What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 smart cover is too expensive

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love the idea of sticking to the fridge, BUT not sure I would trust the smart cover to hold my iPad securely.

Do many of you Folks use it ad a fridge magnet?
I have seen some strong fridge magnets designed for holding the iPad but they are expensive.

Once I get it I'll give it a go, tenuously of course. I bet it'll work, though. I was doing some pretty crazy things with those at Best Buy the other day.

Rbwood1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SingingSabre said:
I've heard of people opening the smart cover then sticking it to their fridge via magnets turning the iPad into a recipe display.

Sounds quite useful for some of the stuff I've been known to do.

I wouldn't trust the magnets to keep my thousand dollar investment from crashing down onto the hard tile kitchen floor! I never liked the "Smart cover" for the simple fact that it doesn't offer any kind of side protection. Dropping an IPad with a smart cover is the same as dropping it with no cover at all! I got a sweet "Taurus" case made outta leather and suede at BestBuy for 65 and I have no complaints. I highly recommend it.

Rbwood1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the "smart cover" is crap. That thing offers no side protection what so ever. I can't imagine a falling IPad landing flat on it's face! Get yourselves a leather Taurus. It swivels, black leather outside, light blue suede inside, elastic strap to keep the cover shut and a nifty 2" hole in the back where the apple is so everybody knows it's the real deal tablet and a blackberry or a xoom, whatever that is! LMFAO!!!

Rbwood1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kirst said:
I don't have a case for mines, i think it ruins the look of it.

Maaaan, you say that now! I like using mine "naked" too but I just think it's a little too risky! Good luck with that!

Toochief

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I picked up a Tarus today and love the lightweight full body protection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bought the leather cover and very happy.
Just works.
Guess I'm lazy but the flip on, flip off is awesome.
This what computing has lacked up until now.

Price is reasonable compared to a new DSLR lens........

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kirst said:
I don't have a case for mines, i think it ruins the look of it.

Maaaan, you say that now! I like using mine "naked" too but I just think it's a little too risky! Good luck with that!

I love using mine "naked" too! But only if I am stationary on the couch or something. I can't walk around without the case.

But I LOVE taking it out of it's case ~ it is like having a new iPad all over again.;)

Veritas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I'm going to use the bodyguardz white carbon fiber for the back and the smart cover.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Rbwood1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Toochief said:
I picked up a Tarus today and love the lightweight full body protection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good choice! I love the Taurus cover. I also have a clear screen protector as well. Best buy tried to convince me to pay them 10 dollars to "install" it! Nice try BestBuy!! Enjoy the new cover!!

Rbwood1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aspasia said:
Really? I think it's made for people who appreciate the instant and automatic wake/sleep the smart cover provides.

The privacy factor is nice, too: someone peering over your shoulder trying to read your screen? Just flip the smart cover down.

Automatic wake/sleep? That's some IPad propaganda!! Is it really that hard to push the button?? Lmao!

applebite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.mactip.net
I have a leather smart cover on the front, and an invisible shield on the back. Decent protection, without ruining the look, or added weight. Although, you're right, the smart cover is a rip-off. The leather one goes for $80 where I live.

enoeht

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that is a dangerous cover. It's a great marketing product, but it doesnt protect the iPad has it should, leaving is back naked and it's very easy to drop the iPad into the ground if you just hold the smart cover. Overall, it's expensive... Bad purchase.

enoeht

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even with the backcover it's easy to drop the iPad into the ground. Smartcover with backcover integrated it's the only solution...

Most reactions