iPad 2 or Macbook Pro??

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by NyCrAzY, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Tinman

Tinman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Well I have an iPad 1 and an iPad 2. I have a Windows laptop that sits nearly unused due to iPad. Also have a Windows desktop and a Mac mini for home use.

But the iPad 2, while a definite bump up from the iPad 1, didn't wow me as much. Aside from facetime there isn't much that it does more than my iPad 1... and I never really complained about speed on my iPad 1.

So I went to the Apple store yesterday thinking I would get a Macbook Pro. I too was--probably am--going to sell my iPad 2 on CL, if possible (or just return it to Wal-mart for full refund).

Instead I walked out of the Apple store with the cheapest model Macbook Air, at $999. It's not really all that more than an iPad and I think it will be perfect for what I want from a laptop... and also a lot of what I had been using my iPad for. I won't even be putting much on it so am not worried about the 64 GB SSD.

To me the Air fits nicely between an iPad and MacBook Pro. Don't let its specs fool you, it feels very fast and does not seem to struggle with only 2GB RAM.

That said it will probably not replace my iPad 1. As light as the Air is it is still a clamshell device with a physical keyboard. Ergo not quite as easy to use, say, while on the couch or lying in bed before going to sleep.

Michael

2. cheyenne809

cheyenne809
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Apple crazy

I have a HP desk top & 23" monitor. That's the only thing I had & thought I was happy. Then I won a MacBook pro 13" at a penny auction. It seemed so small I was going to give it to my grandson. But I got interested in what Apple was all about.And Snow Leopard & Safari. I became so involved that I decided to keep the Mac. But now I want a 17" and won it & an iPad 2 64 on another penny auction. So I'm going to keep them all until I see which ones are collecting dust. I still have a lot to learn about Apple, etc., hence ,the forum. I would suggest to you, if you plan on taking your iPad with you everywhere, then settle for that. If you use it mainly at home, try the Mac Pro. They are really nice.

3. TSL88

TSL88
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPad 2, iMac, and a MacBook Pro and I was thinking bout selling my MacBook Pro but then I realized I use all three for their own special reasons. It jus depends on what u would use it for.

4. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    MacPad should be out soon. Best of both worlds.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Examine what it is you do/want to do with a computer/hand-held device. If you can do everything that you need to do with the iPad then you're set. If there's something you need to do that the iPad won't do, then you need to look at a computer of some sort.

I have a MacBook Pro 17" that I use for photo editing. Ain't no way an iPad is ever going to handle 1+Gb layered panorama picture files, nor would I expect it to.

On the other hand, the iPad is much easier to use for web surfing/email while playing couch lizard.

My intent is to take the iPad on trips to use it to view my pics (looking for possible re-shoot scenarios) and leave the heavy hauling to the MacBook when I get home.

YMMV :)

6. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Like most above posters have said, get what fits your needs. I purchased a new Macbook Pro 13" about five weeks ago and I think I have turned on my iPad maybe a dozen times since. I haven't charged my iPad in more than a week and it still has 67% battery left. I still think the iPad is neat, but I guess what I really wanted was a portable computer, and the 13" Macbook fits that need and more. As a side benefit, it will also serve nicely as a portable space heater in the winter :)

7. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The answer depends on who you are...meaning what you do against what your needs are. I don't see how such a question can be intelligent addressed with zero knowledge about the user (maybe you all know this poster, but I don't).

For me, while I enjoy the heck out of my iPad 2, I still need both a laptop and a desktop. They would both come first over the iPad, but as long as I don't have to make that choice...I'm keeping all of them.

8. SaberOne

SaberOne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I still have the original MBP but it’s totally worthless these days’. Oh, I still have a need for my super MacPro tower as I’ve been scanning historical documents for years. Notwithstanding, this will be my last computer, as products like the iPad and the cloud will make them obsolete. I figure my 2009 MacPro will get me through the transition, and thereafter its an iPad-X and Apple TV.

Back in the here and now, I suppose the MacAir11 would provide the most bang for the buck.

#18 SaberOne, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011