What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 modem no longer works

OlyDLG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't detect my router, or even my other Apple devices (a MacBook Air and an iPhone 6+): any way to confirm diagnosis? (I found the Diagnostics data under About under General Settings--didn't see anything directly implicating my modem, but the file was huge, w/ lots of extraneous thread reports, so I didn't scan the whole thing--too bad there's no way to search it--would that kind of info be near the bottom of such a file?)

Given another thread I saw in here, I suppose I should just take it into an Apple store...I may get lucky!

Thanks!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't detect my router, or even my other Apple devices (a MacBook Air and an iPhone 6+): any way to confirm diagnosis? (I found the Diagnostics data under About under General Settings--didn't see anything directly implicating my modem, but the file was huge, w/ lots of extraneous thread reports, so I didn't scan the whole thing--too bad there's no way to search it--would that kind of info be near the bottom of such a file?)

Given another thread I saw in here, I suppose I should just take it into an Apple store...I may get lucky!

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum Oly:)
Before you do that it could be worthwhile "rebooting" your modem/router. Turn off from the power source, wait for a minute and restart again. That has often helped with similar problems. Just say "Tsk" and ignore this advice if you have already tried that:)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide some further information: 1) iPad model (assume an iPad 2 from the sub-forum posted); 2) iOS installed (be specific - current one is 8.3); 3) Do your other devices work w/ your router; 4) Have you recently upgraded or updated the iPad's iOS, and if so from what version; and 5) Have you 'Reset' the device? The last item requires holding down the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears and the iPad reboots.

But for starters if the reset is of no help, you might want to go into your Wi-Fi settings, click on the network that is active (assume your home network's SSID), and then pick 'Forget This Network' - have the iPad rescan for near Wi-Fi networks and re-connect. Finally, if unsuccessful, does your iPad connect to other Wi-Fi networks, such as at a Wi-Fi hotspot (e.g. Starbucks, restaurants, etc.)? Dave

P.S. for clarity, your iPad does not have a modem, but 'radios', one for Wi-Fi, another for Bluetooth, and possibly a cellular one if that was your purchase option.

Last edited:
OP
O

OlyDLG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide some further information: 1) iPad model (assume an iPad 2 from the sub-forum posted); 2) iOS installed (be specific - current one is 8.3);

7.x.x (not w/ the device right now to check exactly).

3) Do your other devices work w/ your router;

Yes.

4) Have you recently upgraded or updated the iPad's iOS, and if so from what version;

Is this possible (seeing as how I can't connect to anything)?

and 5) Have you 'Reset' the device? The last item requires holding down the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears and the iPad reboots.

Yes.

But for starters if the reset is of no help, you might want to go into your Wi-Fi settings, click on the network that is active

According to the Wi-Fi settings, there is not only no active network, there's no network at all: that's the point, my iPad doesn't report detecting any sort of signal at all, not router Wi-Fi, not Bluetooth, not my other Apple devices. (I was under the impression, perhaps wrong, that even w/ no router, my iPad should at least be able to recognize and network w/ other Apple devices.)

(assume your home network's SSID), and then pick 'Forget This Network'

It's not showing any networks to forget. (See above)

- have the iPad rescan for near Wi-Fi networks and re-connect. Finally, if unsuccessful, does your iPad connect to other Wi-Fi networks, such as at a Wi-Fi hotspot (e.g. Starbucks, restaurants, etc.)?

One more time: it doesn't see any networks (or, more accurately, it doesn't report seeing any). It's not a connection problem, it's a detection problem.

Dave

P.S. for clarity, your iPad does not have a modem, but 'radios', one for Wi-Fi, another for Bluetooth, and possibly a cellular one if that was your purchase option.

Ok, then, is there a definitive test for a broken "radio"?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'd have to have a diagnostic done, either at an Apple Store Genius Bar of an authorized repair shop. This would discover whether or not you have a hardware problem causing you connection problems.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You'd have to have a diagnostic done, either at an Apple Store Genius Bar of an authorized repair shop. This would discover whether or not you have a hardware problem causing you connection problems.

@ OlyDLG - well I have to agree w/ the above after your responses to my questions - good luck and please let us know what is found - :) Dave

P.S. by item #4, I mean't had you recently updated or upgraded iOS, and then did the problem start - sorry if confusing?

Most reactions