What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 vs. iPad 4

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With the discontinuing of the iPad 2 production and Apple and others offering the iPad 4 new or refurbished, is the difference enough to justify being unfaithful to the trusty, sweet, dependable, beautiful iPad 2? (Not difficult to see the bias here!)

Used mainly for surfing, mail, updating apps, Pandora, occasional movie/video and simple games. Recognizing the new display is more pixel intensive and with other 'improvements', nevertheless the iPad 2 display and hardware is still more than adequate. Even considering the Nook HD+ whose display is nicely pixel intensive, the iPad 2 still compares favorably.

Reckon this answered the question for me already, but remain curious to hear what owners of the iPad 2 and 4(or 3) think.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing to consider when trying to decide between keeping the iPad 2 or replacing it with the iPad 4 is that the iPad 4 is 2 generations newer than the iPad 2 and will receive iOS updates and support longer than the iPad 2 will.

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What? iPad 2 is discontinued?? I literally just bought one for my mom 3 weeks ago. So if she needs help apple won't help?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What? iPad 2 is discontinued?? I literally just bought one for my mom 3 weeks ago. So if she needs help apple won't help?

I'm sure Apple will help where it is needed with any product. System upgrades for the iPad 2 will be halted due to the outdated hardware, whereas the iPad 4, with newer hardware, will see system upgrades for some time.

D

Deleted member 247820

I have iPad2, but would prefer to have iPad4 as it supports G4 SIM cards, I believe.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iMac 24 (2008) and an iPad2.
The iMac is still working too well to replace even though I really want a new iMac 27 which comes with at least 4 times the RAM and at least 4 times the Hard Drive capacity and Fusion Drive as well.
The iPad2 is working too well to replace, even though I really.. really... like the iPad Air, and iPad Mini. Both are lighter and faster with twice the WiFi power.
Should I be mad at Apple for making products that last so long? Or disappointed that I don't have a better reason to buy new stuff?
I don't think so.
Thank you Apple!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I don't see how one thing is related to the other. A device being discontinued doesn't mean is is unsupported. And there are many ways to get help, depending on what help is needed.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With the discontinuing of the iPad 2 production and Apple and others offering the iPad 4 new or refurbished, is the difference enough to justify being unfaithful to the trusty, sweet, dependable, beautiful iPad 2? (Not difficult to see the bias here!)

Used mainly for surfing, mail, updating apps, Pandora, occasional movie/video and simple games. Recognizing the new display is more pixel intensive and with other 'improvements', nevertheless the iPad 2 display and hardware is still more than adequate. Even considering the Nook HD+ whose display is nicely pixel intensive, the iPad 2 still compares favorably.

Reckon this answered the question for me already, but remain curious to hear what owners of the iPad 2 and 4(or 3) think.

You have indeed answered your own question. I have to admit that I don't find an iPad 2 to be more than adequate. My eyes tired from reading text on that device very quickly. The retina display is no joke.

OP
cruiser111

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have indeed answered your own question. I have to admit that I don't find an iPad 2 to be more than adequate. My eyes tired from reading text on that device very quickly. The retina display is no joke.

Yes, the retina display is very tempting.
It should be noted that the blacks are the same for both devices, therefore zooming to larger print where possible takes care of the ease of reading factor. Where you can't zoom, agreed, the retina display would be better.
Also, suspect the battery usage is a little better on the iPad 2.

Reckon I'll spring for the retina display some day, but not while the sweet iPad 2, for my requirements, keeps looking at me so lovingly. *sigh*

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, the retina display is very tempting.
It should be noted that the blacks are the same for both devices, therefore zooming to larger print where possible takes care of the ease of reading factor. Where you can't zoom, agreed, the retina display would be better.
Also, suspect the battery usage is a little better on the iPad 2.

Reckon I'll spring for the retina display some day, but not while the sweet iPad 2, for my requirements, keeps looking at me so lovingly. *sigh*

It's more than that to me. For one thing, zooming in all the time is no fun. It makes reading tedious. For another thing, I don't need to zoom in...I like the characters of the letters to be well formed so I can see them. Frankly, the battery life is a wash for me as I can always charge my device. The iPad 4 is several times more powerful than the iPad 2 and Apple over charged for the iPad 2 until the end of its life. For a given amount of cash, the iPad 4 is simply the better buy.

OP
cruiser111

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's more than that to me. For one thing, zooming in all the time is no fun. It makes reading tedious. For another thing, I don't need to zoom in...I like the characters of the letters to be well formed so I can see them. Frankly, the battery life is a wash for me as I can always charge my device. The iPad 4 is several times more powerful than the iPad 2 and Apple over charged for the iPad 2 until the end of its life. For a given amount of cash, the iPad 4 is simply the better buy.

Thanks for your inputs. All valid points.

And... as this is being typed on my trusty iPad 2, there exists an undeniable chemistry that cannot be easily dismissed. Interestingly, don't find that to be a dilemma. This device, for me, affords the patience required to wait for the inevitable price reductions.

Most reactions

Latest posts