What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Movie questions......

dssxxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to use Airstash with a 32GB card and download videos to the PC and transfer to the Airstash card and then over to the iPad 2.

Can anyone explain what else I will need and also any instructions to get this to work properly.

Thanks to all.........this is very new to me and need as much help as possible. This is probably the most important item that I will be using the iPad to accomplish. Watching movies I have ripped from my DVD's and watching during flights.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
dssxxxx said:
I would like to use Airstash with a 32GB card and download videos to the PC and transfer to the Airstash card and then over to the iPad 2.

Can anyone explain what else I will need and also any instructions to get this to work properly.

Thanks to all.........this is very new to me and need as much help as possible. This is probably the most important item that I will be using the iPad to accomplish. Watching movies I have ripped from my DVD's and watching during flights.

by the looks of things, you can only transfer photos from the airstash to the iPad, and only stream movies

I haven't ripped a DVD movie in ages, but going from memory, if you rip to mp4 format, and then transfer either via iTunes or via the apple memory card reader, it should put it onto the iPad

link to camera kit

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

but the whole point of the airstash is to stream media to the iPad

I'd test and confirm, but I can't find my camera kit :(

Last edited:

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
dssxxxx said:

ok, good news, finally found it, and after playing around to refresh memory, here is what you need to do

1. create a folder in the root directory called DCIM
2. create a folder in the DCIM directory called 101MSDCF
3. copy your movie file to 101MSDCF folder
4. rename movie file if needs be to DSC00001.mp4
5. fire up photo app on iPad
6. you should see a tab called camera, open that tab, select movie and copy to iPad, it won't play direct from sd card, don't know about airstash though

all done, now this works using the camera kit with a sd card, not sure if it will work with airstash though

or you could try installing air video on the iPad, that might work also

actually, thinking about it, try air video first :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
dssxxxx said:

AirStash works very simple.

You plug in the SD card into the AirStash, click on the Wifi button on the AirStash, it creates a wifi network (so the AirStash works independently. You only need the AirStash and the iPad, nothing else).
Join the wifi network from your iPad and open AirStash from your iPad. Videos will be streamed, so you just browse the AirStash, select the video you want to watch and it works. The video doesn't get copied over to your iPad, as a whole.

Let me know, if this cleared up your questions.

Last edited:

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow airstash looks pretty neat for this use in-flight...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is a short video someone made on how the video streaming works with the AirStash:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrVFSopptns&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

As long as turning on Wifi is allowed, and many planes nowadays even offer their own Wifi services, so you should be allowed to create your own wifi, than the AirStash is a really easy way to watch movies.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cult of Mac reports problems with

Airstash. You may want to take a deep breath and continue research.

"File transfers between the AirStash and my iPhone 4 were slow, but browsing the files on the AirStash wasn’t bad. Since it is only capable of connecting using the Wi-Fi B or G protocols that might explain why it was so slow. I often sat waiting a long time for movies to stream to my iPhone 4 and start playing. Access to photos and music by comparison was fairly quick. Streaming video on the iPad was too jittery to even consider using."

AirStash Wi-Fi Media Streamer: Good Idea, Badly Implemented [Review] | Cult of Mac

Reaction score
@Wolfpuppies

That review from MacCult is for an older version. The main critique of the article was the software side of the Airstash and that there is no separate app. There now is an app called AirStash+ (what a surprise).

At least take a look at the Engadget video review, it is from this year ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRltlLp2Ujo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks dontunderstandmy iPad

They are not shipping before May 12. I am going to try one when they are available.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an air stash last week and it works perfectly.

I copied six ripped DVD movies to a 32 gig card I had lying around to try it out. The movies load almost instantly and stream perfectly.

It is a virtually perfect device for watching movies during long plane flights.

Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
I got an air stash last week and it works perfectly.

I copied six ripped DVD movies to a 32 gig card I had lying around to try it out. The movies load almost instantly and stream perfectly.

It is a virtually perfect device for watching movies during long plane flights.

That is great news. Seems as if the developers have worked on the software end.

Which resolution are the ripped movies in?

If it really works so easily, I may just buy one, too. As it is really simple to load the movies onto an SD card ;)

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
Which resolution are the ripped movies in?

If it really works so easily, I may just buy one, too. As it is really simple to load the movies onto an SD card ;)

I'll have to check tonight when I get home from my business.

I use CuCusoft Ultimate Convertor Suite to rip and I've been using the same settings for years. I started ripping for a series of Windows phones and then for my current DroidX. I don't use a stock pre-set, I altered the settings some.

I figured with the ipad2 I would probably want to rip at a little higher res, but the rips from my droid look absolutely amazing on the ipad2 so I guess I'll just keep using the same settings and use the rips in my phone and the iPad.

I'll look up what the settings are and postk them later.

As far as the air stash, the thing is awesome. I can't say anything bad about it. The movies I've tried load in about 2 seconds from perfect browser and stream perfectly.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
released in the UK yet?

can't find a UK seller :( so until then air video server will have to do

Most reactions