What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 locked or unlocked?

purpleowl68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I bought an iPad 2nd generation from a Cash Converters store about a month ago. I am now trying to sell it on ebay and have been asked if it is locked or not. I have no idea what they mean. I know what it means for a mobile phone, but I know nothing about iPads. There doesn't even seem to be a place for a sim card. I wasn't even aware you could make calls from it, though I have seen the option for facetime. I have read numerous posts on this site and others about the subject but still don't really understand how to tell. There is no option under 'settings' for carrier information as there is on my iphone, so I am unsure where to look.

I have only ever used it via my home wifi connection or paired with my iphone via the personal hotspot. I would appreciate any advice please. Also, I am in Australia, so don't know anything about the verizon and AT&T that I have read on here.

ocinnhoj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to make the story short,,, tell them its unlocked,,,,

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to make the story short,,, tell them its unlocked,,,,

Um, no, that would be deceitful!

From what you say, it appears to be from the USA originally? If that is the case then if it is AT&T I don't believe that they are locked (because lots of people from the UK bought them and stuck local SIM's in). If it is Verizon, however, then it won't have a SIM tray as it uses CDMA and not GSM, as such I don't know if CDMA works where you are?

For a simple test, get down to a local mobile shop and ask for a data SIM, stick it in and if it tries to connect it isn't locked.

EDIT: I missed the bit in your post about no SIM tray, if it is truly an American iPad and is definitely cellular then it's a CDMA (see above) iPad. To check this grab the iPads serial/model number and google it or check on the Apple.com website.

The Archangel

Last edited:
OP
P

purpleowl68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought in Australia locally, so not originally from USA. No sim port so from what you say then it's CDMA. I shall do the google check of serial number to be sure. Thanks heaps.

OP
P

purpleowl68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To check this grab the iPads serial/model number and google it or check on the Apple.com website.

The Archangel

I've tried that and have come up with zilch. I'll just have to tell them as much info as possible and hopefully whoever buys it knows more about them than me.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bought in Australia locally, so not originally from USA. No sim port so from what you say then it's CDMA. I shall do the google check of serial number to be sure. Thanks heaps.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

As far as I know all iPads here in Australia are GSM and if you don't have a sim tray ( top left side when held in portrait mode) then your iPad isn't 3G and therefore this doesn't apply. I have an iPad 2 3G and none were locked when I bought mine, this may have changed since, I don't know either way, but yours isn't.

Go to Settngs - General - About and look for Model and Google it.

Most reactions