What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 smart cover is too expensive

rishi85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
45 dollars is way too much for that thing. It looks good and is handy but really expensive even by apple standards. Any alternatives?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

rishi85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you in the U.S?
Everything seems to be cheap down there. Here in Ottawa it is 45 dollars and keep in mind the Canadian dollar is a lot more than the American.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forty-five bucks through Apple? Makes no sense. Yeah, I know about the declining dollar but in keeping with the rules of this forum, shall keep my (strong) opinion to myself.

Ayrshire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have the cover, and don't like it. Used it for one day and put it back into box.
wish I could get my money back.

MonoJoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought one after a bit of research on what to get but returned it. I think its a bit suspicious that subdued colors only come in the expensive leather version so I got the orange PU. I'll admit that it is a pretty nifty device and certainly does what it promises. However the lack of back protection and the fact it allows the iPad to fall forward when used on any sort of angle (like when lounging on the couch) meant I returned it for a refund after a week. If you bought both the black smart cover and then say a dodo type back protector you'd get not much change from 100 bux - bit pricey IMO.

Got a cheapo 5 dollar eBay silicone case for now but have ordered a leather folio style case online for longer term. That's what I have had since day 1 with my original iPad and it works great for my usage style both at home and work.

iBealicious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree its expensive plus i hate the fact that it doesnt have a cover for the back part. So i decided to just get a different case for my ipad2.

Sent from my iPad

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is made for the people who know nothing about iPad who think that glass needs more protection than the metal.

Really? I think it's made for people who appreciate the instant and automatic wake/sleep the smart cover provides.

The privacy factor is nice, too: someone peering over your shoulder trying to read your screen? Just flip the smart cover down.

iPad2for1.com

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rishi85 said:
45 dollars is way too much for that thing. It looks good and is handy but really expensive even by apple standards. Any alternatives?

I have the excellent Folio case made by Cygnett. It has magentas in to replicate the sleep/wake functionality. Worth a look...

Thx :)

Rich

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
Really? I think it's made for people who appreciate the instant and automatic wake/sleep the smart cover provides.

The privacy factor is nice, too: someone peering over your shoulder trying to read your screen? Just flip the smart cover down.

Yes really, many case have the sleep/wake up function (which of course is a nice idea in itself). And closing the cover for privacy, cant you make it any more far fetched? You can close every case - if it isnt used as a stand and in that case this oh so important feature is lost on the smart cover too.

Last edited:

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is made for the people who know nothing about iPad who think that glass needs more protection than the metal.

I dont even find that three-fold design very appealing.

I've heard of people opening the smart cover then sticking it to their fridge via magnets turning the iPad into a recipe display.

Sounds quite useful for some of the stuff I've been known to do.

Ayrshire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love the idea of sticking to the fridge, BUT not sure I would trust the smart cover to hold my iPad securely.

Do many of you Folks use it ad a fridge magnet?
I have seen some strong fridge magnets designed for holding the iPad but they are expensive.

Most reactions

Latest posts