What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD 2 Touch Screen Not working

leftyjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was given an IPAD 2 that was dropped and not repaired. It worked for a little while and then all of a sudden the touch screen stopped working. I hard reset it and restored the OS and it still doesn't work. I have also replaced the screen and digitizer and still no change. What else should I try? It was dropped on the bottom left corner.

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Lefty - welcome to the forum! :)

Well you may be SOOL (don't want to spell it out), and hopefully you were given the iPad for free?

If I were in the same situation, then I think that you need to take the device to an Apple store (or a reliable Apple repair store) and have an experienced opinion and options for repair and cost offered first - I suspect a losing gamble here? Good luck and please let us know what happens? :thumbs:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the good info that giradman has given you-we hope you are on your way to finding a solution.

Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to: Acessories, Help, Apple News, Hacking, Gaming, Business/Education, Special Needs and Health.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
http://www.ipadforums.net/regional-ipad-groups/

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0 and 5.1:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/ipad-user-guide-for-ios-5/id470308101?mt=11
http://itunes.apple.com/sg/book/ipad-user-guide-for-ios-5.1/id509611900?mt=11

Finally, please read the rules!
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

OP
L

leftyjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was given the IPAD for free that is why I don't mind trying to fix it myself. I am a computer tech and now getting in to phone, Iphone, and IPad repairs. Do you know what else i could try and replace to hopefully have this IPAD 2 fully operational again?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you looked into searching for this topic? If I recall there were some similiar discussions like yours there.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was given the IPAD for free that is why I don't mind trying to fix it myself. I am a computer tech and now getting in to phone, Iphone, and IPad repairs. Do you know what else i could try and replace to hopefully have this IPAD 2 fully operational again?

Hi again Lefty - well you sound like someone w/ experience and still cannot fix the iPad - correct? If so, then you certainly need someone w/ even more experience - can that be found on this forum w/o the person responding seeing your iPad 'in person'? I doubt it - please follow the advice of my first post in this thread; otherwise buy your own iPad, if you want one - :)

bgielen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Jim,

have the same problem here.
the ipad worked fine for a couple of weeks, but the digitizer suddenly failed after that.
It fell on the upper right corner.
I also replaced the digitizer (3 times) but no cigar.

Thanks for being dreadfully unhelpful giradman,
apple certified techs never even think about checking what's wrong,
they just refuse the repair.

BigLeif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Jim,
I also have the same problem. Dropped. Broken Glass. Worked for a while and quit. Need to retrieve data but it is password protected and without touch screen function, cannot download using computer. I'm appreciate that the touch screen replacement option hasn't worked so I will strike that off my list. Apple said they would replace the entire unit for about $240 or thereabouts but need my data. Any "helpful" information would be appreciated. Also, ditto bgielen's final remark.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you try to back the device up, does it ask for a passcode? I'm assuming that is where the hangup is with info retrieval. According to everything I have read, there really is no way around password protected other than a flat out wipe and setup as new device(a restore off this info just gets you a request for a passcode again). My only thought for data retrieval then would be to backup to computer(if it doesn't require passcode to do so once plugged into PC), then use another device to "restore" the info to with a working touch screen that would allow you to take off the passcode permanently(assuming you know the passcode, that is).
Repairing a device, I know nothing about though. And you are right, they seem more content to replace the whole device than find out what is wrong and fix it. Story of the times, I guess. I had a touch that I dropped and the wifi went out of when I did. Nobody would even look at repairing it for me, "buy a new one" was everybody's answer. Cheaper and better, so they say.
Hope you guys figure out your issues!

BigLeif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appears the big tip of the day is "don't passcode your IPAD". If the touch screen fails, you are indeed SOL because it appears that there is no other way to enter the Passcode. Ironically, I had the IPAD for 6 or so months before, just days before the dropping incident, exploring through the options and coming across the option to set a passcode and I thought "why not?". Big mistake. I'm still wondering, though, if there are companies, who specialize in extracting data, that have gotten around to the IPAD. I wouldn't even care if the methods were distructive. Then I'd take up Apples replacement offer and just transfer the data (wouldn't that be nice). Thanks NBT for the input.

Puri234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dropped my iPad 2 too but with more damages.After 2 weeks when i switched it(turn it upside-down) it started to go by himself.It happened when battery was 80 % so I didn't have patience to lowbat.I said that my Ipad was gone and that's it.After one week it started working a little bit and I continue until 40%.The key was that when it didn't respond I turned it upside-down.After it lowbat it started to work better.And that's it.Wait and you will see that will work.TRUST ME.

Most reactions

Latest posts