What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 or Xoom? - Honest Question

4estGump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been following the IPad 2 Forum in hopes of getting my Ipad 2 soon and have recently joined due to it being a great forum with not as much hostility like, say, MacRumors. I ordered online (4-5 weeks) and have gone to some early morning wait lines. I have an IPhone 4 and I knew the IPad 2 was right for me. I even played with a Xoom demo at Best Buy and found it heavy and not as responsive. It also seemed dark for the resolution it was touting.

However, I decided to play with another demo at a different Best Buy and found it to be better: more responsive and not as heavy as the previously demoed unit was, even though it still looked darker.

I tend to sway more towards Apple (don't care for the Android on phones) but now it got me wondering on my choice. I'm still planning on getting up early to try a few stores tomorrow for the IPad 2, but with the new WiFi Xoom coming out soon, what are the reasons you went with the IPad 2?

Was it brand name? Previous use? Hate Android? Faster responsiveness? I'm just curious in hopes of answering my constant mind questions before I make a rash mistake without questioning other avenues out there. Thanks.

OP

4estGump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Actually read this before joining, which makes it an excellent reason to sway toward Apple. Thanks!

Reaction score
I am an Android user who prefers it over ios BUT chose my ipad over Android tablets because the ipad tablet wreaks quality. I got an ipad 1.
I say it on Android forums and I'll say it here , both systems have theirs +/-s .

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sway towards apple over the Xoom because of the professional reviews. They all point to the fact that the Xoom is the best android tablet out there, but that the overall end product needs polishing.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad2....xoom no where near Ipad2 status yet! Apps, functionality, ease of use, overall good feel...ipad1 or 2 wins hands down ;-)

DJP1984

iPF Noob
Reaction score
erm.. if you prefer flash thing on net, so andriod better choice...

i not care about flash really, i sure apple will u-turn on flash in future.... HMTL 5 not yet official, they still in plan if flash actually out with hmtl so apple will force u-turn to flash... or other possible about flash u-turn if andriod start win over ipad due flash this will force apple u-turn on flash

2 option apple will u-turn..

for me ipad will alway my first choice. because there plenty apps, andriod will have catch up apps it will take very long time..

correction me if i was wrong... thanks in advances

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DJP1984 said:
erm.. if you prefer flash thing on net, so andriod better choice...

i not care about flash really, i sure apple will u-turn on flash in future.... HMTL 5 not yet official, they still in plan if flash actually out with hmtl so apple will force u-turn to flash... or other possible about flash u-turn if andriod start win over ipad due flash this will force apple u-turn on flash

2 option apple will u-turn..

for me ipad will alway my first choice. because there plenty apps, andriod will have catch up apps it will take very long time..

correction me if i was wrong... thanks in advances

Erm.....html5 is not just official, it's out and about and in the wild on the Internet. Apple are very unlikely to support Flash......very, very unlikely.

The Archangel

Nutsnbolts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too bad about your experience with the xoom, it was probably just the settings they had as a demo unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Too bad about your experience with the xoom, it was probably just the settings they had as a demo unit. ......(the rest deleted)

YIKES!!! Your first post to this forum is to be pejorative? You won't last long on this forum. In fact, I hope you are still here Nutsnbolts so you can remove your offending note or edit. Play nicely or go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Erm.....html5 is not just official, it's out and about and in the wild on the Internet. Apple are very unlikely to support Flash......very, very unlikely.

The Archangel

HTML5 is already used, as you pointed out. However, the specifications are not yet final. As of now HTML5 is more of a rough draft with many holes still to close, for example specifying which video format to use.

It is estimated, that the W3C will finish HTML5 specifications and set it as a standard by 2014.
HTML5 standard by 2014

So it clearly isn't official, yet.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too bad about your experience with the xoom, it was probably just the settings they had as a demo unit. ......(the rest deleted)

YIKES!!! Your first post to this forum is to be pejorative? You won't last long on this forum. In fact, I hope you are still here Nutsnbolts so you can remove your offending note or edit. Play nicely or go somewhere else.

Bless your heart, Matt. Thank YOU.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, Flash on Xoom is still a beta version and does not work well yet. Usually at a lower resolution. Second, there are some sites which video is supported by iOS but not Android, so you might gain some sites, but not get others. My personal feeling is that Flash is dying and nothing Adobe does is going to change that. They may eventually merge it with HTML5 so they can save face, but it is still going away. And just because something is not official, really means little today. At this stage, all that is left is the minor details. Do not forget, that you could get 802.11n wifi servers for a long time before it was official. And all Apple did when it became official was to send out a update to activate it. Amost everyone was using 802.11n by that time.

Most reactions

Latest posts