What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2-- so far, not so good

ShovelFLH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sold my iPad a few weeks ago in preparation for the iPad 2. Friday , I waited at the PX where I'm stationed and bought one of the last 64 GB Wi-Fi models they had, despite it being white. After restoring my back up though iTunes on a Win 7 machine, the iPad 2 consistently crashes, resets on its own, reverts to home screen when starting an app, and generally does things the iPad never did. After one of times I tried to reset (off switch & home button), it locked up with the silver apple, the timing circle and two purple lines and remained that way until I pressed/ held the off switch & home button again (see image). Anyone else with these issues?

Attachments

• iPad 2 screen.jpg
    iPad 2 screen.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 598

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, it's clearly broken. Exchange it at your first opportunity. Apple sold 500,000 to 1 million iPads over the last 3 days. There are bound to be a percentage of broken ones.

OP
S

ShovelFLH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Given the flawlessness of the original iPad's (as well as iPod Touch and 3d gen iPod)function using this system, I think the PC installing my apps through iTunes 10.2.1.1 has f' all to do with the issue. I'm doing a complete restore now. Will take to the genius bar if it doesn't work and post the results in any case.

OP
S

ShovelFLH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Restored last night and it still crashes. I'm not very computer knowledgeable but it seems programs which are video intensive crash it or degrade its capabilities to the point that simple actions, like going to the settings screen, do not work. Facetime, Midnight HD, and Plants vs. Zombies HD will crash the device. There may well be others but I haven't had the device long enough to figure out more and haven't been able to keep it running in any case. Now to the Genius bar or just return it and wait for one out of a later production run?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Restored last night and it still crashes. I'm not very computer knowledgeable but it seems programs which are video intensive crash it or degrade its capabilities to the point that simple actions, like going to the settings screen, do not work. Facetime, Midnight HD, and Plants vs. Zombies HD will crash the device. There may well be others but I haven't had the device long enough to figure out more and haven't been able to keep it running in any case. Now to the Genius bar or just return it and wait for one out of a later production run?

Sounds like a faulty GPU core.

incognito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if you take it to the Apple store you can exchange it and they'll have them in stock for exchanges only. I only say this because when the iPhone had a delivery wait time of 2-3 weeks apple store had a lot for exchanges. They just are not in a retail box but brand new.

Sent from my iPad 2!

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
donka said:
Sounds like a faulty GPU core.

+1 on this as well. Exchange it.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Storm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assumed you upgraded iTunes to the latest version before restoring to your new iPad 2. Be sure to let's us know your outcome. Good luck.

OP
S

ShovelFLH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recap and update--Upgraded to latest iTunes before initially connecting it; installed backed up settings from previous iPad; crashed/reset frequently. Did a complete system restore, installed backed up settings from previous iPad; crashed/reset LESS frequently but still crashed/reset in a repeatable manner. Box it up, let it sit, did not reconnect it to a computer, then can't get it to crash at Apple store. Genius does confirm the shut down events so I'm not loco (cool diagnotic software btw). Take it home and, you guessed it, it reset in the middle of an app. Should I wait a little while for iOS and app updates?

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
It still sounds like you have a bad unit. Since it didn't shut down at the Apple store, did they not want to exchange it for you?

I recently bought another Ipod touch and, I realize the one I returned before was a dud. At first I thought it was normal but, since using this new one I know that not to be the case. Some times it just happens, even with Apple.

KarlaMonique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My home key doesn't always work. I was thinking that it had something to do with my Internet connect. I am also having the white light leak at the bottom of my screen. I will take mines back to the store in a few weeks to show them. It's not a big deal now but I would like It fixed eventually.

Most reactions