What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 vs Playbook (Parody)

Skieblade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post in - if not, I apologize in advance. I recently attempted a parody video that can be found at:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53vtiIQkR1A"]YouTube - Playbook vs iPad 2 (A Parody)[/ame]

(The Bears do a parody of the Playbook vs iPad 2)

To be honest, the whole inspiration for the video was based on a wrestler (if you didn't follow wrestling from the late 1990s to the early 2000s, a certain exchange and the finale might seem weird to you), and I basically built everything else around the events that occurred during the 2:57-3:12 mark (the aforementioned exchange) of the video. It's not an attempt to start a flame war or anything (I personally don't have anything against the Playbook as a device - I just think RIM could have done things differently upon release to make it more marketable). I might try doing similar videos in the future, so I just want to gauge what people's responses are to this one. I hope you guys get a chuckle out of it :D Thanks :)

OP
S

Skieblade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the link I provided in the original post not work? In my Firefox window, the video actually shows up in the post window.

OP
S

Skieblade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh sorry, I see what you mean... for people with iPads... if you go to the youtube app and type in "playbook ipad2 xtranormal", it should be the only video that pops up (Playbook vs iPad 2 - A Parody). Sorry for the confusion.

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
great vid! playbook = FAIL when it comes to ipad1 or ipad2!

OP
S

Skieblade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha, I wouldn't call it a complete fail (even though I did pick on the Playbook in my video) - although I myself would rather have the larger screen and extra 3 hours of battery life, some people may like the idea of being able to carry the Playbook in their back pocket. And it's pretty ironic that I had to post directions for the youtube app cuz the iPad can't play flash (a thing the Playbook can do).

All in all though, I don't think the Playbook will be able to dethrone the iPad - Apple is a marketing machine, and in the end, I believe they'll be able to instil the idea within the masses that they need the iPad. If you look at the enterprise side, I think the biggest issue RIM will have is convincing companies that they need to hook their employees up with Playbooks. I mean what additional benefits can the Playbook provide over a Blackberry Smartphone (with regard to work-related tasks)? I think it'll be a tough battle for RIM - I hope they do well, but they need to get this right pretty soon or else the Playbook could end up as a dud.

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post in - if not, I apologize in advance. I recently attempted a parody video that can be found at:

YouTube - Playbook vs iPad 2 (A Parody)

To be honest, the whole inspiration for the video was based on a wrestler (if you didn't follow wrestling from the late 1990s to the early 2000s, a certain exchange and the finale might seem weird to you), and I basically built everything else around the events that occurred during the 2:57-3:12 mark (the aforementioned exchange) of the video. It's not an attempt to start a flame war or anything (I personally don't have anything against the Playbook as a device - I just think RIM could have done things differently upon release to make it more marketable). I might try doing similar videos in the future, so I just want to gauge what people's responses are to this one. I hope you guys get a chuckle out of it :D Thanks :)

This is a nice video. Does it mean I am better off having my iPad?

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

YouTube - Playbook vs iPad 2 (A Parody)

The Rock approves....

OP
S

Skieblade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only you can decide if you're better off with an iPad or not. My opinion is that from a consumer standpoint, RIM won't be able to beat Apple unless they're able to cause a huge shift in consumer sentiment. Given their track record and Apple's superb ability to market products, I don't think RIM can touch Apple here. Also, from an enterprise standpoint, even if the Playbook has better business functionality than the iPad, as I said earlier, convincing corporations to spend a chunk of their budget on it will be tough as there's no huge productivity gain that one can get from the Playbook (ie if companies have already provided their employees with Blackberry smartphones, why spend more money for things that can pretty much be done on the BB smartphone?) Maybe it's the way Apple's marketed the iPad, but I find these tablets more of a lifestyle device than a work one (ie they are devices that are meant for leisure that can somewhat do work, not devices that can do work and somewhat do leisure), and right now, Apple is king of lifestyle gadgets. In the future, the Playbook may be a better device than the iPad (ie offer a better user experience), but unless they are able to turn that into meaningful gains in marketshare, it won't matter. In today's world, the best devices are not necessarily the most successful ones, but the ones marketed best usually are. It's a somewhat unfortunate truism in today's world, but there's a reason firms spend a huge amount of money on marketing.

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skieblade said:
Only you can decide if you're better off with an iPad or not. My opinion is that from a consumer standpoint, RIM won't be able to beat Apple unless they're able to cause a huge shift in consumer sentiment. Given their track record and Apple's superb ability to market products, I don't think RIM can touch Apple here. Also, from an enterprise standpoint, even if the Playbook has better business functionality than the iPad, as I said earlier, convincing corporations to spend a chunk of their budget on it will be tough as there's no huge productivity gain that one can get from the Playbook (ie if companies have already provided their employees with Blackberry smartphones, why spend more money for things that can pretty much be done on the BB smartphone?) Maybe it's the way Apple's marketed the iPad, but I find these tablets more of a lifestyle device than a work one (ie they are devices that are meant for leisure that can somewhat do work, not devices that can do work and somewhat do leisure), and right now, Apple is king of lifestyle gadgets. In the future, the Playbook may be a better device than the iPad (ie offer a better user experience), but unless they are able to turn that into meaningful gains in marketshare, it won't matter. In today's world, the best devices are not necessarily the most successful ones, but the ones marketed best usually are. It's a somewhat unfortunate truism in today's world, but there's a reason firms spend a huge amount of money on marketing.

i understand.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Playbook will be better in that it will have adobe flash, if I'm not mistaken, so you'd have a more full web experience, without having to go to a pc to view certain web content. And yes, it may possibly be better for enterprise capabilities. However, I own an Ipad 2 and a Motorola Xoom, and the Ipad 2 is the best tablet overall, by far, in my opinion. The apps, and smoothness, along with the build quality is unmatched, as well as the design. I hate the idea of needing to be connected to a blackberry for some of the services with the Playbook. I also hate the lack of apps, and quality apps.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect businesses will see the Playbook differently. I recommended the iPhone to one of our VPs and he told me he'd already had one, and after wasting two hours playing with stuff from the App Store, and decided it wasn't going to make him more productive, so he gave it to his daughter, and went to the store and got a Blackberry.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I would so trade my BB in for the iPhone. I love my BB, but it hourglasses too much and having to battery swipe often is annoying.:mad:

Much as I love my iPad I won't swap my Blackberry for an iPhone as I love the physical keyboard. Since I've had my iPad I thought hard about getting the iPhone, but tried one again at the Apple store and tried it for a good long time, but I just could not text with the speed and accuracy I can with my blackberry.

There is a definite divide between the two brands, but I like them both for their different reasons :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts