iPad 2 suddenly just died; it's just a black paperweight

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by chetsharp, Jan 14, 2015.

1. chetsharp

chetsharp
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My iPad2 has been updated. Never gave me problems in the past. I bought it from Apple 2 years ago. Over Christmas, I noticed it took longer to fully recharge. Then it just refused to turn on. Brought it to Apple. A genius tried plugging it in, pushing both power and home buttons, nothing. He declared that something inside got "fried". Suggested I buy the new iPad instead of having it repaired at $299. What happened? I am a 60+ retiree, only use it for emails, Candy Crush etc games, downloading library books. My 9-year old grandson has his game apps there and sometimes does some heavy tapping. It's never been dropped or spilled on, I am extra careful with it. What happened to my ipad and can it get repaired????

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There's no way to tell exactly what failed on your iPad without a full diagnostic and possibly a teardown. If Apple says something was fried inside, you'll have to get it repaired or update your iPad.

Hopefully you have a backup that can be used to set up a new or repaired ipad.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No matter how good a product is overall, there are always a small percentage that fail for no obviously reason. It sounds like you were one of the unlucky few who's iPad decided to fail without you causing it, and after the warrantee expired.

Sad, but it happens.

4. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Check around for a local reputableiPad repair service. Sounds like it may be the battery that needs to be replaced.