What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 keeps restarting

PADK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've an iPad 2 32Gb. I just bought it second hand for my 8 year old daughter. I bought it second hand because I have to keep the cost down. The seller told me that it had an error 9 in iTunes. I hoped I could fix it with out to many problems. But unfortunately not...

When ever plugged in to the wall outlet it's not charging. It shows the big battery logo centered and then it keeps changing between the little Apple logo and the iTune plugin logo. When plugged in to the computer iTune says new iPad found which needs to be restored. Pressing okay and downloading latest iPad update. Then the iPad restarts and presents the bigger Apple logo with a Progress bar underneath. Then it restarts after 10-15 seconds and I'm back to Square 1. When it restarts iTunes says and unknown error has ocurred (error 9). I've seen error 2009 and 3004 as well.

So far I've tried to bring it to recovery mode, pressing on/off button and home simoultainesly. Letting go of the on/off button and inserting the cable. 10 seconds letting the home button go. Getting the iTunes connect logo and bringing it to recovery mode. Then the same problem repeats itself.

Seems like it just wont install the software.

Does this sound familiar? Is there a work-around this problem?

I just don't have the economy to go to the Apple store - so I'm hoping for a Little Christmas miracle!

Best regards

Peter

Last edited:
OP
P

PADK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE

Tried the guide on this site restoring an iPad on the failsafe method. Put in DFU mode. Trying to restore and I get the same error number 9. I have of course disconnected all third party software, antivirus and connected the iPad directly to the PC and updated iTunes...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE Tried the guide on this site restoring an iPad on the failsafe method. Put in DFU mode. Trying to restore and I get the same error number 9. I have of course disconnected all third party software, antivirus and connected the iPad directly to the PC and updated iTunes...
Hi, Peter! Welcome to iPF!

Error 9 in iTunes means that your iPad lost USB connection to the computer unexpectedly. Did you also try to use different USB ports on your PC?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmmm, add in the charging problem and I'm thinking that the connector on the iPad may be faulty. Or it could be the charging/USB cable. Borrow another cable (if you can) and give it another go.

OP
P

PADK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys - and thanks for your replys. I tried 2 other cables, a different computer and other usb-ports. Seems like the iPad is stuck in a loop. The suggestion with the faulty connector might be right. What is wondering me is that iTune finds the iPad and tries to restore it. It shouldn't be able to do so with a faulty connector- or?

:) Peter

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the cable is faulty, as opposed to completely failed, it may work intermittently, or with errors. Either of which 'might' give the symptoms you reported. However, since you've tried other cables, done the DFU thing etc., it's probably the iPad itself, with the connector being the primary suspect.

At any rate it looks increasingly like you won't be able to use the iPad unless you get it repaired. You might find a third party repair shop at a reasonable price, but it's probably going to be cheaper in the long run to just by a new or refurbished iPad 2 from Apple.

I think you've lost this gamble.

But in case you've missed a bet, take a look at this thread and give it a try.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts