What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 stuck in recovery mode

fraz422

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys !
So I'm a uni student just now and before i left for university I gave my mum my ipad. I had jailbroken it with greenp0ison and i think it was on 5.1 ios. Anyway long story short after telling my mum do not update the ipad she clicked the update button. The ipad is now stuck in recovery mode and i have no clue how to fix it ! Heres the kicker though. my mums laptop which i jailbroke the ipad and which has the back up on the ipad on it isnt turning on. What do i do !?!

I have two questions basically : firstly what do i do ? and secondly can I just remove the ios from the ipad and install a non broken one.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you have a two-fold problem, that's for sure! :)

The first is that you will have to restore the iPad back to stock condition. The only iOS you can go to is iOS 6.1.3. You'll have to find a computer running the latest iTunes and use it to do that. The easiest way to describe the steps to restore is to refer you to this thread by my fellow moderator, f4780y: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

If you follow all the steps exactly as written, you should end up with a stock iPad running the newest iOS. Oh, you can't jail break it (as iOS 6.1.3 isn't jail breakable) but at least it'll be running.

The other part of your problem, that the computer to which you normally sync is kaput - that's a bit trickier. It means that when you restore the iPad to iOS 6,1.3, you'll have to restore it as new since you don't have access to the backup (and, with your iPad all wonky, you can't create a backup). So, you'll lose all your settings and data on the restore/upgrade to iOS 6.1.3. It'll be as if you got the iPad right from the store.

However, if you get that laptop working, you can always put the backup on the iPad.

Not the best news, I'm afraid, but that's what we've got. Good luck.

Marilyn

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to add to all that great advice. It maybe that the laptop HD is fine but there is something else wrong with the laptop. If that is the case, you can buy an HD caddy (lots on Amazon at quite low prices) and extract the HD from the laptop, if you then connect it to another computer running the same OS you should be able to boot from it and then you can restore your iPad data.......it's a little long winded but if that data is important to you then it's an option.

The Archangel

fusa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! You don't need to worry! You can go to the 6.1.3 with the guide the other fellow gave you and after that you CAN downgrade to 5.1.1 which is jail breakable :) To do that you can follow this guide [Moderator edit: Removed link.] ( I don't now if is a similar guide in this forum, that's why I gave you this one and generally " XXXXXXXXXX" has a lot information for such a problems)

The problem with the pc that does not open is obviously that you will not be able to restore your ipad backup .... I am almost sure that you now that you can use an other pc to fix and jailbreak your iPad and the only problem is the backup , but just to be fully covered :)

Hope I helped !

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, fusa, but we DO have our own links for stuff like this. ;) We are an excellent source of information for jail breaking an iPad (and working the various tweaks and any issues that might arise). Have a look in our Hacking section. It's chock full of good stuff...

What fusa is talking about, fraz422, is that if you have SHSH blobs for both iOS 4.x (any version) and iOS 5.1.1, you might be able to downgrade that iPad2 back to iOS 5.1.1 to re-jailbreak it. I say might because I don't know if anyone's tried it after they've upgraded their iPad to iOS 6.1.3.

Again, however, this is possible only if you have both sets of blobs. For further details, see this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=92572

Of course, you may just decide you like iOS 6.1.3, even though its not jail breakable.

Either way, hope some of this is helpful.

Marilyn

fusa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, fusa, but we DO have our own links for stuff like this. ;) We are an excellent source of information for jail breaking an iPad (and working the various tweaks and any issues that might arise). Have a look in our Hacking section. It's chock full of good stuff...

What fusa is talking about, fraz422, is that if you have SHSH blobs for both iOS 4.x (any version) and iOS 5.1.1, you might be able to downgrade that iPad2 back to iOS 5.1.1 to re-jailbreak it. I say might because I don't know if anyone's tried it after they've upgraded their iPad to iOS 6.1.3.

Again, however, this is possible only if you have both sets of blobs. For further details, see this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=92572

Of course, you may just decide you like iOS 6.1.3, even though its not jail breakable.

Either way, hope some of this is helpful.

Marilyn

I am glad to help! Sorry for the link! I just wanted to give a guide for downgrading and I didn't knew any other! Thanks for changing it with the forum's guide :)

Most reactions

Latest posts