What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 suddenly cannot send mail - the server does not allow relaying

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a similar problem that has cropped up from time to time since I first set up email 12 months ago.
It just came back, for no apparent reason. Previously the reboot worked but this time no. After a few days getting more cross I revisited the set up and remembered it was also an outgoing port problem one time. So I changed this back to port 25 and all cured once more!
I think there can be various reasons for the dreaded relay message.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Franjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

We have started having this problem and after reading the posts on this thread, I tried a couple of the suggestions.

Basically turned the existing server and created a new one, omitting the".com"from the User ID. I also the had to turn off the SSL on the new server before it would work.

Thanks to Chrisroyall and others!!

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I had to completely remove the email account from my iPad and set it up from scratch, that seems to have worked for now.

Kim79my

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you lovely people. This has been driving me mad and now all fixed!!

Golftravler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem only it started when I up graded the software to5.0.1. My IPad worked fine before this. I tried the system reset, reloaded the software and deleted the e-mail accounts, none of which worked.

Ipad2
Wifi only

I have had the iPad 2 for 2 months and it has worked fine with my aol email account on my home and public wifi.
Last week I sent an email and received the message
Cannot send mail
A copy has been placed in your outbox. The recipient "[email protected]" was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying.

The message appears whether I send an email from home or elsewhere irrespective of the recipient and to several different ISP's.

I am the only user and have made no changes to the ipad settings that I am aware of.

Do you think the iPad is faulty and should be returned to the apple store for a fix or are there things I should try first?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At this point I would take it back to the store. It is very frustrating and clearly the new update caused these issues. Some of us have resolved them (or at least it appears that way for now). Take it back and see what they say. If it is as prevalent as it seems to be, they will likely issue a patch.

vickib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have suddenly had a similiar problem which was solved. I could receive mail but couldn't send. I would get an error message " a copy of the message has been placed in the outbox, senders id was rejected at the server ", or something to that effect. My email account is associated with my work, which runs its on servers (not a gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc. account) anyway, I had the IT guy check my outgoing mail server settings as I suspected that might be the problem, and sure enough they had changed. In my case the outgoing server should have been the same as the incoming server, but had gotten changed somehow to att.yahoo.com. I have an att dsl account at home, but no one had manually changed the setting. When the ipad was first set up by someone at work mail worked both ways have no idea how settings were changed. The ipad has only been hooked back up to my laptop a couple of times at most to transfer pictures, so it must have been some synching process, just guessing really have no idea, any thoughts?

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vickib said:
I have suddenly had a similiar problem which was solved. I could receive mail but couldn't send. I would get an error message " a copy of the message has been placed in the outbox, senders id was rejected at the server ", or something to that effect. My email account is associated with my work, which runs its on servers (not a gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc. account) anyway, I had the IT guy check my outgoing mail server settings as I suspected that might be the problem, and sure enough they had changed. In my case the outgoing server should have been the same as the incoming server, but had gotten changed somehow to att.yahoo.com. I have an att dsl account at home, but no one had manually changed the setting. When the ipad was first set up by someone at work mail worked both ways have no idea how settings were changed. The ipad has only been hooked back up to my laptop a couple of times at most to transfer pictures, so it must have been some synching process, just guessing really have no idea, any thoughts?

Yep, same thing has happened to me a few times randomly.
Annoying but once you know its an easy remedy...if not a complete permanent fix as yet.

glennanddawn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have the same problem. I can receive mail but not send. Can someone talk me through how to solve this please? I am on O2 server and not too clued up on these things. Many thanks, glenn

rdkib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheBigShed said:
Hi,
I had the same is issue and the answer was that my email address had been compromised by hackers they simply were using my email and address book to send emails
I was informed by my ISP either I stop using my main address as in relaying from my iPad and to use a separate account it's the ISP that stops you sending emails from your iPad or from your email on a server
Hope this helps
Need anymore give me a shout

Hive just read your last message. Was the problem with your iPad or comp? If it was your iPad could you talk me thru what you had to do please.
Thank you

rdkib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scottbarton said:
Blueyes! I think I have fixed it!
I manually added the Smtp settings again for the AOL outgoing mail server. I inputted the username and password which was highlighted as optional, I then disabled the default primary aol server.
Emails have been sending ok since I did this.
Try that and let me know.

Hi Scott,
I've just read your advice note. Someone else told me about the smtp but I can't find anywhere on my iPad or phone that mentions it. Would you be able to advise me pls.

Regards

deaks100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been having similar problems, either the senders address is rejected or the recipients address is rejected by the server. Email is saved to outbox. I checked and rechecked mail settings compared with my iPhone which has no problem sending emails from same location ( my place of work accessed by Wi F). I have just arrived home and the emails have been sent (accessed via Wi Fi but to ISP associated to my email account) Answer is different ISPs. Must be an iPad issue as the iPhone is not affected.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
deaks100 said:
I have been having similar problems, either the senders address is rejected or the recipients address is rejected by the server. Email is saved to outbox. I checked and rechecked mail settings compared with my iPhone which has no problem sending emails from same location ( my place of work accessed by Wi F). I have just arrived home and the emails have been sent (accessed via Wi Fi but to ISP associated to my email account) Answer is different ISPs. Must be an iPad issue as the iPhone is not affected.

You may want to completely delete the email account on your iPad and start all over. You will see the SMTP settings inside the mail set up. It may be in advanced settings.

davidlroper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NYHorsewoman said:
You may want to completely delete the email account on your iPad and start all over. You will see the SMTP settings inside the mail set up. It may be in advanced settings.
---------

I am a new iPad2 user. When I set up my mail, everything worked except AOL. For the very first attempt to send, it gave me the "does not allow relaying" error messaging. On the advice of others, I deleted and re-entered my AOL account information, made sure that SSL was enabled, made sue the outgoing server information was in place. Nothing works, and I've never been able to send an outgoing message with AOL.

Next step is to abandon my AOL account and move everything to Gmail, which works fine. But I've had AOL for an eternity, so the transition won't be easy.

Most reactions

Latest posts