What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 Saffari Checkerboard issues.

OlDeST

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first iOS device (Ipad 2). I am absolutely loving it so far. Life long Android guy who owns an EVO 4G. Had the Xoom but the lack of apps and my being impatient is what made me return it. Anyway, I was just curious after reading a few articles on the Safari Checkerboard issues that the first Ipad had. seems like this should be a non-issue with the Ipad 2 but I am experiencing it when looking at long scrolling pages and switching between pages in Safari. All when I am scrolling. I tryed this on CNN's site to be specific. Is anyone else experiencing this? I am trying to determine if this is an issue with the memory on my Ipad 2 or just normal. i did a fresh re-start of the Ipad and also closed many programs running in the background.
Anyone care to shed some light?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know on the iPad1, which is the only iOS device I own, that when the page fully loads and you scroll down with a quick swipe, like 3/4 of the page is checkerboard for a second or two before it pops up. Its very annoying. Does this more in alternative browsers for me than Safari, but certainly an issue in safari as well. Gets worse the more tabs you have opened.

To the op, does the Ipad reload webpages when you hit the back button? How about if you have multiple tabs open and you switch inbetween them, do they have to reload? The iPad does this because it only has 256mb ram and its semi infuriating.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know on the iPad1, which is the only iOS device I own, that when the page fully loads and you scroll down with a quick swipe, like 3/4 of the page is checkerboard for a second or two before it pops up. Its very annoying. Does this more in alternative browsers for me than Safari, but certainly an issue in safari as well. Gets worse the more tabs you have opened.

To the op, does the Ipad reload webpages when you hit the back button? How about if you have multiple tabs open and you switch inbetween them, do they have to reload? The iPad does this because it only has 256mb ram and its semi infuriating.

As I have been digging to learn more about iPAD, one of the sites showed this checker boarding as you described and attributed it to memory. The iPAD2 is faster, better rendering and twice the memory, it supposedly solved the checkerboarding issue. Are we talking iPAD1 checkerboarding, or iPAD2?

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As I have been digging to learn more about iPAD, one of the sites showed this checker boarding as you described and attributed it to memory .... all with iPAD1.

The iPAD2 is faster, better rendering and twice the memory, and iOS4.3 which is also more efficient in memory usage. All this supposedly solved the checkerboarding issue.

Dream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just playing with the iPad 2 at Best Buy and the issue is most definitely still there. So ANNOYING!

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is there still, but not nearly as bad.

Far from a deal breaker. And it generally only happens with very full webpages that would be slow to load on most devices.

On the first iPad, it would checkerboard EVERYWHERE.

MikeVB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've run into that just a few handful of times and that's the extent of it. I just chalked it up to the webpage being heavy of content and slow-loading. It went away in a few moments. I mean "modern" computers weren't even invented until say, the late '40's, so all of this stuff is still very much in it's infancy all things considered.

Otherwise to get that webpage in front of you.. uh, it's going to outer-space fergawdsakes -- give it a few seconds!!! ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk[/ame]

Raahee214

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad 2 a few days ago and absolutely adore it. BUT I also am suffering from the check board patterns. Honestly it doesnt happen to me much and I keep sites I visit on a daily basis open so it's just always loaded. I might be wrong but maybe it cancbe fixed via software. That's what I'm hoping for with iOS 5

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Much ado about nothing methinks.........

Still awaiting instant page display on win7 & OSX

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yip, on a desktop, quite often if you try to quickly scroll to the bottom of a page that us still loading, you will see the lines of the page stretched all the way down the screen until the content is downloaded and rendered. The checkerboard effect is just how IOS deals with this delay.
It is less noticeable on the iPad 2 because content retention is better due to extra RAM and rendering is quicker due to the extra cpu power but if you are waiting for content to download or have filled RAM and switching between tabs then you will encounter this issue. It is rarely a rendering issue on the iPad 2 but even that is still possible if you have a long page with a lot of varying content on it.

Most reactions

Latest posts