What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 stolen...help me get it back

suthernkumfert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off I just want to hey to everyone and thanks in advance for any help!

I got an ipad2 as a gift and fell in love with it as i was exploring all the different options within it. But I then had it stolen. yes the best thing that ever came into my life was ripped away before I could even figure everything out about it. I did have the mobile me software installed on it and yes there was a passcode to lock it out. but i have not had any luck in finging it. I was wondering a couple different things. First, would one have to crack the passcode before the mobile me software could locate it? I had verizon 3g service so could they help me in some way to find it? I also read that people could wipe it clean just by hooking it to itunes? If this is true by someone wiping it could I still track it some how? Or is it one of them things that once it gets wiped it is gone and all hope is lost? I dont know I just want my ipad2 back. Please help me understand how all this works and if I just need to forget about it and come to the conclusion that I wont get it back?

thanks for any help!

OP
S

suthernkumfert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If mobile me was setup go to Apple - MobileMe click on "Current members log in here" and see where is the iPad

everytime i search for it it dont find it...does that me that the person does not have it on? or connected to the internet? or if they did wipe it would it still show up?

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, first lets start with just keeping your post only here. You was having two other threads with the same info and they been deleted due to rules violation.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
if you have 3g and is not locating then it most be turned off. Keep locating the item over and over to see if they turn it on.

OP
S

suthernkumfert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you have 3g and is not locating then it most be turned off. Keep locating the item over and over to see if they turn it on.

yeah i been doing that for the past week and no luck...so what measures can i turn to now to finding it? so if it is off it wont find it of course but I also know there is a way to wipe it form what I have read on the internet, am i right about this? If so and the person that took it knows this and they did wipe it would i still have way of finding it?

Vlammetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't 'wipe' it as in completely erasing all memory etc. The iPad will remember it's own serial number when switched on. You CAN reset it via iTunes and register it under ones own name. I have no idea wether or not Apple software will detect and act on same serialmnumbers registed twice online. I also do not knwo if you can use it without registering online. Anyone?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
S

suthernkumfert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't 'wipe' it as in completely erasing all memory etc. The iPad will remember it's own serial number when switched on. You CAN reset it via iTunes and register it under ones own name. I have no idea wether or not Apple software will detect and act on same serialmnumbers registed twice online. I also do not knwo if you can use it without registering online. Anyone?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ok thanks for commenting...so let me get this right, they can wipe all the added pograms, pics, and contact info on it but the factory shipped info will still be on there. so if one did do that, by me going into the moblie me i would not find it right? I could only hope that apple may kick it out and not allow another user to register the same ipad twice correct?

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry for these questions... any details on how it was stolen? could it be possible that the gadget may have been misplaced and just ran out of battery charge?

OP
S

suthernkumfert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry for these questions... any details on how it was stolen? could it be possible that the gadget may have been misplaced and just ran out of battery charge?

no problem with the questions, i let my son use it and when he came home he was upset to have to tell me that it had been stold while he was in the store and it was sitting on the passenger seat. He went into a store and when he came out the window was broke and the ipad along with his car stereo had been taken. he filed a police report and we contacted verizon because we had the 3g service so we thought that they may be able to track it but they told me because of privacy rules they can not track it unless we had a court order so i guess i am SOL(Sh!t outa luck)...it is ok though i am going to buy another one after i run out of options. and that is what brings me to this site. so do you know of any other way to track the ipads if so i would welcome any ideas that i can try to recover my ipad.

thanks

Most reactions