What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 stuck w itunes charger pic

Kariann9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 2- unsure on which iOS but may be original software or one upgrade only ever received. The kids just played on it, we tried upgrading by hooking to Mac as no aps worked anymore. It kept saying restore on laptop- we agreed but each time (tried 5 +) it won't successfully restore or upgrade.
Now it is stuck in itunes mode not allowing me access anything.
Advice?

OP
K

Kariann9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also- I see it connected on the laptop and it is not new. We do not care about the data on it. I tried using previous threads but mine seems unique.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's on the charger logo, plug it in to a power source let it charge for at least 30 minutes. Try restoring it again afterwards.

If you get the "connect to iTunes" screen, recovery mode should help you out of it. Did you follow the instructions in my link exactly?

Also: is iTunes on your computer up to date?

OP
K

Kariann9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will try instructions again when I get home. Yes laptop is up to date. It is def iTunes plug showing not charger, but I'll try that too.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Error code 9 we are receiving too btw
Check your security software. Make sure it doesn't prevent your computer from connecting to Apple's servers. That's necessary, or else you won't be able to restore your iPad.

Also check your USB connection. If possible, try a different USB plug.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Error 9 means a USB/ Hardware error. Try a different cable, check your dock connector for damage or debris. If you are using a PC laptop, try a Mac. If none of these work try the apple store.

From personal experience some iPad 2s just up and die like this after a few years. I have a couple here in the parts bin that went the same way. You may want to prepare yourself for that possibility.

OP
K

Kariann9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok cord changed/ rebooted - still same error 9 code. Any other tricks? It starts process and does extraction...,

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since none of the recommended solutions has helped, you may want to consider taking the iPad to the nearest Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment. They can try the update there and run a full diagnostic if it still won't update. The appointment is free and will tell you if you have a hardware problem that's preventing the restore.

Most reactions

Latest posts