What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 Touch screen is sometimes unresponsive

Misho73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any of you guys encountered this at any point? Lately it happens (occasionally) when I am at the unlock screen the unlock bar won't respond to my touch. I have to wait for a while with hitting the sleep button couple of times before it start to sense my touch.
Feed back please.

Reaction score
How long has it been, since you last rebooted the iPad?

Try pressing Power&Home button for 7 seconds, or longer to power the device off. After restarting by pressing the Power button again, the iPad should be responsive again.

OP
M

Misho73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:

Try pressing Power&Home button for 7 seconds, or longer to power the device off. After restarting by pressing the Power button again, the iPad should be responsive again.

I did the reboot this morning. Actually this problem occurred couple of times and did not stay for long I have to keep trying to slide the bar for like 5 times before it start to respond. Then everything looks normal after.
Looks weird to me though

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

That's kind of a mashup of a restart and a reset. It should result in a soft reset, which is Overkill. And you would not have to hit the power button again, because it will finish the reset by itself.

Here is the difference.

iPad: Turning on/off and resetting

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I used to recommend the reset, when not strictly necessary, just to be thorough. Backed away from it when I realized that not once has it fixed a problem when a restart didn't, with the exception of a frozen, or non starting iPad.

And Apple only recommends it for that.

Of course, that one time could still be lurking out there, which is why I still recommend it when the restart does not work. Can be a waste of time though, so I'm sympathetic to the instant kill approach. :D

And I've never heard of a reset causing problems.

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue... Happens once a day or so.

I don't remember if it started after I upgraded to 4.3.2 or added multiple touch gestures.

Sent from my iPad2 using Forum Runner

OP
M

Misho73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
danrivito said:
I'm having the same issue... Happens once a day or so.

I don't remember if it started after I upgraded to 4.3.2 or added multiple touch gestures.

Sent from my iPad2 using Forum Runner

I did not upgrade it yet but I enabled the multi touch gestures. Could it be the reason? It happens rarely more than occasionally. Not that annoying so far. Hope it stays like this at minimum

jweaver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded to 4.3.3 at the weekend and also enabled "Multi-Touch Gestures".. All was well until today where I found the "Slide to Unlock" window unresponsive.

I did a google search and found this thread and when I read the theory that this was linked to "Multi Touch" I figured that it was more than a co-incidence.

After a bit of playing, I have found the receipe to reproduce this... Do this

1. Wake the iPad so that you can see the main OS screen (page of apps)
2. Do a 5 finger pinch (it won't do anything)
3. Sleep the pad (using the top button, or the auto sleep feature)
4. Try and wake up.

After doing this, the screen is unresponsive.... Can anyone else confirm this?

For me, this is a deal breaker.. I LOVE the Multi-Touch gestures, but I can't live with this fault.

Jon

JaiDineshable

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But how often will you actually 5 pinch on the home screen? because its meant for closing apps.

jweaver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But how often will you actually 5 pinch on the home screen? because its meant for closing apps.

You are right.. But I have done it 3 times in 2 days, so its clearly a bit of a gotcha and reading above, I am clearly not alone.

For me the problem is that after 4 years with an iTouch/iPad, I am now trying to de-program myself from using the "home" button.. So I am using the 'pinch' more than I need too.

And clearly, at a sub-concious level, I am doing it on the home screen too!

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a quick way to fix it, but the only method i have found takes about 30 seconds!

Jon

Don9307

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jweaver said:
You are right.. But I have done it 3 times in 2 days, so its clearly a bit of a gotcha and reading above, I am clearly not alone.

For me the problem is that after 4 years with an iTouch/iPad, I am now trying to de-program myself from using the "home" button.. So I am using the 'pinch' more than I need too.

And clearly, at a sub-concious level, I am doing it on the home screen too!

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a quick way to fix it, but the only method i have found takes about 30 seconds!

Jon

I thought iOS 4.3.2 was supposed to bring multiple-touch gestures to the iPad 2. I have the latest version (4.3.2) installed but when I go to Settings | General there is no switch for Multiple-touch Gestures. Can someone please help?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts