What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 or Sony Vaio?

OP
FromThailand

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well another thing I must say is that the ipad 2 is a bit overpriced at the moment here. The reason being that it hasn't been "officially" released here. There are plenty of iPad 2 but they are on the "gray market" meaning that they have been bought somewhere else and are sold over price because of that.

OP
FromThailand

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madcapjim said:
I own a Sony Vaio Z series and the iPad 2. As others have said, the iPad isn't a computer, so it comes down to what you need. I bought the Vaio last October and it's hands down the fastest laptop I've ever played with.
I love the iPad, but no way would I trade it for my Vaio. No insult to the iPad, but for me the iPad is just a new toy. Yes it's great and I enjoy having it, but I could easily live without it, but glad I'm not in a position where I have to choose.:)

I agree with you. If I have to choose, right now, I will choose the Sony Vaio. By the way, if you have a laptop with over 200 GB worth of data, which iPad are you going to transfer that too? Suppose you back the data up to an external drive, how do you get your data back to the iPad?

Thanks for the post. I actually have over 2 TB of data on external drives. No ipad can store that and no USB either?

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FromThailand said:
Well another thing I must say is that the ipad 2 is a bit overpriced at the moment here. The reason being that it hasn't been "officially" released here. There are plenty of iPad 2 but they are on the "gray market" meaning that they have been bought somewhere else and are sold over price because of that.

This is a good reason for you to go for your Sony Vaio and dump the iPad 2 for now. You may go for a Sony that isn't too expensive and keep your savings for ipad3 release later in the year.

OP
FromThailand

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FromThailand said:

This is a good reason for you to go for your Sony Vaio and dump the iPad 2 for now. You may go for a Sony that isn't too expensive and keep your savings for ipad3 release later in the year.

Sounds like the right thing to do for me at the moment. Thanks akintomide appreciate that you took the time to reply :)

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(besides the minds of bloggers trying to generate page views)

I believe that's the root of the issue. If their blog was meant to have ramped page views, it would. Maybe if they talked about something more interesting and time-deserving than the dark side of fried chicken, people would fee the need to click and read daily. And God forbid the freeipad "bonus offers"

btw: just saw a ***bay auction for an iPad 3 otterbox, "NOT FOR IPAD 2"

rchatburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get the cheapest ipad2 and a thinkpad edge you then will have the benefit of an ipad and the power of a laptop if you need it., you will find that you will use the laptop more than you think.

I thought I'd use the ipad for work but It can't do what I want as easy as I want and I use it for fun and it does a great job at that.

Sent from my HTC Desire

OP
FromThailand

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice rchatburn. That is exactly what I was thinking of doing :)

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipad is a supplement to my Mac and Laptop. The Laptop is an 18", so not really something to use on your lap for an extended period of time. The Ipad is also useful for the mobility. With the 3G function you are always and everywhere online. It is definately not a laptop and shall not be seen as a replacement.

If you need to replace your old laptop or computer then replace it with exactly that. See the Ipad as something extra. If you believe that an Ipad is useful for you as a teacher then why not get the Ipad first generation. They are also in Thailand very cheap. You can then try it out and in the future can always decide on getting an Ipad 2, 3 or 4.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
FromThailand

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually saw an ipad 1 at MBK today 16gb wi-fi for 11,900 baht ($399,00 US) with 3G would be more of course and as I said earlier that's what I think I will do. Buy a good laptop and go for a cheap iPad. And when you think about it the ipad 2 only has 2 very bad cameras and is a bit thinner and the new processor is not much faster than the one on the iPad 1 according to browser race videos that I saw on you tube. So that may be a good compromise for me. Thanks JJK

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you get an iPad 1 now as a portal consumption device (portable reference library) now, just skip the iPad 2. In one year at the least the iPad 3 will be the hot item and whatever improvements are made. The cameras really are shit, I've been trying to get it to barcode scan but it doesn't work so well. Perhaps Apple will improve that in the iPad 3.

My iPad 2 plays mobile half to my at home MacPro tower. I ditched laptops 3 years ago after college and was beginning to miss portalbity. Enter the iPad with VNC and other remote desktop style apps, I can get almost all the power of my tower from anywhere I trust the WiFi network.

It's just a personal view, but it seems to me desktops go better with iPads then laptops for the most part.

KarlaMonique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's like going to McDonalds:
You say, "I want hot fries."
They give you hot fries, but as soon as you get them another batch is already dropped. However, the guy behind you says, "I want hot fries," and he is given hot fries. You can't get mad because he got hot fries. You got the hottest fries that they had at the moment. Live for the moment not for allegations.

iPad 2 is now. If you have a computer to found the iPad 2 with, buy the iPad 2. As mentioned, if you need the computer, buy the vaio. I have never had personal experience with them and I hear good and bad reviews, but you have to get what is most helpful and economic for you.

Screw sony!

iPad 2 is the hottest fries.

EXCELLENT McDonalds analogy! I love it!

Sent from my ADR6300 using iPad Forums

OP
FromThailand

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I'dlike to get the "hottest fries of McDonalds" like the iPad 2, but I will buy the iPad 1 because it's a question of $$$. I may not have the "hottest" fries at McDonalds, but they are strill a bit hot from the first batch :)

Most reactions

Latest posts