What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Shipping by the end of February 2011?

tai_one

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipad is only 6 months old!!! I think I will hold off until the Ipad 3 comes out.

My iPad is only one week old -- an early Christmas and birthday present. I will definitely be waiting for the iPad 3. :)

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too just got my iPad (Oct), so I probably will not be upgrading any time soon. At least not unless its a fully functional PC in an iPad shell (less the obvious parts we no longer need anyway (like DVD ROM drives, etc.) I can't wait for that to happen! and you know we have the tech to build such a device right now!)

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious what is a "a fully functional PC" that you want are you talking hardware or software
Hi col, well one thing that I feel is needed, and please keep in mind that my iPad is only two months old, so I still very much consider myself to be a novice at using it, so this could be a matter of ignorance, but a USB port for getting files on and off of it would be very helpful. My iPad is my personal device, so my process for using it comes from that mindset. In using it as a business tool, which I have only played with a couple of times, the file transfer process is very cumbersome.

A USB could also help in allowing the user to connect their AirCard to it for internet access. I already have a service through verizon and didn't feel I wanted to pay for another service for the occassional times when a WiFi was not handy. So why should hardware restrict me from being able to slap my AirCard in at the airport and download the latest NY Times?

Just two thoughts off the top. If you know of something that I may not be doing in the best way, please share. Thanks, Ken

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, as far as software goes, with my use of Documents to Go, and everything else I have, I don't have any issues there at all.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe no external buttons, maybe a power button, to make way for some thinness! Seem like alpt of android tablets cow
D be going buttonless. That's why I think the replaced the screen lock button with mute. And added volume control to the multitasking bar on the iPhone!

Dream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im going to sell my iPad and get the new one, why not?!

Im hoping for:

retina display
more memory
slightly faster cpu, or overclock
new version of ios
usb
front facing camera

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious what is a "a fully functional PC" that you want are you talking hardware or software
Hi col, well one thing that I feel is needed, and please keep in mind that my iPad is only two months old, so I still very much consider myself to be a novice at using it, so this could be a matter of ignorance, but a USB port for getting files on and off of it would be very helpful. My iPad is my personal device, so my process for using it comes from that mindset. In using it as a business tool, which I have only played with a couple of times, the file transfer process is very cumbersome.

A USB could also help in allowing the user to connect their AirCard to it for internet access. I already have a service through verizon and didn't feel I wanted to pay for another service for the occassional times when a WiFi was not handy. So why should hardware restrict me from being able to slap my AirCard in at the airport and download the latest NY Times?

Just two thoughts off the top. If you know of something that I may not be doing in the best way, please share. Thanks, Ken

I now understand your question. In respect to USB it is possible that you may find it on the next version because of Europe requirements on all portable devices. In saying that i suspect it may be limited but cannot confirm.

Adding an air card is not on the horizon however a mobile wifi device is actually a better solution vodaphone offers one and also virgin and I understand others in USA have that technology. These devices allow up to 5 wifi devices to connect it is a rechargeable device that is like a thumb drive.

That are available on prepay and contract..

I guess what I am going to say is Apple is moving away from add on devices etc like hard drives cd/DVD and moving rapidly to cloud services plus more use with wifi such as new speakers etc. One can use cameras and sd cards with the adapter plus keyboards using Bluetooth. Bluetooth is limited to headphones, speakers and devices that support audio such as Parrot in card systems.
I think personally that the next major upgrade of the iPad we will see more technology on board and a major move in that area by Apple. Others will also follow a similar path. It is assumed one is not jail broken as t.hat is your alternative. Solid state storage devices is the way to go as they are more reliable. Cd,DVD external hard drives etc are prone to fail or become corrupt.

Hope that helps with your question.

Last edited:

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think iPad 2 will be announced in feb/march, doesn't seem logical for apple to announce iPad in January

rhk111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rhk111.byethost14.com
iPad 2 features a thinner bezel, flat back, and chunky wide-range speaker? -- Engadget

iPad 2 features a thinner bezel, flat back, and chunky wide-range speaker?

By Thomas Ricker posted Dec 23rd 2010 3:04AM

URL removed by moderator.

Nothing says truthiness quite like anonymous Chinese sources telling next generation iPad secrets to a Japanese blog lacking any notable successes on the professional rumor mongering circuit. Nevertheless, the Apple rumor sites have jumped all over the story like a Bay Area cop on prototype thief. So here's the dirt, which certainly seems plausible in its specificity: a 3-mm reduction in bezel width, same 9.7-inch display size, and flattening of the back allowing it to rest wobble-free on a desktop. Mac Otakara also explains that there's a "wide-range speaker" covered with "metal mesh" (that's their render above) occupying the cut-out we saw at the bottom of those supposed next-generation iPad cases. The overall unit is said to measure 239 x 186 mm compared to the current iPad's 242.8 x 189.7 mm footprint. Suspiciously, the site was unable to reliably confirm the existence of front of rear facing cameras but does claim that the new iPads will begin shipping from factories in January -- timing that aligns nicely with previous rumors. After the break you'll find another purported iPad 2 case with yet another render of the speaker grill design.

super-fit-and-durable-silicon-case-for-ipad-2-case-new-arival-sales-buy-super-fit-and-durable-silicon-case-for-ipad-2-case-new-arival-products-from-alibaba.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts