What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 not turning on. please help!

jnaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello...I'm new to the forum. Thank you in advance for your help.

My kids were playing on the ipad and now it will not turn on. I have tried to press home and on button and hold it for 30 +secs but nothing is happening. It is also plugged in so it's charged.

Please help.

thanks you kindly.

Np

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
have you held [only] the Sleep button (the one at the top right when the a home button is on the bottom)? If the iPad is turned all the way off, it may take some time for it to come back on (you should see the white Apple logo after a bit).

One idea: Maybe they turned the brightness all the way down? Do a four-finger swipe up owns see if the multitasker bar is revealed. If you can see something, swipe right to reveal the left side. Then you can adjust your brightness slider.

Given that you've tried to reset it (the sleep button and Hold button hold until you see the Apple logo) trick, this is about all I can think of to try. Hopefully, someone else will be along with more suggestions.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so just try one more time please....

Hold home + power for 10 seconds (you don't need to hold for longer). Then release both. Then hold just the power button. Does the Apple logo appear?

If not, just hold power. Does the red "battery depleted" icon appear on screen?

If not, best to make absolutely sure the battery is not exhausted. Plug the iPAd into the mains power using the original iPad charger. No other charger should be used. If the battery is truly depleted you won't get enough charge to get things going again without using a genuine iPad charger (don't use iPhone or laptop / USB charging). Give it at least 1 hour before trying anything.

Let us know how you get on. If none of these work, it could well be a hardware failure and you may need to take it into an Apple store :(

OP
J

jnaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow...i didn't even think of the brightness. I took the ipad to a window and i can faintly see the homepage! Yay...now how can i adjust the brightness?

breadman03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest method for me is to place four fingers on the screen and swipe up. You will see a bar at the bottom of the screen, like this.
8b1ed6c5.jpg

Place one finger on it and swipe to the right and you will see two sliders with play/pause and skip buttons in the middle.
e441d315.jpg

The slider on the left is the one for brightness. Slide it right to make it brighter.

OP
J

jnaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so the brightness is at its highest but the screen is still super dark. The only way i can barely make out what the screen is saying is by having the ipad against a window where the brightness of the sun helps view the screen a bit.

breadman03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be a hardware problem, then.

One interesting phenomenon I discovered is that the iPad polarizes the light emitted from the screen. When wearing my polarized sunglasses, I can't see the screen when holding the iPad vertically, but it looks fine when horizontal.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

OP
J

jnaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can i call apple tech support without them charging me? If so what is a good number to call. Or should i find a apple store or go to bestbuy or will this be too costly?

breadman03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know what it may cost. Things like how old the iPad is and whether you purchased AppleCare will probably factor in.

OP
J

jnaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can i purchase applecare after my warranty has run out? I think out ipad is atleast 2 years old

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jnaa said:
Can i purchase applecare after my warranty has run out? I think out ipad is atleast 2 years old

You need to purchase this before your initial warranty has expired.

Sometimes it takes more than 1 reset before the iPad will correct itself and you have nothing to lose at this point so give it a go.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Most reactions

Latest posts