What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2's Water Resistance, Any Whatsoever?

JerryBrendle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'Just wondering if the iPad 2 offers any degree of water resistance? Occasionally I may need to use the unit outside in a light drizzle and I was wondering if this is enough H2O to give it a problem.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Put it in a Ziplock bag or buy a water-resistant case. There are several such iPad cases on Amazon, for instance.

In a Japanese yen store, I found a transparent book jacket that's the exact size of an iPad. You might check for something similar. It cost me about a buck or two USD.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The water resistance of the 'naked' iPad is close to zero. In fact, there have been several reports on the Forum from Members who have let moisture ingress into the dock connector and where the contacts there have started to corrode. Moral of the story - iPads and moisture (let alone water) do not mix.

I still remember the days when it was 'de rigueur' to keep computers in air conditioned rooms....

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup. In Asia, some people with iiOS devices were having problems caused by humidity alone!

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm reading this thread while sitting in a bathroom full of steam from the shower. Guess it wasn't the smartest idea to bring it in

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

HTMLEgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
htmlegg.aidaluu.com
I don't think it has much resistance. My iPhone on the other hand has been doing well, it's really hot these couple of weeks and I've had to wipe what looks like condensation off the screen a couple times. It doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

I would try to be careful though, not worth risking it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely not - but don't despair - let it 'dry out' as soon as possible.

One idea I've seen mentioned by Members who have had their iPads suffer 'total immersion' is to place it in a bag of (dried) rice. It's super-absorbent and quickly dries the iPad out.

Tim

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mine in the shower and occasionally go swimming with it. No negative issues at all.

Only issue is that the screen gets kind of blurry from all of the water that leaks between the LCD screen and the Capacitive glass.... sometimes it takes DAYS for it to dry out and start working normal on dry land. Last time I had to get it replaced.

Other than that..... yes

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SporkLover said:
I use mine in the shower and occasionally go swimming with it. No negative issues at all.

Only issue is that the screen gets kind of blurry from all of the water that leaks between the LCD screen and the Capacitive glass.... sometimes it takes DAYS for it to dry out and start working normal on dry land. Last time I had to get it replaced.

Other than that..... yes

Lol say what?

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

mach5k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use mine to coach soccer. Picked up a waterproof case at dndistribution.com the cheaper one its a decent solution. But there are a bunch of zip lock bag type of solutions out there. Overboard in UK has one with a handle that is nice. Seal Line is good too.

Most reactions