What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 suddenly cannot send mail - the server does not allow relaying

blueyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David did you try setting the new account up in other SMTP? I know how you feel as it happened to me andi have been with AOL forever... But I was making the mistake of deleting current and not adding new in other for outgoing server...good luck :)

MindyP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having the same problem. Email was working fine until this morning. Tried reset and that didn't work. Have also tried to delete tothe account and and add again and still get same error messgae. My other email account ont he device works fine.

2000polkadots

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK shooting from the hip here I have a POP3 account with a small ISP after I updated to OS5 I had the same issue. My outgoing mail server requires password authentication to connect to the server and the password was deleted during the update. I don't know if your AOL requires such a password. i went into Settings>Mail>selected my account>Outgoing Mail Server>Primary Server and filled in the host name, user name and password and that fixed the problem for me. Good luck

Brilliant, this totally solved the problem for me thank you so much! Just did as you suggested, filled in the missing details for the out going server and it instantly sent all the messages that had been sitting in my outbox! :thumbs::)

peter.g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is new and I have set up a Microsoft outlook account for my work and I am getting the same message frequently.

peter.g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I also have an aol personal account and have had no problems sending through this

Cubi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the problem today with AOL only, have the latest software, have tried rebooting, no luck. Has anyone got a solution yet?

Cubi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue, AOL has been working fine today when I send I get the message that the server won't allow relaying. I have tried rebooting, re-entering password,etc. No luck. Other email accounts (GMAIL,COX) work fime. AS I said it worked fineuntil today.. I am using the latest software, they only thing I did today was sync the ipad with my PC. CAn anyone help?

Bigplum11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I have had the same problem for some time now. But I think I finally fixed it! Go into the mail settings, click on smtp, turn on gmail smtp, and turn off your aol smtp. The second I did this all my email went from outbox to sent. Hope it helps.

ronoco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 2 suddenly not sending emails

Thanks for the suggestion to reboot.. Just tried it and so far seems to be working.. Not sure why it all started acting up a couple of days ago..but looks like i was not the only one.. I use gmail...so aol was not an issue..thanks again..

Crawfdavidson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had the same trouble on my IPad and my iPhone, I have tried deleting and re-entering to no avail, then tried doing so but entering my aol address in @aol.co.uk format on both devices, and it worked, rather strange, but I can send emails!

Ryan Willson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks to Chrisroyall as this worked perfectly for me, had this issue for easily over a year now. When you turn off the primary SMTP server, add a new one at this will allow you to edit the outgoing settings for the server. Keep the server name as smtp.aol.com but don't add aol.com or aol.co.uk which ever one you are using, to the end of your username. Worked perfectly. Great site and great people, thanks so much.

Ryan Willson

bonnie7168

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ryan Willson said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks to Chrisroyall as this worked perfectly for me, had this issue for easily over a year now. When you turn off the primary SMTP server, add a new one at this will allow you to edit the outgoing settings for the server. Keep the server name as smtp.aol.com but don't add aol.com or aol.co.uk which ever one you are using, to the end of your username. Worked perfectly. Great site and great people, thanks so much.

Ryan Willson

I tried this but it will no accept the address without the aol.com extension with my user name. Any other suggestions

gert0517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FIXED!
Had the same problem. AOL had been working for months, stopped working for no reason. I checked the settings against aol's instructions and the username was wrong - aol state that the username should not have the @aol.com suffix but it did. The next problem encountered was that the iPad would not let me change the username under outgoing smtp settings. Answer is to do the following:
Go to settings -> mail ->aol account ->outgoing mail server.
Turn the primary smtp server off.
Create a new one for smtp.aol.com with the username without @aol.com at the end and your password.
The rest of the settings should populate automatically.
Good luck.

I thank you, my boss thanks you. I am in no way technically inclined, but with a good google search I was able to fix this and she now has her aol email working. By the way, who uses aol anymore. GMAIL people, its awesome!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts