What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 wont connect to the internet

Reg Steyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my i-pad 2 wont connect to the internet or e-mail via 3g. are there any settings that i can change or any other advice to help resolve this issue.

your help will be much appreciated

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my i-pad 2 wont connect to the internet or e-mail via 3g. are there any settings that i can change or any other advice to help resolve this issue.

OK - a few questions.

(a) Does your iPad connect to the Internet via WiFi?
(b) Is this a new problem that it won't connect via 3G or has it worked OK previously?
(c) Does your iPad show that it's receiving a 3G signal - i.e do you see the signal strength bars on the top left-hand side of the screen and does it say either '3G', 'EDGE' or 'O'?

Let us know and we'll see what we can do to help.

Tim

OP
R

Reg Steyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score

OK - a few questions.

(b) Is this a new problem that it won't connect via 3G or has it worked OK previously?
(c) Does your iPad show that it's receiving a 3G signal - i.e do you see the signal strength bars on the top left-hand side of the screen and does it say either '3G', 'EDGE' or 'O'?

Tim

Hi Tim,

its a brand new i-pad i havnt used it before with 3g. it does connect to wi-fi and it shows the 3g with signal bars but when i open mail or internet it says no data connection found

regards

Reg

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

OK - a few questions.

Tim

Hi Tim,

its a brand new i-pad i havnt used it before with 3g. it does connect to wi-fi and it shows the 3g with signal bars but when i open mail or internet it says no data connection found

regards

Reg

OK - I'm guessing that, if you see the signal bars, you have a SIM card installed and have registered that SIM card with a service provider - i.e. it's either a pay-as-you-go SIM card or you pay a monthly recurring charge. Can I be absolutely clear - when you say that it connects to WiFi do you also mean that you can connect to the Internet with WiFi - i.e. that you can receive or send email and surf the Internet using the Safari browser.

I'm trying to distinguish whether the problem is that the iPad won't connect to the Internet on either WiFi or 3G - in which case it is probably not a 3G problem - or whether it connects OK to the Internet using WiFi but doesn't connect using 3G.

I'm guessing it's the latter, because you'd probably have simply told us you couldn't connect to the Internet at all - rather than highlighting the 3G issue.

The very slight puzzle I have is that, if the iPad is connected to both WiFi and 3G it always - always - uses WiFi in preference to 3G. So to ensure that it's connected only by 3G it might be wise to turn off WiFi in the 'Settings' menu.

I'm saying this because the iPad will try to 'hang on in' with a WiFi signal however bad it is - even when there's a good 3G signal available. So, if you haven't already, try again but with the WiFi actually turned off in the 'Settings' menu.

Now, I'm guessing that's probably not going to make any difference (but I'm mentioning these issues just in case!). So, next question is how long ago did you register your SIM card with the service provider? It sometimes takes a couple of hours for the account registration to work its way through the service provider's system and to result in them actually enabling your account. You'd still see the signal bars but, if your account is not yet enabled, you'd be unable to connect to the Internet.

OK - enough for one message....have a look through this post and try a few things out and get back to us....

Tim

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Reg Steyn said:
Hi Tim,

regards

Reg

I presume you mean that it connects fine via wifi, but with 3G it shows the 3G signal but does not connect?

if so, is the sim payg? if so you will need to purchase credit, if contract, you may need to contact the provider to enable it

sorry, only things I can think of, as I don't have the 3G model

OP
R

Reg Steyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks so much for the info i really appreciate it. i did do a sim swop and presumed that it would be active as it showed the signal bars but thanks for clearing that up for me. I will just confirm with my service provider that it is active as well

regards

Reg

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also make sure that your firmware is up to date. I don't see your location but there were 3G connection issues with Verizon 3G models and the issue was fixed with one of the updates (I believe it was 4.3.2).

OP
R

Reg Steyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the help guys. I managed to sort out the problem it was the APN settings its working fine now

thanks again

regards

Reg

Most reactions

Latest posts