What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 or Sony Vaio?

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!
I live in Bangkok, Thailand and the new iPad 2 64GB Wi-Fi+3G is $1,120 US here. For the same price I can get the new Sony Vaio Series C with Sandy Bridge and don't know what to do???
Any opinion would be appreciated.
Thank You.

Chicago

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FromThailand said:
Hi!
I live in Bangkok, Thailand and the new iPad 2 64GB Wi-Fi+3G is $1,120 US here. For the same price I can get the new Sony Vaio Series C with Sandy Bridge and don't know what to do???
Thank You.

I had a Vaio, it lasted about three months. The iPad is more durable, portable.

OP
FromThailand

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's true that the iPad is more portable and more fun, but I'm a bit worried that in 6 months or so from now, the iPad 3 will come out and I'll have to try to trade my iPad 2 to get the new iPad 3, which is not the case with a laptop cause it still will be a good machine!

mackerelthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The questions is whether you are looking for a new computer, or whether you already have a Mac/PC that you are satisfied with and looking for something extra...

If you are looking for this to be your main computer, I would get the VAIO. Not that it isn't possible to use the iPad as one's sole computing device, but in the end, it is not as powerful or serious a machine...it's not meant to replace your computer (exemplified simply by the fact that you currently need a computer to set your iPad up)

Just my thoughts

OP
FromThailand

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing that attracts me a lot with the iPad though is that since I'm a teacher, I've noticed that there are a lot of education apps at the apple store and many of them are free! I wonder if we can use multi-tasking with the iPad?

OP
FromThailand

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The questions is whether you are looking for a new computer, or whether you already have a Mac/PC that you are satisfied with and looking for something extra...

If you are looking for this to be your main computer, I would get the VAIO. Not that it isn't possible to use the iPad as one's sole computing device, but in the end, it is not as powerful or serious a machine...it's not meant to replace your computer (exemplified simply by the fact that you currently need a computer to set your iPad up)

Just my thoughts

Thanks for the reply. I actually have a desktop (that I'm typing on right now) and I am looking for a replacement for my old acer that is dying. I use the acer at school for surfing the net in my free time and for doing some work on office but there are other computers that I can use over there if there is case of "emergency". I can also prepare my stuff at home if it's not a rush. So...?

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why?

It's true that the iPad is more portable and more fun, but I'm a bit worried that in 6 months or so from now, the iPad 3 will come out and I'll have to try to trade my iPad 2 to get the new iPad 3, which is not the case with a laptop cause it still will be a good machine!

Why are people so fixated on this ALLEGED iPad 3. It is sure to be a year before it comes out, especially with alleged (but more founded) days in iOS 5 and iPhone 5.

It's like going to McDonalds:
You say, "I want hot fries."
They give you hot fries, but as soon as you get them another batch is already dropped. However, the guy behind you says, "I want hot fries," and he is given hot fries. You can't get mad because he got hot fries. You got the hottest fries that they had at the moment. Live for the moment not for allegations.

iPad 2 is now. If you have a computer to found the iPad 2 with, buy the iPad 2. As mentioned, if you need the computer, buy the vaio. I have never had personal experience with them and I hear good and bad reviews, but you have to get what is most helpful and economic for you.

Screw sony!

iPad 2 is the hottest fries.

OP
FromThailand

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Why are people so fixated on this ALLEGED iPad 3. It is sure to be a year before it comes out, especially with alleged (but more founded) days in iOS 5 and iPhone 5.

It's like going to McDonalds:
You say, "I want hot fries."
They give you hot fries, but as soon as you get them another batch is already dropped. However, the guy behind you says, "I want hot fries," and he is given hot fries. You can't get mad because he got hot fries. You got the hottest fries that they had at the moment. Live for the moment not for allegations.

iPad 2 is now. If you have a computer to found the iPad 2 with, buy the iPad 2. As mentioned, if you need the computer, buy the vaio. I have never had personal experience with them and I hear good and bad reviews, but you have to get what is most helpful and economic for you.

Screw sony!

iPad 2 is the hottest fries.

You're probably right. Live now, buy the iPad2 and enjoy it. Thanks for the advice it helps me in my decision :)

mackerelthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just my thoughts

Thanks for the reply. I actually have a desktop (that I'm typing on right now) and I am looking for a replacement for my old acer that is dying. I use the acer at school for surfing the net in my free time and for doing some work on office but there are other computers that I can use over there if there is case of "emergency". I can also prepare my stuff at home if it's not a rush. So...?
(EDIT: This sounds like an afterthought now, I was writing while the OP decided) If that's the case, I think the iPad might be the best choice because of portability and battery life...it is beyond thin and light, and no laptop can compete with 10hrs! As HKWrite12 said, you also get to experience the coolest and newest tech on the market, and it's a joy to use...if you don't need the sony, why bother?

Also (this is slightly off topic?)

Agreed! The rumor mills are out of control... and no articles seem to have any factual basis...it's all "An unnamed apple employee" and "An Apple parts supplier"...I really wonder where the stuff comes from (besides the minds of bloggers trying to generate page views)

Last edited:

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!
Thank You.

I own a Sony Vaio Z series and the iPad 2. As others have said, the iPad isn't a computer, so it comes down to what you need. I bought the Vaio last October and it's hands down the fastest laptop I've ever played with.
I love the iPad, but no way would I trade it for my Vaio. No insult to the iPad, but for me the iPad is just a new toy. Yes it's great and I enjoy having it, but I could easily live without it, but glad I'm not in a position where I have to choose.:)

OP
FromThailand

FromThailand

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just my thoughts

(EDIT: This sounds like an afterthought now, I was writing while the OP decided) If that's the case, I think the iPad might be the best choice because of portability and battery life...it is beyond thin and light, and no laptop can compete with 10hrs! As HKWrite12 said, you also get to experience the coolest and newest tech on the market, and it's a joy to use...if you don't need the sony, why bother?

Also (this is slightly off topic?)

Agreed! The rumor mills are out of control... and no articles seem to have any factual basis...it's all "An unnamed apple employee" and "An Apple parts supplier"...I really wonder where the stuff comes from (besides the minds of bloggers trying to generate page views)

Thanks again! I like your reply. I will follow your suggestion and buy an ipad 2. I'm sorry if it's "Off Topic" I'm new here and didn't know where to post?

mackerelthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@FromThailand: No, sorry, I didn't mean your post! I meant my response to what HKWrite was saying about the "alleged iPad 3". Sorry for the confusion, but you are asking about the iPad 2, and this is the iPad 2 part, so I'm pretty sure you posted in the right place! :):eek:

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Sony Vaio is about three years old and it is still working fine. My iPad is just about 4 months and it is working fine too. The iPad is a pc tablet. It is very mobile and light. I do not consider my iPad as a replacement for the Sony Vaio. It is actually working side by side with it. It is therefore my opinion that there are many things a laptop can do that the present iPad cannot. Many of those who bare rushing to buy the iPad 2 are already using one laptop or the other.

I suggest you get the Sony Vaio.

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madcapjim said:
I own a Sony Vaio Z series and the iPad 2. As others have said, the iPad isn't a computer, so it comes down to what you need. I bought the Vaio last October and it's hands down the fastest laptop I've ever played with.
I love the iPad, but no way would I trade it for my Vaio. No insult to the iPad, but for me the iPad is just a new toy. Yes it's great and I enjoy having it, but I could easily live without it, but glad I'm not in a position where I have to choose.:)

I agree with you. If I have to choose, right now, I will choose the Sony Vaio. By the way, if you have a laptop with over 200 GB worth of data, which iPad are you going to transfer that too? Suppose you back the data up to an external drive, how do you get your data back to the iPad?

Most reactions

Latest posts