What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 switches off wifi - why?

livfoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in a hotel and I have an iPod Touch and an iPad 2 sitting side by side. I can connect them both to the same wifi network. After a time each will sleep, but when I wake up the Touch, it remains connected to the wifi, but on waking the iPad, not only is it not connected, but in its Settings wifi is off! I can't turn it on again without powering down the iPad and powering it up again! This doesn't happen when I'm at home.

What can be wrong and how can I fix it?

BTW both devices are using the latest iOS.

TIA

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
livfoss said:
I am in a hotel and I have an iPod Touch and an iPad 2 sitting side by side. I can connect them both to the same wifi network. After a time each will sleep, but when I wake up the Touch, it remains connected to the wifi, but on waking the iPad, not only is it not connected, but in its Settings wifi is off! I can't turn it on again without powering down the iPad and powering it up again! This doesn't happen when I'm at home.

TIA

I don't think it's an iPad issue, we have had similar posts before. It could be the lease time settings, or just the Router in the hotel.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

HerbalTBag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I kinda have the same problem. My iPad 2 will lose wifi connection for no reason. Then I will have to go to settings then turn the wifi off then back on for it to work it's weird.

dwd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yea I had similar issues which had to do with security setting on my wifi router.. for example I noticed WPA2 was flakey and would drop every now and then so I switched to WPA Personal and it was stable. Bare in mind I did a series of tests to determine it was an issue with the ipad2 since my other wireless devices were stable.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is definitely a bug in the ipad2 setup.

I have seen the exact same problems with two brand new ipad2s. I had both of them setup on the LAN at my house. There are seven devices running from WiFi on the network and the ONLY ones that won't hold a solid wireless connection are the two iPads (one is a 3G unit and the other is WiFi only).

Two of the units are PC Laptops that have been running for over a month without even rebooting and they never lose connection.

Reaction score
I kinda have the same problem. My iPad 2 will lose wifi connection for no reason. Then I will have to go to settings then turn the wifi off then back on for it to work it's weird.

Try setting a static ip address in your wifi settings. What I did was write down the last know good connection information and used it for a static address. This slowed my drops dramatically BUT when I did get 1 more drop later that day I changed the router to wpa from mixed.
Haven't had a drop in over 3 days vs dozens each day before. Mine would drop at will,sometimes even while downloading or uploading data.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

TIA

The fact that the Wi-Fi actually turns off is unusual, and makes me wonder if something other that the iPad's usual argument with some routers is going on. There was a similar problem/bug with the 3G iPads the release of iOS 4.3.1 (or was it 4.3?) Is your iPad's iOS version up to date?

Look under Settings >> General >> About and see what the version number is. 4.3.3 is the most recent, but 4.3.2 should be good enough to fix that bug.

This is probably a long shot, but worth looking into I think.

otacon

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Try setting a static ip address in your wifi settings. What I did was write down the last know good connection information and used it for a static address. This slowed my drops dramatically BUT when I did get 1 more drop later that day I changed the router to wpa from mixed.
Haven't had a drop in over 3 days vs dozens each day before. Mine would drop at will,sometimes even while downloading or uploading data.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

The changing to Static IP helped a lot in my case. It drops every few hours now instead of every time it went to sleep for more than a minute. I won't go away from WPA2 on my router so I'll deal with it. Not a big just annoying to have to go turn off wifi then back on again.

Most reactions

Latest posts