What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 screen frozen !!

girv44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI, CAN U HELP ME MY DAUGHTERS IPAD 2 SCREEN TOTALLY FROZEN SO WHEN U TRY TO SWIP THE SCREEN IT DOES NOTHING AND CANT SWIP TO SHUT DOWN IPAD ETC thanks all

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try resetting the iPads by holding down the home button and power button together until the apple logo appears.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HI, CAN U HELP ME MY DAUGHTERS IPAD 2 SCREEN TOTALLY FROZEN SO WHEN U TRY TO SWIP THE SCREEN IT DOES NOTHING AND CANT SWIP TO SHUT DOWN IPAD ETC thanks all

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

HardMetalAlchemy's advice should fix the issue you are having with your iPad. But it may take 20 to 30 seconds before the Apple logo does appear, so be patient.

Please do not post twice on your issue as it divides the information given and makes it confusing for members to follow. It is also against our Forum Rules, your other post has now been deleted.

TrueBeauty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hold down the lock screen button and the home button at the same time for about 10 to 15 secs. This will reboot the iPad! Hope it works

Glm091258

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have same problem but my home button is broke so I use the virtual one. When I hold down power button I can't see the power off slide and I can't do a hard restart because my virtual home key is stuck too.

LHIsaacs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad2 is frozen with the Apple logo showing. Home and Power just bring it back, but after that I can't get it do anything. I've tried letting the battery run all the way down...no luck.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, it doesn't seem to. It does recognize my Iphone when I plug it in.

Hi LHIsaacs - I'm assuming that when you are doing the 'Reset', i.e. holding both the HOME and the ON/OFF buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, the iPad fails to reboot - correct? Please provide some further information: 1) What iOS is installed; 2) What type of computer are you using (PC or Apple); 3) Is iTunes up to date; and 4) Do you have a recent backup of the iDevice either on the computer and/or in the cloud? Also, have you sought advice from Apple, e.g. over the phone or at a local store?

The 'last ditch' maneuver to try is DFU mode - Device Firmware Update - there is a dedicated thread in this forum HERE; some googling will also provide a bunch of hits, such as this LINK - I've never needed to use this mode, so you're on your own unless others w/ some DFU experience 'chime in' w/ advice.

Finally, are you sure the battery is charging? If not, you probably need to take the device into a local Apple store or an authorized Apple repair service for some diagnostics or, of course, buy a new iPad. Good luck and let us know your results. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your iPad does require repair, the cost will be more than the current value of your iPad. I second Dave's recommendation to take the opportunity to upgrade.

Last edited:

LHIsaacs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi LHIsaacs - I'm assuming that when you are doing the 'Reset', i.e. holding both the HOME and the ON/OFF buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, the iPad fails to reboot - correct? Please provide some further information: 1) What iOS is installed; 2) What type of computer are you using (PC or Apple); 3) Is iTunes up to date; and 4) Do you have a recent backup of the iDevice either on the computer and/or in the cloud? Also, have you sought advice from Apple, e.g. over the phone or at a local store?

The 'last ditch' maneuver to try is DFU mode - Device Firmware Update - there is a dedicated thread in this forum HERE; some googling will also provide a bunch of hits, such as this LINK - I've never needed to use this mode, so you're on your own unless others w/ some DFU experience 'chime in' w/ advice.

Finally, are you sure the battery is charging? If not, you probably need to take the device into a local Apple store or an authorized Apple repair service for some diagnostics or, of course, buy a new iPad. Good luck and let us know your results. Dave :)

LHIsaacs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1.I'm not sure what IOS...installed Windows 10 on laptop PC about a month ago.
2.Using a PC.
3. Itunes is up to date, I believe.
4. Haven't been to an Apple store yet.

I'm not sure whether it's charging properly, can't really tell with the blank screen. I did switch charging cable for a new one.

Is there any trade in value if the repair cost is prohibitive?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the iPad can't be made functional the trade in value would be next to nothing. Salvage for parts would be the only practical use.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1.I'm not sure what IOS...installed Windows 10 on laptop PC about a month ago.
2.Using a PC.
3. Itunes is up to date, I believe.
4. Haven't been to an Apple store yet.

I'm not sure whether it's charging properly, can't really tell with the blank screen. I did switch charging cable for a new one.

Is there any trade in value if the repair cost is prohibitive?

Thanks for the additional information - I'd have to agree w/ Scifan.., your non-functioning iPad 2 may be of interest to someone for 'parts' or a donation, likely bringing you little return, if anything. I sold my iPad 2 on Glyde in December 2014 and received about $80, but the device was working normally and ready to 'setup' by the buyer - I suspect that w/ a broken one, they would offer donation sites - follow the link, if interested.

You could still get a diagnostic assessment but even a battery replacement which would likely be the simplest solution is probably not worth the effort - consider a newer working device, whether new or used, depending on your budget. Dave :)

LHIsaacs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information - I'd have to agree w/ Scifan.., your non-functioning iPad 2 may be of interest to someone for 'parts' or a donation, likely bringing you little return, if anything. I sold my iPad 2 on Glyde in December 2014 and received about $80, but the device was working normally and ready to 'setup' by the buyer - I suspect that w/ a broken one, they would offer donation sites - follow the link, if interested.

You could still get a diagnostic assessment but even a battery replacement which would likely be the simplest solution is probably not worth the effort - consider a newer working device, whether new or used, depending on your budget. Dave :)

Thanks, I'm about convinced that I should give up on this one. (Now I have to convince my husband)

Most reactions

Latest posts