What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2's Smart Cover burn-like stain on the magnet

pudongski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just noticed that when I pull out the Smart Cover from the ipad 2, there is like a burn stain on my ipad's left side when smart cover is connected. To my surprise, it actually came from the more stain of the magnet of the smart cover???? How is that possible??? My theory is that it might be when i charge my ipad 2 and the outlet where our electricity is flowing is kind of like having problems. Because sometimes when I am about to charge my ipad 2, there is a spark-like on the outlet.... Do you think it could be the reason why did i notice the brown burn like stain on both the side of my ipad 2 and the magnet of the smart cover???? please help me

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If there is a spark coming in from the outlet, change the outlet and or have an electrician look at it. Simple bit of advice....don't plug anything into an outlet that sparks every time you plug something in. As far as the burn stain on the iPad/smart cover anything is possible.

OP
P

pudongski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there is a spark coming in from the outlet, change the outlet and or have an electrician look at it. Simple bit of advice....don't plug anything into an outlet that sparks every time you plug something in. As far as the burn stain on the iPad/smart cover anything is possible.

Thank you my friend. But what else could possibly be the reason why did it have that stain??? It's colored brown, it's kinda disturbing to look at on our new ipad 2, and when you see the smart cover, kind of frustrating that it could stain the ipad like that... :(

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No your absolutely right, I would be upset to. Try using some rubbing alcohol and rub lightly. Remember that metal is a conductor and either the ground to the outlet is bad, the wire for the ground is not connected and thats what's causing the burn. Have an electrician look at it or do it yourself. It's actually really easy.

whodaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pudongski said:
I just noticed that when I pull out the Smart Cover from the ipad 2, there is like a burn stain on my ipad's left side when smart cover is connected. To my surprise, it actually came from the more stain of the magnet of the smart cover???? How is that possible??? My theory is that it might be when i charge my ipad 2 and the outlet where our electricity is flowing is kind of like having problems. Because sometimes when I am about to charge my ipad 2, there is a spark-like on the outlet.... Do you think it could be the reason why did i notice the brown burn like stain on both the side of my ipad 2 and the magnet of the smart cover???? please help me

I had the same problem. I noticed my cover had a small crack in the plastic on the iPad side of the hinge that attached to the iPad. This is where the stain was coming from. It was a carbon-like stain that did come off after working it awhile with rubbing alcohol. The mark appeared after owning it for a couple of weeks. I took the cover back to Best Buy and got a new one and have had this one for a couple of weeks. Well, this one is also giving the same carbon-like burn mark with no cracks in the plastic. Is this some sort of defect that Apple needs to address? Is anyone else experiencing this?

OP
P

pudongski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
had the same problem. I noticed my cover had a small crack in the plastic on the iPad side of the hinge that attached to the iPad. This is where the stain was coming from. It was a carbon-like stain that did come off after working it awhile with rubbing alcohol. The mark appeared after owning it for a couple of weeks. I took the cover back to Best Buy and got a new one and have had this one for a couple of weeks. Well, this one is also giving the same carbon-like burn mark with no cracks in the plastic. Is this some sort of defect that Apple needs to address? Is anyone else experiencing this?

So if this also happens to you, this might be a defect that surely needs to be addressed. No we're two who have experienced it. However on the 2nd time situation, did it also wear off after rubbing alcohol? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

whodaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pudongski said:
I had the same problem. I noticed my cover had a small crack in the plastic on the iPad side of the hinge that attached to the iPad. This is where the stain was coming from. It was a carbon-like stain that did come off after working it awhile with rubbing alcohol. The mark appeared after owning it for a couple of weeks. I took the cover back to Best Buy and got a new one and have had this one for a couple of weeks. Well, this one is also giving the same carbon-like burn mark with no cracks in the plastic. Is this some sort of defect that Apple needs to address? Is anyone else experiencing this?

if this also happens to you, this might be a defect that surely needs to be addressed. No we're two who have experienced it. However on the 2nd time situation, did it also wear off after rubbing alcohol? Thank you.

To tell the truth, I didn't noticed the second one did it until I checked today after reading your post. I'm gonna try cleaning it this evening. I'll let you know once I try it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:

whodaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rubbing alcohol worked to clean the side of the iPad but not the smart cover.

OP
P

pudongski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rubbing alcohol worked to clean the side of the iPad but not the smart cover.

It was not removed by rubbing alcohol :( i guess it will stay there on my smart cover and the stain on my ipad :(

HerbalTBag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to be a jerk but I'm happy that didn't buy a smart cover after hearing about these issues

whodaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I didn't read your entire thread so if this was stated already sorry ~ but what color is your smart cover?

Both of my smart covers have been gray. I'll send a pic shortly.

whodaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The pic I included shows the already alcohol scrubbed magnet side of the hinge. There was quite a bit more of a carbon-like substance before cleaning. Only one small spot remains after cleaning.

Attachments

• image-3344748296.png
    image-3344748296.png
    532.6 KB · Views: 715

Most reactions