer or personal server.
  13. sjleworthy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0

lets hope the answer to this, and to do away with the necessity of having to have a computer to upgrade the firmware will happen with iOS 5.
  14. DontUnderstandMyIpad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Hopefully someone figures out how to design .11n wifi antenna's, which are capable of 300Mbps. The current versions are completely crippled and can't get over 65Mbps, basically offering the same speed as .11g. The down speed on my iPad is less than 1/2 of what it is on my laptop, with both being connected to the same wifi. Ideally the Internet connection would be the bottleneck and not the wifi connection.

Without faster wifi, cloud syncing and HD streaming are still a long way to go.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  15. netkrazed

netkrazed iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i want a vpn capability so I can do some work from home and flash player would be nice.
  16. DontUnderstandMyIpad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Have you tried using the inbuilt VPN option? It can be found under Settings->General->Network->VPN
  17. netkrazed

netkrazed iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow.. didn't even know it had one. THANK YOU!!!
  18. normanj

normanj iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Full versions of equivalents of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
    Lower price - I think the 100 dollar boundary could be broken before the end of the decade.