What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPAD-2 New features. Most of them - Not for me

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad to see they put a port to support charging on the HDMI adapter, lack of charge option is why I never bought the VGA adapter.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just left the Apple Store. Got my price difference and will be buying a set of speakers for my iPad 1 or a new charger cover for my iPhone 4. Love the new release of the iPad 2 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it has 512mb. Kinda low. And it does not have 9x better graphics processing. If it did it would be like 2x better than any technology out today. Its a marketing thing. It might be 9x better in one respect, not overall.
35417.png

can't wait trip see out benchmarks though. Love the power vr sgx chip it uses.

Well we can see how ridiculous that chart is. ROFL

Yes the iPhone 3GS is faster than the iPhone 4 (I have both BTW). Suuuuuuure! I think we can dismiss the whole chart as rubbish if they are expecting anyone to believe that nonsense.

Michael

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Along with garage band n imovies app also wrkin on ipad1, i might just be able to hold out till ipad3

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it has 512mb. Kinda low. And it does not have 9x better graphics processing. If it did it would be like 2x better than any technology out today. Its a marketing thing. It might be 9x better in one respect, not overall.
35417.png

Yes the iPhone 3GS is faster than the iPhone 4 (I have both BTW). Suuuuuuure! I think we can dismiss the whole chart as rubbish if they are expecting anyone to believe that nonsense.

Michael

Lmao, i thght that chart looked funny!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad to see they put a port to support charging on the HDMI adapter, lack of charge option is why I never bought the VGA adapter.

Composite cables let u charge at he same time. I have itn;-)

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
35417.png

Michael

Actually I believe those benchmarks are correct, but you have to dive into it a little bit. The iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS are both running the exact same GPU. However, the iPhone 4 is running at a much higher resolution than the 3GS is. It makes sense that a benchmark running at each device's native resolution (pretty sure there is no other option anyhow) is going to give results like this. When it comes to apps that rely heavily on the GPU the lower resolution device is going to win.

I'm sure that the iPhone 4 is overall a much snappier device for overall usage, but when it comes to graphically intense apps it simply isn't going to push the frame rate as fast as a lower resolution device can.

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I believe those benchmarks are correct, but you have to dive into it a little bit. The iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS are both running the exact same GPU. However, the iPhone 4 is running at a much higher resolution than the 3GS is. It makes sense that a benchmark running at each device's native resolution (pretty sure there is no other option anyhow) is going to give results like this. When it comes to apps that rely heavily on the GPU the lower resolution device is going to win.

I'm sure that the iPhone 4 is overall a much snappier device for overall usage, but when it comes to graphically intense apps it simply isn't going to push the frame rate as fast as a lower resolution device can.
Nonsense. Whatever "benchmark" algorithm they used obviously is slanted against the A4 CPU. That is the only thing this asinine chart "proves."

Moreover every single graphical application for the iPhone 4 runs faster than on the 3GS. Trust me, I measured many as I own both. Go back to the iPhone 4's release to see just how "slow" it was... lol.

This is a classic example of benchmark testing runamuck.... or, more likely, run to achieve the results someone wanted to see.

Michael

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Nonsense. Whatever "benchmark" algorithm they used obviously is slanted against the A4 CPU. That is the only thing this asinine chart "proves."

Moreover every single graphical application for the iPhone 4 runs faster than on the 3GS. Trust me, I measured many as I own both. Go back to the iPhone 4's release to see just how "slow" it was... lol.

This is a classic example of benchmark testing runamuck.... or, more likely, run to achieve the results someone wanted to see.

Michael

How is it nonsense? It makes perfect sense. If I run Crysis on my PC at 800x600 I am going to get much better frame rates than I am at 1680x1050. Those benchmarks are only to show how the GPU functions, it isn't like they are saying the iPhone 4 is a slower device than anything else on the chart.

Anand is one of the more respected tech analysts around. Moreover he is an Apple user and very pro-Apple, although still realistic, in his reviews. I don't think he has a personal vendetta against Apple or the A4.

Since you have measured (which I assume means bench marked) the two devices it would be interesting to see your results.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael

How is it nonsense? It makes perfect sense. If I run Crysis on my PC at 800x600 I am going to get much better frame rates than I am at 1680x1050. Those benchmarks are only to show how the GPU functions, it isn't like they are saying the iPhone 4 is a slower device than anything else on the chart.

Anand is one of the more respected tech analysts around. Moreover he is an Apple user and very pro-Apple, although still realistic, in his reviews. I don't think he has a personal vendetta against Apple or the A4.

Since you have measured (which I assume means bench marked) the two devices it would be interesting to see your results.
LOL... It's nonsense because it is frame-rate on my graphic intensive apps that perform better on i4 than 3GS. This chart would have you believe it would be 3x slower. Nonsense indeed.

Show me one app out there that runs slower on a 4 than a 3GS--not counting this benchmark app, obviously.

It's not about just the GPU either... it's about CPU, RAM, interconnect speeds, etc.

So pick any app out currently that you think should be faster on a 3GS Vs iPhone 4... and I will test it. Just one will do... here is one example: Infinity Blade. I won't even play it on my 3GS it has too much slowdown. Full speed on my iPhone 4 and iPad. That is about the most graphic intensive game I have installed at the moment.

Michael

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
35417.png

Michael

You do understand that the iPhone 4 is pushing 4 times the pixels compared to the 3gs right? I love when people call out things so vehemently when they don't really know what they are talking about.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael

LOL. You are calling out ANANDTECH and GLBENCHMARKS as biased? Oh this is precious.

If you decide to abandon your anecdotal evidence for half a second and read this:

http://www.glbenchmark.com/compare....only=2&D1=Apple iPhone 4&D2=Apple iPhone 3G S

maybe this thread could get back on track talking about the iPad2.

Last edited:

Most reactions