What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 WiFi issues... Frustrating!!

iRockSteady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've found that other ipad 2 owners are experiencing the same issues as myself. I know it's not my network. My ps3, MacBook, iPhone, evo 4g etc all connect perfectly. This is very annoyng!!

Basically it drops signal frequently. Especially when resuming from sleep. Have two different routers. Sometimes it picks up both. Often times just one or the other. Even had trouble picking up a signal period. Like I said everything else works great. Freaking apple... Btw this is my second iPad 2 (first had a blown mic) and the problems are still here.

Last edited:
OP
I

iRockSteady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this apples way of getting us to purchase 3G models? Haha! I'm using 32gb wifi...

Last edited:

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRockSteady said:
I've found that other ipad 2 owners are experiencing the same issues as myself. I know it's not my network. My ps3, MacBook, iPhone, evo 4g etc all connect perfectly. This is very annoyng!!

Basically it drops signal frequently. Especially when resuming from sleep. Have two different routers. Sometimes it up both. Often times just one or the other. Even had trouble picking up a signal period. Like I said everything else works great. Freaking apple... Btw this is my second iPad 2 (first had a blown mic) and the problems are still here.

Have you updated to current iOS 4.3.1? Sometimes that can resolved issues by updating the firmware. iPad 1 had some similar issues with wifi antenna back then. You want to isolate the issue first. If firmware doesn't resolved your issue, then it's definitely hardware issue.

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before upgrading the OS of my original iPad I had the same type of connection issues. After upgrading to the newer OS the connection issues went away. I have never had any connection issues with my iPad 2 from the get go. Wonderful device, finds all available wifi networks within it's range and connects easily to them including my phone as a hot spot when used in that manner.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Basically it drops signal frequently. Especially when resuming from sleep. Have two different routers. Sometimes it up both. Often times just one or the other. Even had trouble picking up a signal period. Like I said everything else works great. Freaking apple... Btw this is my second iPad 2 (first had a blown mic) and the problems are still here.

A number of members have reported similar problems. I guess you've tried the 'fix all problems' first step cure for the iPad - complete power down and then power up, which seems to cure a significant proportion of iPad 'ills'.

If not, then one of our moderators has suggested this when members were reporting problems with WiFi after upgrading to a recent version of iOS and I wondered if it might help here.

-------------------

This has resolved many issues and worth a try.
- Sometimes after you perform a upgrade from say iOS 3. to iOS 4.2 *the iPad or iPhone wifi or 3G speeds *may be slow.*
- This is an easy fix which does work. Please do the following:
1. Go to Settings->General->Reset
2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.
5. Enjoy the "back to normal" WiFi and 3G speeds like you had prior to the OS upgrade.*

Col

col.bris, Brisbane Australia

----------------------------------

Hope this helps but, if not, please get back to us.

Tim

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been fairly happy with the wifi but as far as Apple products go I only have the iPod touch to compare it with, and have 2 of those, both 4g, and they are the worst at dropping signals of any device I have ever owned.
However if I compare the iPad to my Sony laptop, or kindle, or my phone, all those rarely drop a signal. So guess it depends on what you are used to. It works well enough for me most of the time, but not nearly as good as my other devices.

OP
I

iRockSteady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I've upgraded to 4.3.1. That did nothing as far as resolving these issues. I'm going to try to do a network reset. Thanks for the help.

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I've upgraded to 4.3.1. That did nothing as far as resolving these issues. I'm going to try to do a network reset. Thanks for the help.

Also try other wifi areas, to see if whether is your router or not.

OP
I

iRockSteady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did a network reset and this issue is kicking my ass. Right before the reset the wifi was working decently... At that moment. After the reset I couldn't pick up ANY signal. After allowing the searching circle to do its thing a few times, I disabled wifi then enabled it immediately and found one of what should be two available signals.

I would bring the iPad back, but like I said this is my 2nd one, both having the exact same issue. I've gone through my network configuration numerous times and everything is how it should be. That pretty much boils it down to an iPad bug. Hope they fix it soon.

FYI I am using a Medialink Wireless N Router broadcasting in b/g/n mode w WPA2 encryption. I've tried using just N mode, tried turning WPA2 off etc etc

So far I haven't found a solution.

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did a network reset and this issue is kicking my ass. Right before the reset the wifi was working decently... At that moment. After the reset I couldn't pick up ANY signal. After allowing the searching circle to do its thing a few times, I disabled wifi then enabled it immediately and found one of what should be two available signals.

I would bring the iPad back, but like I said this is my 2nd one, both having the exact same issue. I've gone through my network configuration numerous times and everything is how it should be. That pretty much boils it down to an iPad bug. Hope they fix it soon.

FYI I am using a Medialink Wireless N Router broadcasting in b/g/n mode w WPA2 encryption. I've tried using just N mode, tried turning WPA2 off etc etc

So far I haven't found a solution.

Like I said try any coffee shop that offers free wifi. Also you said you are running 2 routers? That also can contribute to your problem. Turn one them off and just run one of them alone. They may be causing some interference.

OP
I

iRockSteady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dabears said:
Like I said try any coffee shop that offers free wifi. Also you said you are running 2 routers? That also can contribute to your problem. Turn one them off and just run one of them alone. They may be causing some interference.

2 story house on the water. One router is for the house, which is directly plugged into the modem. The other router is located a good distance from me. It's purpose is to provide enough signal to reach the boats on the water. More of a "booster" if you will. The booster is running on G. Your interference idea makes sense, but why is the iPad the only one experiencing these problems and not my iPhone, MacBook etc.? I will try turning the house router off and see how that effects the marina router. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated :)

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dabears said:

2 story house on the water. One router is for the house, which is directly plugged into the modem. The other router is located a good distance from me. It's purpose is to provide enough signal to reach the boats on the water. More of a "booster" if you will. The booster is running on G. Your interference idea makes sense, but why is the iPad the only one experiencing these problems and not my iPhone, MacBook etc.? I will try turning the house router off and see how that effects the marina router. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated :)

Wifi connection is strange that way. And what are the odds you got another lemon from Apple? Somehow I have a difficult understanding that.

Chun Yu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem as well, but was able to resolved it by using 2 routers.

Apparently the iPad2 doesn't really support the 2.4GHz (needs a 5GHz instead) but iPhone and other devices need it. So I end up setting up 2 routers with different settings. Now all my devices can share wifi simultaneously and no more disconnecting on my iPad2.

Google: how to set up dual band wifi

Hope this helps =o)

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem as well, but was able to resolved it by using 2 routers.

Apparently the iPad2 doesn't really support the 2.4GHz (needs a 5GHz instead) but iPhone and other devices need it. So I end up setting up 2 routers with different settings. Now all my devices can share wifi simultaneously and no more disconnecting on my iPad2.

Google: how to set up dual band wifi

Hope this helps =o)

That's weird. My apple extreme is set up as 2.4 ghz and my iPad works. I think it might have something to do with the routers brand. Long time ago I had issue with first gen iPod touch with linksys brand router, but when I switch to a different router my iPod touch then stopped having issue. So go figure, right!? :)

Most reactions