What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Music makers unite :-)

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
Hi guys ! My. main reason to buy iPad 2 was musicmaking. I'm a singer, songwriter and k-board player and I have dreamed about taking my studio to the road for a very long time. Now its possible, thanks to iPad2. There are lot of good music apps for iPad not only for sketching the ideas, but to record and render full Studio ready songs.
Anyway - I have a number of different synths, loopers, drum computers and sequencers in my iPad2, but what I really miss is some sequencer, that has one special feature ! i dont know, how its on English, so I will describe it. Imost of the sequencers you have to record the whle song from the beginning to end, startimg with intro , ect. What Im looking for is, that I can make any part of the song at any time and any sequenceand then vary and line up the made grooves or sequences to form a song. For example I first play the full arrangement for coda and name it or number it (coda 1, coda 2 ect), then I make maybe the verse parts or ref parts (vers 1, ref 2 ect). Maybe only then I have the idea for intro, so I make it and name it (intro 1). To make the song, I have to go to "sequence" or "song" window, and type, what part to play and when. Like song succession "timeline", where you can add Your recorded grooves or sequences (or loops) or parts of the song as blocks. This would be a nice feature in apps like Fruity Loops !

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a specific thread devoted to Music Making and Recording on the iPad, so it might be worth having a look there to see if your question is answered. I'm not a musician but I've seen many contributions being made to that thread.

Tim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Manchoa said:
a link may e ?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I can't give you the link (im on the app) but the following is the thread title so a quick copy paste and search will find it......

Multitrack Recording on the iPad 2 and one. All your questions answered

The Archangel

OP
Manchoa

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
the Alesis iO dock is now shipping, price 200 EUR. Thinking of buying it.

Specs:
AUDIO INPUTS
2 x XLR-1/4" Balanced TRS
Individual gain controls
Phantom power, switchable
Guitar (high-impedance) switch on Input 2

AUDIO OUTPUTS
2 x 1/4" Balanced TRS Main
1/4" TRS Headphone
Individual level controls

VIDEO OUTPUT
RCA Composite (requires compatible apps)

CONTROL I/O
MIDI In (DIN)
MIDI Out (DIN)
USB MIDI
1/4" Footswitch (function assigned by apps)

so everything you need to turn you iPad 2 to a portable pro music studio :) nice....

Alesis_io_dock_comp.jpg

alesis-io-dock-546x306.jpg

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alesis iO dock actually €168 + postage in

Thomann.de

You can observe in the pics above dock is holding a first gen iPad. :D

MacMicron (proud owner)

Edit: out of stock until oKtober!!! grgrgrgrrr.:mad:

Last edited:

roccotanto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that Alesis IOdock is VERY cool looking -- saw one in stock at Best Buy yesterday, and was tempted to buy it!

i have been a musician for 30 years, have 7 albums out, and am an ambient/electronic music composer.

i bought my IPAD for the usual internet browsing, reading eBooks, playing games, and MUSIC.

i love the idea of being able to record little song demos anywhere anytime with the IPAD.

i am sure i will be contributing more and more to the music threads as i get more deeply into my IPAD :D

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Manchoa said:
the Alesis iO dock is now shipping, price 200 EUR. Thinking of buying it.

Specs:
AUDIO INPUTS
2 x XLR-1/4" Balanced TRS
Individual gain controls
Phantom power, switchable
Guitar (high-impedance) switch on Input 2

AUDIO OUTPUTS
2 x 1/4" Balanced TRS Main
1/4" TRS Headphone
Individual level controls

VIDEO OUTPUT
RCA Composite (requires compatible apps)

CONTROL I/O
MIDI In (DIN)
MIDI Out (DIN)
USB MIDI
1/4" Footswitch (function assigned by apps)

so everything you need to turn you iPad 2 to a portable pro music studio :) nice....

That is ultra cool!

The Archangel

OP
Manchoa

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
I'm a performing musician (singer, k-boards, electronic, samplesrs ect) playing electro and italop-pop (80's) music. Now i have used my ipad in live gigs for coup,e of time and its just perfect. I use it as a sampler, soundfont player and synth via core midi with my Roland midi controller. From software I use (and suggest) Garage band (ofcourse), but also Aurora sound studio, Electify, Sound Trends Studio HD, iSequence, SunVox, Fruity Loops Studio Hd, Music studio, good old ReBrith and from sytnhs iVoxel (vocoder synth), Bs-16i (soundfont player), iSynPoly, EPS (electric piano synth), Akai synth station and Synth! (sampler). And ofcourse iElectribe and DM1 for drums

Sent from Tommy's iPad2 using iPF

OP
Manchoa

Manchoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.catarsis.eu
i know the Alesis iO Dock has still a lot of problems. It will drop notes in midi and has so e problem with audio latency and clipping. So i decided to wait until it has better firmware. So i bought Camera connection kit to use it with usb mic or maybe some usb audio interface. and you know what, it works perfect with my TC-Helicon voicelive touch ! So now i can use all my profi mics with my ipad2. I tested it only with garageband and only mic. I an choose between mono or stere recording to use the stere effects, i still need to test the guitar input and AUX input.

Sent from Tommy's iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts