What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 suddenly cannot send mail - the server does not allow relaying

blueyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Twerppoet, thanks for the advice, but that didn't make any difference either :(

OP
B

Bradley33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try deleting the account in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars then re-adding it.
Hi Twer,You should have read the earlier posts before suggesting something which has already been tried by me and others and by the apple store too. It did not fix the problem. I would be grateful for any possible solutions not tried yet.Thank you

OP
B

Bradley33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just happened again with 2 important emails. Now I'm frustrated.
Can you confirm you are getting the "cannot relay" problem with IOS 5 so the update did not fix the problem?I will try the update but if it doesn't work I shall allow an apple store tech to look at it. If that is unsuccessful I will return it for a refund on the basis that it is not fit for purpose. Just to recap, my aol mail works fine on pc's and macs. This problem is unique to my ipad 2 so I reasonably coclude that it is an apple incomptibility with aol.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK shooting from the hip here I have a POP3 account with a small ISP after I updated to OS5 I had the same issue. My outgoing mail server requires password authentication to connect to the server and the password was deleted during the update. I don't know if your AOL requires such a password. i went into Settings>Mail>selected my account>Outgoing Mail Server>Primary Server and filled in the host name, user name and password and that fixed the problem for me. Good luck

blueyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I updated to i0S5 no problem when it first came out, what in October and only now has my ipad2 started playing up! The last few days it was going to my outbox, but then after about an hour it was still sending, but now I don't even get that!

Fiona01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I too am on aol and have had the same problem. After numerous google searches and having no joy except offers of sites wanting to take my money to solve a problem which I shouldn't have I think I have found a way around it. Instead of going direct to your mail on you iPad go onto safari and log into your aol account. When you type in the URL make sure you remove the iPad extension which is entered automatically then sign into your email account. Just tried it and sent email no problem. Unfortunately there is no outbox so you can't retrieve emails that you have already had blocked.

Hope this helps.

Scottbarton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad I am not alone. Hugely frustrating, it's obviously an AOL/iPad thing. Was working fine up until a few days ago, and then started to fail to send. This is my main email account and at first thought it was my iPad. Deleted account, reinstated, checked for updates etc etc....no joy.
Eventually I installed my yahoo account and I can send emails no problem.

Apple...help!!!!!

Fiona01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this must be an apple problem. Get it sorted before I fall out of love with my iPad.

Last edited:

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, this is not an AOL problem. I am getting the relaying problem with 2 emails right now and neither one involves aol on either end. So annoying and it seems to be random.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As Tim has often pointed out, relay problems are usually an authentication problem caused when you use email off the email provider's network. It is most often solved by turning on SSL in the account. This may or may not have anything to do with what is going on, but I'm mentioning it just in case.

I don't remember if it's been suggested in this thread yet, but check your account settings and make sure SSL is turned on.

blueyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Twerp, not sure what SSL is exactly, but I've just looked and I can see S/MIME which is off, so should I switch that on? Thanks

Chrisroyall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FIXED!
Had the same problem. AOL had been working for months, stopped working for no reason. I checked the settings against aol's instructions and the username was wrong - aol state that the username should not have the @aol.com suffix but it did. The next problem encountered was that the iPad would not let me change the username under outgoing smtp settings. Answer is to do the following:
Go to settings -> mail ->aol account ->outgoing mail server.
Turn the primary smtp server off.
Create a new one for smtp.aol.com with the username without @aol.com at the end and your password.
The rest of the settings should populate automatically.
Good luck.

blueyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get it! I turned the primary server off, it won't let me take the aol.com off of my username, so kept it there and when I just tried to send mail it comes up ' The connection to the outgoing server smtp.aol.com failed'! What am I doing wrong guys?

blueyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got the Primary server showing off and the Other SMTP on, and it's still coming up with the same message re relaying!?

Most reactions

Latest posts