What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 or Macbook Pro??

NyCrAzY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't make up my mind!! I have the iPad 2 right now, but will it be worth it on the long run?? Thanks.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you aldread have a Mac or PC, say keep the iPad. My Mac and PC both sit idle since I got my iPad. They are use mostly as a hard drive that happens to be able to run iTunes.

But you need an iTunes machine and for those rare cases when an iPad isn't capable enough.

OP
N

NyCrAzY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm debating whether I should keep the iPad 2 or sell it on craigslist for a price that'll earn me profit than what I bought it for (vzw 32gb 3G) for a mb pro..

Kingv84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NyCrAzY said:
I'm debating whether I should keep the iPad 2 or sell it on craigslist for a price that'll earn me profit than what I bought it for (vzw 32gb 3G) for a mb pro..

Why did you buy it then? If you read more about the iPad before opening your wallet, you would not be in this stupid situation.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep it

I have an iPad, MacBook pro, and a PC. I use them each differently but, truthfully, use the iPad more than the other two.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iPad and my Mac, and wouldn't have it any other way, but if you had to choose only one and were on e fence between an iPad or a Mac, I'd suggest getting a MacBook air.

The 11.6 is only a few ounces more than an iPad, only slightly more expensive than the 64GB iPad, and slightly wider, but has the same full computing capabilities of the MacBook Pro, unless of course there are specific features of the Pro that you must have.. in which case, you should get the mb pro. If budget allows, get a Mac and an iPad :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xune said:
I love my iPad and my Mac, and wouldn't have it any other way, but if you had to choose only one and were on e fence between an iPad or a Mac, I'd suggest getting a MacBook air.

The 11.6 is only a few ounces more than an iPad, only slightly more expensive than the 64GB iPad, and slightly wider, but has the same full computing capabilities of the MacBook Pro, unless of course there are specific features of the Pro that you must have.. in which case, you should get the mb pro. If budget allows, get a Mac and an iPad :)

I'll second that!

Good post.

The Archangel

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I have an iPad 1 and an iPad 2. I have a Windows laptop that sits nearly unused due to iPad. Also have a Windows desktop and a Mac mini for home use.

But the iPad 2, while a definite bump up from the iPad 1, didn't wow me as much. Aside from facetime there isn't much that it does more than my iPad 1... and I never really complained about speed on my iPad 1.

So I went to the Apple store yesterday thinking I would get a Macbook Pro. I too was--probably am--going to sell my iPad 2 on CL, if possible (or just return it to Wal-mart for full refund).

Instead I walked out of the Apple store with the cheapest model Macbook Air, at $999. It's not really all that more than an iPad and I think it will be perfect for what I want from a laptop... and also a lot of what I had been using my iPad for. I won't even be putting much on it so am not worried about the 64 GB SSD.

To me the Air fits nicely between an iPad and MacBook Pro. Don't let its specs fool you, it feels very fast and does not seem to struggle with only 2GB RAM.

That said it will probably not replace my iPad 1. As light as the Air is it is still a clamshell device with a physical keyboard. Ergo not quite as easy to use, say, while on the couch or lying in bed before going to sleep.

Michael

cheyenne809

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple crazy

I can't make up my mind!! I have the iPad 2 right now, but will it be worth it on the long run?? Thanks.

I have a HP desk top & 23" monitor. That's the only thing I had & thought I was happy. Then I won a MacBook pro 13" at a penny auction. It seemed so small I was going to give it to my grandson. But I got interested in what Apple was all about.And Snow Leopard & Safari. I became so involved that I decided to keep the Mac. But now I want a 17" and won it & an iPad 2 64 on another penny auction. So I'm going to keep them all until I see which ones are collecting dust. I still have a lot to learn about Apple, etc., hence ,the forum. I would suggest to you, if you plan on taking your iPad with you everywhere, then settle for that. If you use it mainly at home, try the Mac Pro. They are really nice.

TSL88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2, iMac, and a MacBook Pro and I was thinking bout selling my MacBook Pro but then I realized I use all three for their own special reasons. It jus depends on what u would use it for.

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Examine what it is you do/want to do with a computer/hand-held device. If you can do everything that you need to do with the iPad then you're set. If there's something you need to do that the iPad won't do, then you need to look at a computer of some sort.

I have a MacBook Pro 17" that I use for photo editing. Ain't no way an iPad is ever going to handle 1+Gb layered panorama picture files, nor would I expect it to.

On the other hand, the iPad is much easier to use for web surfing/email while playing couch lizard.

My intent is to take the iPad on trips to use it to view my pics (looking for possible re-shoot scenarios) and leave the heavy hauling to the MacBook when I get home.

YMMV :)

Most reactions

Latest posts