What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2, reinstalled from itunes, still no sound.

Patonthecoast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new here. After listening to a podcast, I fell asleep and awoke to no sound on my iPad. I checked all my settings, reset as new, still no sound. Then a service assistant at Mac instructed me to connect my iPad to a computer and use iTunes to reinstall the programs as a new iPad. I did this, and still no sound, except I do occasionally get a sound as an email notification. What should I do next? I wanted to check with the forum before taking the iPad to a store.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Were you using ear buds (headphone) at the time? Whenever using these, you first need to turn off whatever you were listening to before disconnecting them.

Also, you haven't inadvertently pushed the switch which can be found just above your volume control? This switch if set for sound will mute your iPad when switched.

Also do the four finger swipe up or double press your home button to access your multi task bar, swipe to the right and you will find a volume control here also.

Let us know of any of these make any difference.

OP
P

Patonthecoast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. The mute is off, the button has been set to lock. My alarm works, but no music, videos, etc. I have never used headphones, but tomorrow I will see if there is sound with them.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. The mute is off, the button has been set to lock. My alarm works, but no music, videos, etc. I have never used headphones, but tomorrow I will see if there is sound with them.

If you never used headphones, that can't be the reason why your iPad has sound-problems.
Leelai's advice was meant to solve your issue in case you used them before.

This wasn't suggested before: go to Settings - Music and look if there's a volume limit set.
You could also try this: go to Settings - General - Physical & Motor - tap Assistive Touch and turn it on. That done, you'll see a button in one of the edges of your screen. Tap it,

image-617990959.jpg

This will appear. Tap "Device" to see this

image-1370404896.jpg

Try to change the volume here.

Last edited:
OP
P

Patonthecoast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, J.A. I understood Leila's instructions, but elsewhere I had been asked if I could get sound through my headphones, and I was offering that up as part of the process of elimination.

I tried your suggestions with no success. Do you know what I can expect if I take my iPad to a Mac store? I feel like a woman walking into a new auto repair shop.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, J.A. I understood Leila's instructions, but elsewhere I had been asked if I could get sound through my headphones, and I was offering that up as part of the process of elimination.

I tried your suggestions with no success. Do you know what I can expect if I take my iPad to a Mac store? I feel like a woman walking into a new auto repair shop.

Sorry, I don't have experience with that, and I don't want to tell you something wrong. You'll certainly get the right answer from the experts of this forum who know better than me.

Good luck for your visit to the Apple Store!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Where you say 'the button has been set to lock' .....is this a sound lock or the rotational lock? If you have changed the feature of this switch recently, depending on how you have done it, it sometimes will mute your iPad also.

Go into your settings and have a look at how you have set this switch. Settings - General - Use Side Switch to. It will be either Lock Rotation or Mute. If its on Lock Rotation, change it to Mute and then unlock the side switch and see if it has restored your sound. If you have changed this recently and this is the culprit then you need to try the different combinations with this setting to get your sound working again. I hope this helps!

You will need to make an appointment with the Genius Bar if you do choose this path. Good idea to do a complete backup of your iPad before going in also. They do have great staff in Apple stores, so no need to worry and no need for receipts as they can just look up anything they need to know.

OP
P

Patonthecoast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, Leelai. I tried that, and this time the volume level appeared on the screen, but still no sound. I will take it in for an evaluation.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, Leelai. I tried that, and this time the volume level appeared on the screen, but still no sound. I will take it in for an evaluation.

If the volume control has now appeared, I would be playing around with these settings before venturing to Apple. You may have muted the sound and then changed the setting to rotation lock. We have seen this reported many times in the past and it was just a matter of changing the settings to fix it.

parametric

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try a reset on the iPad. Hold the power button down until the Apple logo appears. This is a soft Reset - will not change or delete anything.

Most reactions

Latest posts