What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 wifi+3G at&t unlocked?

maldito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys!!! I need help from all of you. I am planning to buy ipad 2 3G in the US AND I am thinking if it's going to work with the use of microsim from another carrier. Please advise me!! Thanks!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys!!! I need help from all of you. I am planning to buy ipad 2 3G in the US AND I am thinking if it's going to work with the use of microsim from another carrier. Please advise me!! Thanks!!

There has been quite a bit of discussion about this on the Forum. First of all, for sure, the AT&T iPad will work outside the US with another carrier's microSIM - no problem here at all.

The issue is whether it first needs to be activated in the US with an AT&T card - say, pay as you go. The majority view is that it does - in other words you buy your iPad and then pay for a month's data plan - perhaps the smallest one they do and that 'initialises' the iPad and then it's OK when you get it back home.

But one user has claimed that this is not necessary and suggested that he was able to take an uninitialised iPad back home and get it to work. But, so far, I've only come across one member who's claimed this so, if I were you, I'd play safe and initialise the iPad in the US.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts