What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD 2 missing volume slider

Williebear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am at my wits end with this. I can get sound from sounds, from dock, from headphones but nothing without anything connected. I have restored the ipad with no apps issue same. I plug in headphones and bing slider appears.. i then changed the headphone jack as per some tips online... same...i then changed the internal docking charger same...I set an alarm ...bing it works..so to recap...i get sounds from sound app / alarm / notifications......sound when docked and with headphones...nothing without headset and the slider disappears...
any experts out there help someone who has tried to help themselves but failed miserably...;-)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turn Bluetooth off, just in case your volume is being redirected to there for some arcane reason.

Also go to Settings/Sounds/Change with buttons and turn it off. That disables the volume control for sound effects, and may force it back to controlling your speaker volume.

We have had this issue in the past and never found a satisfactory solution as far as I know.

OP
W

Williebear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks should have said i have tried this numerous times..

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Williebear said:
Hi All,
I am at my wits end with this. I can get sound from sounds, from dock, from headphones but nothing without anything connected. I have restored the ipad with no apps issue same. I plug in headphones and bing slider appears.. i then changed the headphone jack as per some tips online... same...i then changed the internal docking charger same...I set an alarm ...bing it works..so to recap...i get sounds from sound app / alarm / notifications......sound when docked and with headphones...nothing without headset and the slider disappears...
any experts out there help someone who has tried to help themselves but failed miserably...;-)

Sounds like there might be a problem in the headphone jack. Try plugging and unplugging a headphone plug rapidly many times. See if that clears it up. It seems the contacts in the jack which disconnect the speaker when headphones are in use, are not reconnecting when the plug is removed. A small amount of methyl alcohol on the plug before the rapid in-out may help to clean the contacts. Let us know the result.

OP
W

Williebear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
already replaced that and the dock connector....hmm its doing my head in...

OP
W

Williebear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok... #. tried settings / switched off bluetooth
#change with buttons off
#. side toggle
#. full restore
#. replaced headphone jack(internal)
# replaced dock (internal)
with ipad docked there is sound and slider
with headphone connected there is sound as slider
tested sounds then ringtones... crystal clear.

the only thing i can think of is the main board / speaker ( if there is 2 channels going to it)

Most reactions

Latest posts