What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 will not connect to wifi

gcclubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am at my second home and my new ipad 2 will not connect to wifi - previous ipad connected no problems - have changed nothing on settings etc. if finds the network no problem and the first day it was connecting and then dropping the connection within 30 second. now i just get the unable to join this network message any thoughts why the ipad 2 woud be having this issue while the ipad one never did

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gcclubs said:
I am at my second home and my new ipad 2 will not connect to wifi - previous ipad connected no problems - have changed nothing on settings etc. if finds the network no problem and the first day it was connecting and then dropping the connection within 30 second. now i just get the unable to join this network message any thoughts why the ipad 2 woud be having this issue while the ipad one never did

I would reboot your router and your iPad. It's been known to work and better to start with the simpler things now.....may also be worth going into settings and forgetting your router from the wifi section at the same time.

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

One of our moderators suggested this might help...

"This has resolved many issues and worth a try.
- Sometimes after you perform a upgrade from say iOS 3. to iOS 4.2 *the iPad or iPhone wifi or 3G speeds *may be slow.*
- This is an easy fix which does work. Please do the following:
1. Go to Settings->General->Reset
2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.
5. Enjoy the "back to normal" WiFi and 3G speeds like you had prior to the OS upgrade.*

Col

col.bris, Brisbane Australia

Forum Rules. Please Read.
---------------------------------

If there's still a problem, please get back to us and we'll try to suggest some other solutions

Tim

OP
G

gcclubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tried the suggested

approaches and now I am getting a pop up box on ipad saying enter the password for my network but I don't have one set up - never had this message before and so the password I have to unlock the ipad doesn't work so I have no idea what to do now

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - this may sound a silly question, so please don't be offended but other Members have found this - are there any other WiFi networks in the vicinity? The iPad WiFi antenna is quite sensitive and we've had reports of Members' iPads trying to connect to a neighbour's WiFi network. You should be able to see the SSID of the network in the 'Settings' app on the iPad, which will enable you to confirm that it's your network that it's trying to connect to.

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
OK - this may sound a silly question, so please don't be offended but other Members have found this - are there any other WiFi networks in the vicinity? The iPad WiFi antenna is quite sensitive and we've had reports of Members' iPads trying to connect to a neighbour's WiFi network. You should be able to see the SSID of the network in the 'Settings' app on the iPad, which will enable you to confirm that it's your network that it's trying to connect to.

Tim

My iPad regularly tries going onto my BT Fon network which can be irritating but It is usually when I've gone out and then log in that this happens

OP
G

gcclubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

Its my network as I see the name and my laptop is connecting to the wireless just fine. Now this moring it is back to just saying cannot join and has stopped asking for a password.

any other suggestions as I have tested the wifi and its download and upload speeds are good and network magic makes it clear everything it okay. Its the Ipad 2 that is the issue

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gcclubs said:
Its my network as I see the name and my laptop is connecting to the wireless just fine. Now this moring it is back to just saying cannot join and has stopped asking for a password.

any other suggestions as I have tested the wifi and its download and upload speeds are good and network magic makes it clear everything it okay. Its the Ipad 2 that is the issue

I'd take it back for a check up if I were you. If you have indeed tried all avenues, maybe it is your iPad.

OP
G

gcclubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Return Ipad

gcclubs said:

I'd take it back for a check up if I were you. If you have indeed tried all avenues, maybe it is your iPad.

I will do that but I am in the US and live in Canada. Ipad connects to to or three different networks at home no problems what so ever so I am pretty sure its not the ipad itself but maybe some settings or something. I guess I will know when I go to the airport tomorrow and see if it connects there.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gcclubs said:
I will do that but I am in the US and live in Canada. Ipad connects to to or three different networks at home no problems what so ever so I am pretty sure its not the ipad itself but maybe some settings or something. I guess I will know when I go to the airport tomorrow and see if it connects there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, I'm sure one of us will be able to help you.

Reaction score
Does the router have DHCP enabled, meaning it distributes IP addresses automatically to any device connecting to the network? If you have never setup an IP address for your iPad 1, or laptop, it is safe to assume that it is enabled.

Secondly, is there any chance that the router has a MAC filter enabled? It is essentially a whitelist allowing only devices with registered MAC addresses to connect.

OP
G

gcclubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solved

Does the router have DHCP enabled, meaning it distributes IP addresses automatically to any device connecting to the network? If you have never setup an IP address for your iPad 1, or laptop, it is safe to assume that it is enabled.

Secondly, is there any chance that the router has a MAC filter enabled? It is essentially a whitelist allowing only devices with registered MAC addresses to connect.

I used network magic to rename router after resetting router and for whatever reason that did the trick and now iPad accesses perfectly. Thx for the suggestions

prehfeldt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Resetting Network Settings

Thanks Colonel,

Resetting the network setting did the trick and I did not have to power the device off and back on for this to work.

Cheers

Paul

One of our moderators suggested this might help...

"This has resolved many issues and worth a try.
- Sometimes after you perform a upgrade from say iOS 3. to iOS 4.2 *the iPad or iPhone wifi or 3G speeds *may be slow.*
- This is an easy fix which does work. Please do the following:
1. Go to Settings->General->Reset
2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.
5. Enjoy the "back to normal" WiFi and 3G speeds like you had prior to the OS upgrade.*

Col

col.bris, Brisbane Australia

Forum Rules. Please Read.
---------------------------------

If there's still a problem, please get back to us and we'll try to suggest some other solutions

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts