What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 wifi problem

alex.cavers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I seem to be able to browse, download etc ok most of the time, but every now and again my iPad 2 informs me that it's not connected to the Internet, even though the little icon is right there in the top left corner. Turning wifi off then on again within "Settings" seems to sort this out, which isn't a huge hassle but sometimes this can happen every 5 mins for an hour or so. Am I missing something, or may this even be a problem with my wifi connection?
Hope someone can help Cheers Alex

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the same happen to your laptop or no? We need first to exclude Internet connection problem!

OP
A

alex.cavers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't have a laptop, but the house pc is connected via the same connection, and as far as I can tell it only ever happens with that rarely. I had just wondered if anybody else had been having a similar problem. Strangely enough it seems to happen more often after I've just played a game like angry birds.

vcom91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah i have the same problem and fix it the same way you do, temporarily. In another thread i was reading on here someone was claiming that it was the magnet on the smart cover that was causing the problem.

OP
A

alex.cavers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say Apple's CS, do you mean that I should take it back to the shop or what?

Also, I do have one of those smart covers fitted. Might be interesting to see if taking it off makes any difference.

vcom91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say Apple's CS, do you mean that I should take it back to the shop or what?

Also, I do have one of those smart covers fitted. Might be interesting to see if taking it off makes any difference.

It's nit the smart cover, at least not for me. I got the same problem when it was off. I read in a thread on the apple forums that the iPad may have problems staying connected with routers broadcasting more than just an n network so say like b/g/n/. Still looking for a solution though.

taborod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
alex.cavers said:
Hi,
I seem to be able to browse, download etc ok most of the time, but every now and again my iPad 2 informs me that it's not connected to the Internet, even though the little icon is right there in the top left corner. Turning wifi off then on again within "Settings" seems to sort this out, which isn't a huge hassle but sometimes this can happen every 5 mins for an hour or so. Am I missing something, or may this even be a problem with my wifi connection?
Hope someone can help Cheers Alex

I have a new iPad 2 which frequently loses it's wifi connection. In the same area where an iBook has no problems. Is this normal?

taborod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mikekan said:
Does the same happen to your laptop or no? We need first to exclude Internet connection problem!

No, only the iPad 2

WayneF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had that problem a couple times and I don't use the smart cover. I just turn it off then back on and it works fine. It's only happened twice in 5 days.
I have a question: I am getting a Netgear duel band N wireless router tomorrow. Will the iPad 2 work on the 5Ghz band or is it just 2.4?

Thanks
Wayne

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's nit the smart cover, at least not for me. I got the same problem when it was off. I read in a thread on the apple forums that the iPad may have problems staying connected with routers broadcasting more than just an n network so say like b/g/n/. Still looking for a solution though.

My router broadcasts b/g/n and I've never had a problem. It's a Netgear. My mom has a Linksys though, and for some reason my iPad doesn't work right with it. It sporadically won't load websites or email and acts like it's not connected when it is, but I don't get the popup about it not being connected.

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My router broadcasts b/g/n and I've never had a problem. It's a Netgear. My mom has a Linksys though, and for some reason my iPad doesn't work right with it. It sporadically won't load websites or email and acts like it's not connected when it is, but I don't get the popup about it not being connected.

I have a Linksys as well and I too have the same exact issue. Says it's connected and I have a good signal but the load bar gets stuck. Power down and pier up solves it. Sure hope they fix this on the iPad3.

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scott_R1 said:
I have a Linksys as well and I too have the same exact issue. Says it's connected and I have a good signal but the load bar gets stuck. Power down and pier up solves it. Sure hope they fix this on the iPad3.

Hmmm...that stinks for people who have bought iPads only to get them home and find their router doesn't work well with the device. I recall seeing a list somewhere of routers that aren't compatible with the iPad...I'll have to look and see if I can find it!

Sent from my iPad using iPF - 64gig iPad2 White WiFi

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have os lion? You probably just connect but the router cannot assign you with an ip address, you can try add a static ip manually, for example 192.168.1.10

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a linksys router (older one WRT54G) and have no problems at all. I've had a smart cover on it since launch day and just took it off yesterday as I got a Griffin Survivor case. What firmware are you on? Are you jailbroken? If so, have you installed any tweaks lately and then started having the connection issue?

Most reactions

Latest posts