iPad 2 keyboard case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by HafMan, Jan 8, 2012.

1. HafMan

HafMan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all,
    I'm in the process of looking for a keyboard case that I can use for college and while I'm at work.
    I ideally want one that will hold my iPad while I'm not using it, not just one like the Logitech where you place it on a stand.

I've used the search function but can't find anything on what I'm looking for.
    Im after one that is like a leather folio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    HafMan
  2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Suggest checking out Amazon for starters. There are loads of them.

Amazon's Windowshop app is great for browsing -- plenty of photos so you can quickly skim through options once you've done a search.
  3. canuk

canuk iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use a Targus keyboard and leather case, it works really well but it was almost $100 in Canada but i think it was worth the money
  4. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,124 / 1
    Hey Hafman--

My husband was going to buy me this one from Brookstone-check this out:

Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolios at Brookstone

S
    eems like it has pretty good reviews, and look-it's on sale. I actually like the ipad keyboard and chose not to get the extra keyboard, but if you are going to do some heavy typing--than this may be something to consider. :)
  5. HafMan

HafMan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,124 / 1
    Wow-the crux makes it look like a notebook! Isn't nice to have all of these choices!! Good luck!!
  7. rcormier

rcormier iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own the brookstone keyboard and case. It works very well on flat surfaces. For working on your lap it can sometimes be difficult because the iPad may tip. It is also nice because you can fold the case so the keyboard is out of the way and the iPad is again a tablet.
  8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  9. Redneck_Randy

Redneck_Randy iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I bought that Rocketfish case in the link above. It has a very cheap feel to it and the angle it sits at make for hard typing and viewing the screen. I boxed it back and returned it for a refund.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Glad you posted that. Might save someone time and money.
  11. DylanKean

DylanKean iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like this iPad 2 Keyboard, but it is too Expensive.

12. PreVoiD

PreVoiD iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I must give the Logitech (ZAGG) Keyboard Case a little love, even though you want something even more robust and protective.

Sure, the logitech case doesn't cover the backside. But that's easily fixed with an invisible shield. I also have a "real" case from Targus which also features a built in keyboard. Too bad I tend to leave it behind and go for my logitech keyboard case instead - due to the fact that the whole masterpiece becomes SO much smaller compared to the targus case. It's like comparing an macbook air with a macbook pro 17". I use this combo at University every day, and I still haven't made any scratches whatsoever on either the iPad or the keyboard case.

It really ain't that bad, that's all I wanted to say! :)
  13. TommyB

TommyB iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +464 / 0
    Love the Belkin keyboard folio.
  14. McTablet_T2C

McTablet_T2C iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I would say the Belkin and ZAGG are the best ones out there, also the Kensington one seems nice.
    I never physically held the Rocetfish one in my hands but does look a bit dodgy. (as mentioned before)

You can check our site, has about 7 different ones there, fully reviewed
    :eek:
  15. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    And your site is? Here is my ongoing search. I must have a light portable keyboard. Portable is the big point for me. I don't know about most of you but I read my IPad Niall three axis while standing, walking in bed. So the problem is having a case that doubles the thickness and weight of the iPad.
    So to date I have no keyboard sadly.

Cheers
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  16. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    One of our supporting vendors http://www.Tablet2Cases.com/

The Archangel
  17. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Perhaps it bears noting that brands like "Rocketfish" (Best Buy) and Brookstone are actually re-branded versions of products sourced from various manufacturers. AFAIK, neither Best Buy nor Brookstone actually manufacturers any of these products. Since the "value added" by Best Buy and Brookstone consists mainly of putting their logo on the product (and possibly adding their own warranty policy), identical products are often available from other sources usually at a lower price. By the same token, at least in my experience, the quality of the items from Brookstone and Rocketfish leaves something to be desired. YMMV, of course.

BTW, as I've noted in other threads, I'm not a big fan of iPad cases that include keyboards for two reasons. First, such cases almost always sacrifice keyboard size to cram the keyboard into a form factor that fits the iPad. In contrast, the Apple Wireless Keyboard is almost two inches wider than the iPad (in landscape orientation). That makes for a much better i.e. less cramped (imo) typing experience, especially if you're accustomed to a full size (or even a laptop size) keyboard. If you're not a fast typist it may make little difference to you. But if you're a skilled typist the cramped typing position can significantly impact both error rate and speed.

Second, if you think about it, there is no other single accessory with more moving parts than a keyboard. And once a single key "goes bad" the keyboard as a whole is likely to be useless. I'm skeptical about the long term durability of keyboards usually included in keyboard/iPad combo cases. Not true of all, I'm sure, but common sense says that if a keyboard and case is selling for less than $50 while good keyboards usually sell for about that much or more, there is some cost cutting going on somewhere.

As this all suggests, I'm a keyboard snob. I do lots and lots of typing every day. So if you're only an occasional user these cautions may not apply. But if you expect to use a keyboard for an extended period and for significant amounts of writing, be cautious about trying to save money on a keyboard.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  18. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    In you opinion. If one were to choose the full keyboard method, which one would you go with and why. This does not hijack the post since it is just an alternate view that a separate method is the way to go. What is the bet keyboard? Does it work to carry it in your backpack? What about battery life & activation time. In my mind the best would be a big full size with my iPad connected to a 24 in monitor pounding out answers to all the worlds ills.

Cheers
  19. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    I've used two keyboards with the iPad. The Apple Wireless Keyboard works well with the Origami Workstation (which is designed as a case for the keyboard and as a stand for the iPad). In addition, I have a Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Portable Keyboard. It's slightly wider (l to r) than the AWK and is ergonomically curved to avoid wrist strain. The latter is much less expensive than the former (less than $40 versus $70.) but a stand to support the iPad is necessary. (I used the Belkin FlipBlade Adjust.) Either solution fits well in a small messenger bag (I have a Timbuk2 Freestyle messenger bag) and the AWK and OW fit into an even smaller bag (the Travel Express from Waterfield Design.) BTW, Microsoft now sells another bluetooth keyboard (the 5000 versus the 6000 I have) but as far as I can tell, it's the same keyboard at a higher price.

Logitech also makes very good keyboards and have several models designed for the iPad. One is similar to the OW/AWK design. The keyboard case doubles as a stand for the iPad and it's less expensive than purchasing the AWK and OW separately. Not as neat a design, though. And they also have the only "foldable" near full size keyboard that doubles as a case for the iPad. But reviews indicate it's relatively heavy and at $129 it's the most expensive solution.
  20. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    So just to be clear with your varied experience and for the rest of the group. The folio keyboard is a poor idea due to weight, keyboard failure resulting in the entire case failing and small size keys gaining you nothing. So the optimum plan would be the MS 5000/6000 which has great feel & size however you need a stand.

If I am correct with the above, my folio (Marare c.e.o) has a stand built-in stand so all I need to do is size check my backpack. ebay://launch?itm=250887710862
    COOL black 1STRAP SHOULDER MESSENGER SLING BACK
    And if it all lines up well, then

Cheers