What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2: When to turn off vs. when to sleep

pixella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thus far I have two questions about my iPad 2. I did a search and did not find an answer in the forum. Here goes:

1. Is it better to keep my iPad2 in sleep mode during the day, and turning off at night (before bed), verses turning it off and on several times a day?

2. Can I leave my iPad in sleep mode while charging, or should I turn it off?

Thanks for your help.
Pixella

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I leave mine on all day and sleep when not in use. I turn it off at night except for the night it goes on charge.

sent from iPad

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Leave it on. Turn it off. Put it to sleep. Continue using. I don't belive there is ny particular reason one must turn it off while charging. In fact, I think charging triggers a wifi sync, which would not happen if it were off.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah - Unless there is a specific reason, we just set it down when we are done using it and it goes to sleep in two minutes or whatever. Seems fine to me. Although, as with any device, a cold reboot/power cycle once in a while is a good thing. If that happens each day then thats probably good enough.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad charges on "sleep" not off (or you can use it while it is charging). And you set auto sleep in settings - under auto lock.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems to me there is a LOT of confusion in threads like this that discuss "turning off" an iPad.

People are talking about:

1 letting it time out and the screen going dark

2 pushing the button on the top edge

3 holding down the button on the top edge for several seconds then sliding the screen button

4 holding down both the top button AND the home button for several seconds

(are there others?)

It certainly looks to me the people are using different terms and, especially new people, mixing these terms up so people trying to help are not always using the same terms for these four (4) actions as the person asking the question.

stevnim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just mute the audio and close the smart cover when charging the iPad at night. There is not a need to power off, unless you're working on a "project", if you know what I mean"…

Most reactions

Latest posts