iPad 2-- so far, not so good

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by ShovelFLH, Mar 13, 2011.

1. ShovelFLH

ShovelFLH iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I sold my iPad a few weeks ago in preparation for the iPad 2. Friday , I waited at the PX where I'm stationed and bought one of the last 64 GB Wi-Fi models they had, despite it being white. After restoring my back up though iTunes on a Win 7 machine, the iPad 2 consistently crashes, resets on its own, reverts to home screen when starting an app, and generally does things the iPad never did. After one of times I tried to reset (off switch & home button), it locked up with the silver apple, the timing circle and two purple lines and remained that way until I pressed/ held the off switch & home button again (see image). Anyone else with these issues?

Attached Files:

2. Chriztofor

Chriztofor iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Exchange it for another.
  3. Tarkio

Tarkio iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to hear that, it's clearly broken. Exchange it at your first opportunity. Apple sold 500,000 to 1 million iPads over the last 3 days. There are bound to be a percentage of broken ones.
  4. jhood2323

jhood2323 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    return it but likely they would not have one in stock
  5. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +532 / 0
    Looks like hardware issue return it for replacement
  6. hoshnasi

hoshnasi iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Take it to an Apple store?
  7. ShovelFLH

ShovelFLH iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Given the flawlessness of the original iPad's (as well as iPod Touch and 3d gen iPod)function using this system, I think the PC installing my apps through iTunes 10.2.1.1 has f' all to do with the issue. I'm doing a complete restore now. Will take to the genius bar if it doesn't work and post the results in any case.
  8. ShovelFLH

ShovelFLH iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Restored last night and it still crashes. I'm not very computer knowledgeable but it seems programs which are video intensive crash it or degrade its capabilities to the point that simple actions, like going to the settings screen, do not work. Facetime, Midnight HD, and Plants vs. Zombies HD will crash the device. There may well be others but I haven't had the device long enough to figure out more and haven't been able to keep it running in any case. Now to the Genius bar or just return it and wait for one out of a later production run?
  9. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Sounds like a faulty GPU core.
  10. incognito

incognito iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm pretty sure if you take it to the Apple store you can exchange it and they'll have them in stock for exchanges only. I only say this because when the iPhone had a delivery wait time of 2-3 weeks apple store had a lot for exchanges. They just are not in a retail box but brand new.

Sent from my iPad 2!
  11. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    +1 on this as well. Exchange it.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
  12. Storm

Storm iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I assumed you upgraded iTunes to the latest version before restoring to your new iPad 2. Be sure to let's us know your outcome. Good luck.
  13. ShovelFLH

ShovelFLH iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Recap and update--Upgraded to latest iTunes before initially connecting it; installed backed up settings from previous iPad; crashed/reset frequently. Did a complete system restore, installed backed up settings from previous iPad; crashed/reset LESS frequently but still crashed/reset in a repeatable manner. Box it up, let it sit, did not reconnect it to a computer, then can't get it to crash at Apple store. Genius does confirm the shut down events so I'm not loco (cool diagnotic software btw). Take it home and, you guessed it, it reset in the middle of an app. Should I wait a little while for iOS and app updates?
  14. qnet

qnet iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It still sounds like you have a bad unit. Since it didn't shut down at the Apple store, did they not want to exchange it for you?

I recently bought another Ipod touch and, I realize the one I returned before was a dud. At first I thought it was normal but, since using this new one I know that not to be the case. Some times it just happens, even with Apple.
  15. KarlaMonique

KarlaMonique iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My home key doesn't always work. I was thinking that it had something to do with my Internet connect. I am also having the white light leak at the bottom of my screen. I will take mines back to the store in a few weeks to show them. It's not a big deal now but I would like It fixed eventually.
  16. eviltuna

eviltuna iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've got a 32GB + 3G and mine is running flawlessly. You definitely have a defective unit, I also know someone who has light leakage on his screen which mine does not have as well, so its definitely a defective unit, it does happen, just bring it back and get another unit.
  17. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Do this then, and I bet it'll work. Take it back to the store and demand a refund of your money if they won't exchange it for another new one. Regardless if they can't replicate what's happened to u at home with ur device. Once they see u want ur money back, that'll change their minds and they "should" gladly give u another new one then. U are still under the 2week return policy. Don't wait, seriously, cuz if u do, u are gonna have to go thru warranty and all they will do is give you a refurbished unit. Nah!! U don't want that. U bought it brand new and want it exchange noes for another brand new one. Those stores try to hold out cuz returns under 2 week policy goes on them, if they get u past 2 weeks, then it falls on the warranty, meaning manufacturer. SO DON'T WAIT ANY LONGER! Forget waitng for new iOS upgrade, it should work perfect right out the box. Don't wait and sell itself short n u be even more angry that u did.
  18. xune

xune iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    There's an Apple store within a few miles from your location at the Tacoma Mall. They'll be able to check it out for you. Make a reservation for the Genius Bar either at Apple.com or by using the Apple Store app.
  19. Max

Max iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0
    Did you try setting it up as a new device? (instead of running the backup from your old one)
  20. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0

Good point ;-). I always wondered if restoring an ipad1 info to a ipad2, running on ios4.3, would mess things up. Reason being this is new hardware on iPad 2 and more than likely people restoring an older iOS version backup info into a new hardware and iOS version ipad2. This is a good thread because if I get an ipad2 or 3, I will be doing the same thing, trying to transfer my apps n info so the OP solution found is very important