What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 while travelling...... Modem connection?

louise0208

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,

iv just bought an Ipad 2 but its only the wi-fi one & not the 3G (i didnt know there was a difference at the time as im a complete technophobe :confused: )

anyway..... im off on a diving holiday over the winter & the hotel we are staying in has modem connections in the rooms (wifi in reception only) is there anyway i can use my ipad instead of taking my heavy laptop?

thanks in advance

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - there's no way to connect your iPad to the wired modem connection....directly.... - that's the bad news...

but...do you have a wireless router at home with an Ethernet connection (so-called RJ-45 socket - looks a bit like a 'phone socket, but slightly different - a bit bigger)? It's likely that those modem connections in your hotel are either (a) an RJ-45 Ethernet connection or (b) a true 'modem' dial-up connection.

Now dial-up is likely to be expensive and not many hotels still have that old technology. Is it possible to confirm whether it's really dial-up (modem) or Ethernet?

Then we can help...

Love the avatar....

Tim

OP
louise0208

louise0208

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply, i spose i can email the hotel, its in egypt but a newly built hotel so hopefully not stuck in the dark ages!

i have a wireless router at home with an ethernet connection (belkin jobby that doesnt like all 5 laptops on at once)

as for the avatar......its at stoney cove when i did my first open water dive in march last year.......COLD was an understatment when your used to warm seas!

Most reactions

Latest posts